Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM

25 posts, read 71,335 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving into a newly constructed apartment community, The Villages at Ellis Crossing, near the Hwy 147 exit on Ellis Rd. I called the Durham Police Department to inquire about the area crime and was directed to their crime stats tool. Not being familiar with the area, I really didn't find this tool all that helpful. If anyone has any information they can share that would give me some peace of mind about the area, I would be very grateful. I work from home; but, I want to feel comfortable leaving to travel, too. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM

98 posts, read 107,381 times
I have no statistics or anything, but I've always been creeped out by that road when using it to get to 147. I know that's not really helpful and hopefully you can get better answers.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Thank you Bryan. May I ask what made you feel "creeped out" by that area?

Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
I drive that road often to get to 147 and I dont find it creepy at all.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Thank you Quietstormnc! I'm hoping to find out from local residents if the area would be considered safe? If you have any additional information, I would be grateful.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Where are you traveling to each day? Ishtar help us to make some suggestions.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 PM

20 posts, read 33,212 times
I drive right by those apartments every day to get to work. I don't feel unsafe in the area at all but Ellis Rd is a boring 2 lane road. Google Maps satellite view is a good idea if you haven't already looked at it, it will show you the location of the apartments and all the other things on Ellis.

I think typical crimes around there would be the kind of things that happen over at Brier Creek and maybe the neighborhoods close to Mineral Springs Rd---cars vandalized, property damage, some drug arrests. There is a townhouse community near the Miami Blvd end that seems perfectly nice, I see a few people walking their dogs along the sidewalk there.

Every grocery store, coffee shop and restaurant will require a drive, and the time spent on the road will depend on traffic and where you are going. The traffic on Ellis backs up horribly in the evenings at the Miami Blvd intersection, and I imagine it also backs up during school drop off and pick up times since there is a school on Ellis Rd (plus a church school at the east end and a daycare at the west end). If you are going to be jumping onto 147 to go into Durham then Ellis Rd traffic won't be an issue, but 147 gets congested during peak hours too.

There is also a train track fairly close to the apartments, not sure the train schedule but if you are sensitive to noise you might want to investigate that a bit.

Most of the restaurants at Alexander and Miami are weekday lunch only places. There are a few fast food places at Miami and 70 but you would have to go a little further east to Brier Creek or west to 55 or north on 147 into Durham proper for any kind of a social outing.

Honestly, if I was looking for an apartment I would probably look within Brier Creek instead of Ellis Rd so that I could walk to restaurants and shops, but that might not be important to you. The Ellis Rd apartments would probably be quiet unless the train is a problem.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDoppleganger View Post
I drive right by those apartments every day to get to work. I don't feel unsafe in the area at all but Ellis Rd is a boring 2 lane road. Google Maps satellite view is a good idea if you haven't already looked at it, it will show you the location of the apartments and all the other things on Ellis.

I think typical crimes around there would be the kind of things that happen over at Brier Creek and maybe the neighborhoods close to Mineral Springs Rd---cars vandalized, property damage, some drug arrests. There is a townhouse community near the Miami Blvd end that seems perfectly nice, I see a few people walking their dogs along the sidewalk there.

Every grocery store, coffee shop and restaurant will require a drive, and the time spent on the road will depend on traffic and where you are going. The traffic on Ellis backs up horribly in the evenings at the Miami Blvd intersection, and I imagine it also backs up during school drop off and pick up times since there is a school on Ellis Rd (plus a church school at the east end and a daycare at the west end). If you are going to be jumping onto 147 to go into Durham then Ellis Rd traffic won't be an issue, but 147 gets congested during peak hours too.

There is also a train track fairly close to the apartments, not sure the train schedule but if you are sensitive to noise you might want to investigate that a bit.

Most of the restaurants at Alexander and Miami are weekday lunch only places. There are a few fast food places at Miami and 70 but you would have to go a little further east to Brier Creek or west to 55 or north on 147 into Durham proper for any kind of a social outing.

Honestly, if I was looking for an apartment I would probably look within Brier Creek instead of Ellis Rd so that I could walk to restaurants and shops, but that might not be important to you. The Ellis Rd apartments would probably be quiet unless the train is a problem.
I work near there so am on that road almost everyday. I wouldn't call it creepy, it's just not built up like some of the other exits. As previously mentioned, there is little commercial within a few miles, so it's in the car to go anywhere. Not sure about your budget, but I would choose something in the Woodcroft area (or Brier Creek area) over that apartment complex.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Thanks for your response, ljd10101 I work from home so I won't have a commute; but, I am concerned about having a quiet environment and safety. Most of my travel will likely be on the weekend to the eastern part of NC to see family.

Thanks, too, Mydoppleganger, for your helpful info! I do like the Brier Creek area also...definitely another option; but, I like these apartment interiors...I'm just not sure about the area yet. I am aware of the train tracks located behind one of the buildings; but, I agree that the community overall seems quiet which is appealing to me since I will work from home. Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Its no less safe than any other generic apartment complex in Raleigh/Cary/Apex. Decent area with quick access to interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary