Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I moved here from Florida at the same time and remember only one grocery store as well. You had your choice of Pizza Hut and Safari Grill (a terrible restaurant where Briggs is now) and that was pretty much it. I could make it from my house at the corner of Wake/Granville/Franklin line near where Shetz is now on Capital to Millbrook and Capital in 19 minutes.

I actually prefer it now with more restaurants and stuff (and Target, which was a life changer), but wish that the growth would stop soon.
Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 06:53 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Wakefield Plantation is probably not as much "in decline" as it is in "changing of seasons"... similar to some other giant master-planned communities built up in the same era like Lochmere and Preston..

In the 90s/early 2000s....those particular "mega-developments" were the places to be. Large homes filled with families with school-aged kids; largely my generation of kids!

Now we're all grown up and out of the house....and those neighborhoods aren't the hype they used to be for families and are now largely filled with empty-nesters in their 50s/60s; many of whom want to downsize.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
When Wakefield was being built, the prices really shot up. The golf course had a lot to do with that.

When we had the slowdown, it seemed like the homes in Wakefield were hit the hardest. They have rebounded somewhat.

I have noticed that the homes in the $350,000s and $450,000s that back to the golf course aren't getting what they used to. Seems like those folks paid a large premium for the lot and buyers aren't willing to pay that same premium.

I don't have any stats to back this up. It is just what I'm seeing as I had a client that wanted to buy a home that backed up to the course and this is what we noticed.

I just closed on a smaller home with a master down (Pulte section). Those seem to maintain their value.

If you do buy in that area, make sure you get a radon test.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Long time resident of Wakefield here. Been here since 1999. Seems normal to me.

My new business has me on the road all over town (not just North Raleigh and Wake Forest but often into Cary and Apex and Holly Springs) and the traffic is awful just about all over the place. Good sign of a strong economy like someone said, which is great for business (for me) but bad for getting places expediently.

I'm sure selling my house right now would yield a loss (we added a ton of crazy stuff) but we plan to be here another 15-30 years so I don't really care about that.

As far as the mood and the transiency, everything seems normal here. If anything I see fewer homes for sale than a few years back just after the crash, but this is not scientific.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:43 PM

299 posts, read 249,396 times
'Good sign of a strong economy like someone said'

No just a sign of more cars. When I moved to Wake Forest the economy was much better than it is now with...........much less traffic.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
'Good sign of a strong economy like someone said'

No just a sign of more cars. When I moved to Wake Forest the economy was much better than it is now with...........much less traffic.
One of the metrics in transportation engineering - "Vehicle Miles Traveled" does get impacted when the economy goes sour (it'll stabilize or decrease)

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...lving-behavior

Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Long time resident of Wakefield here. Been here since 1999. Seems normal to me.

My new business has me on the road all over town (not just North Raleigh and Wake Forest but often into Cary and Apex and Holly Springs) and the traffic is awful just about all over the place. Good sign of a strong economy like someone said, which is great for business (for me) but bad for getting places expediently.

I'm sure selling my house right now would yield a loss (we added a ton of crazy stuff) but we plan to be here another 15-30 years so I don't really care about that.

As far as the mood and the transiency, everything seems normal here. If anything I see fewer homes for sale than a few years back just after the crash, but this is not scientific.
You bought a house in 1999 and would take a loss if you sold it now?!?!?!

Old 02-10-2017, 07:37 PM

166 posts, read 163,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I don't think he meant it depreciated from original sales price, but rather that he did a lot of custom improvements that are to his family's taste and preference. Unless improvements are done with a mind toward future sale and designed to appeal to a wide audience, you can usually expect to take a loss (on the amount invested in improvements) in the short-term if you sell, but it sounds like his plan is to stay long-term.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Many of the improvements are documented in threads here on C-D, with some very cool pictures.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
I don't think he meant it depreciated from original sales price, but rather that he did a lot of custom improvements that are to his family's taste and preference. Unless improvements are done with a mind toward future sale and designed to appeal to a wide audience, you can usually expect to take a loss (on the amount invested in improvements) in the short-term if you sell, but it sounds like his plan is to stay long-term.
McWallace and cheapdad00 are correct. I've got the solar and geothermal money back already, I think, or at least very close, but the massive shop (650sf, with full basement) and pool and screened porch may be losing ventures, at least as far as resale is concerned. Don't care, though, we're here for the long haul and I love working in my shop. I can even use it for my business now, so yay, tax writeoff (a bit)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary