Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 AM

269 posts, read 943,770 times

Advertisements

I know that this subject is constantly being discussed, but it seems when discussions arise it pertains mostly to Cary.

How are the reassignments affecting other areas? Particularly Wake Forest?

Last edited by autumngal; 03-03-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: changed title for members to see if they can help with info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
Cary is hardest hit because of the constant growth.

Wake forest is affected, but not to the extent Cary is.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
There's a new elem school scheduled to open in the WF area in 2010-11 and that will significantly impact assignments in the area. Wake Forest Elem is a traditional opt out school for some year round folks next year, so I would expect to see some extra students there who aren't necessarily from the immediate area. Nothing wrong with having kids from outside the area, but its just a different dynamic. We are experiencing this at our school right now.

Some areas around WF (east side) are assigned to Knightdale HS instead of WF-Rolesville. Not only are those kids traveling a long distance when WF-Rolesville is MUCH closer, but Knightdale HS is not very good. I would avoid those areas if you have kids in HS or close to that age. Of course, there's no guarantee that you won't get reassigned but I would definitely not move to a neighborhood zoned for Knightdale HS.

Although Heritage HS is supposed to open in a few years so that will shake things up anyway.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 AM

My kids are 2 & 3 so high school is a loooooooong way off yet. Any opinions on Jones Dairy Elementary?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Hmm. . . I don't think fighting something you are against, or is educationally NOT sound, is ever "beating a dead horse." Au contraire, not getting involved, ignoring the situation, or letting others take up the rallying cry, is like letting that old nag limp along.

Cary does seem to be affected, in some areas. The children where I am walk to their elementary school.

Cary parents have been so disgusted by the constant reassignments (largely due to growth) until they threatened, just recently, to pull away from WCPSS. Some reassignments cannot be helped, but it shouldn't involve busing children for 20-30 minutes across town to just achieve 'diversity.' Kids who are bused like that don't like it, and really don't think of the school as belonging to them, or their population group.

Just go sit in the cafeteria at the end of a school day while the children wait to board the buses, and then tell me they feel like they actually belong. Watch the interactions on the playground.

Better yet, ask those bused students where they want to attend school.

These students' needs would be much better met using all of that money spent on buses, and maintenance, and drivers, and gasoline, on programs to bring those students' schools, if they are deemed 'lacking,' up to par with real programs -- not babysitting to accommodate parents who generally work at little-better-than minimum wage jobs.

Prepare those children to compete, and give them what they need to do it, instead of traveling from Point A to Point B on a bus. All that is accomplished with that, is literally getting them there. Imagine how that traveling time could be better spent.

Instead of beating that dead horse, shoot it, and put it out of its misery.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Hmm. . . I don't think fighting something you are against, or is educationally NOT sound, is ever "beating a dead horse." Au contraire, not getting involved, ignoring the situation, or letting others take up the rallying cry, is like letting that old nag limp along.

Cary does seem to be affected, in some areas. The children where I am walk to their elementary school.

Cary parents have been so disgusted by the constant reassignments (largely due to growth) until they threatened, just recently, to pull away from WCPSS. Some reassignments cannot be helped, but it shouldn't involve busing children for 20-30 minutes across town to just achieve 'diversity.' Kids who are bused like that don't like it, and really don't think of the school as belonging to them, or their population group.

Just go sit in the cafeteria at the end of a school day while the children wait to board the buses, and then tell me they feel like they actually belong. Watch the interactions on the playground.

These students' needs would be much better met using all of that money spent on buses, and maintenance, and drivers, and gasoline, on programs to bring those students' schools, if they are deemed 'lacking,' up to par with real programs -- not babysitting to accommodate parents who generally work at little-better-than minimum wage jobs.

Prepare those children to compete, and give them what they need to do it, instead of traveling from Point A to Point B on a bus. All that is accomplished with that, is literally getting them there. Imagine how that traveling time could be better spent.

Please don't mistake my "Beating a dead Horse" comment. I meant it because I was creating a new post on a subject that seems to always be discussed. I did not mean it in anyway refer to being lacksidaisical about the issue itself.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
The title has been changed.

The OP really did not mean it in any other way except as they stated above.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
I have heard good things about Jones Dairy. The only thing negative I've heard recently is that they lost their science teacher and Spanish. When Sanford Creek opened it took a lot of students from Jones Dairy & their enrollment went down which reduced their 'months of employment' allotment from the Curriculum & Instruction dept. Hence the loss of the science teacher and Spanish teacher.

This is what I heard from somebody whose kids go there, but I would confirm that info before going with it. I have no reason to not believe the person I heard it from, but I always like to confirm info for myself before believing it. :-)

Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post

Cary parents threatening to pull away from WCPSS? Gimmee a break !!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I have heard good things about Jones Dairy. The only thing negative I've heard recently is that they lost their science teacher and Spanish. When Sanford Creek opened it took a lot of students from Jones Dairy & their enrollment went down which reduced their 'months of employment' allotment from the Curriculum & Instruction dept. Hence the loss of the science teacher and Spanish teacher.

This is what I heard from somebody whose kids go there, but I would confirm that info before going with it. I have no reason to not believe the person I heard it from, but I always like to confirm info for myself before believing it. :-)
Can somebody confirm if their principal just got fed up with things and quit???? That's what I heard..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary