Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 12,335 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

We are in the process of looking for an area in the Triangle that has some really good schools, good places to eat, are family friendly. And most of all, we're looking for places that are wheelchair accessible.

For the wheelchair accessibility I am looking for areas with good sidewalks and as well as really good bus routes. I also have two children who will be attending School starting an elementary and all the way through High School. I do not drive but I am in a wheelchair and use the bus to go most places. I can also go places in my wheelchair but only three or four miles if there's a sidewalk.

I'm primarily looking in the Chapel Hill or Durham areas but I'm not opposed to anywhere in the Triangle that is safe, can provide a nice single story home to either build up or build from scratch.

I know there are some malls in the area and being close to those would be nice, even being close to shopping centers would be good.

For pricing I'm a little bit open but do not want to go above $450,000 to either buy the land and build or renovate something that exists. If you know of any good areas please let me know. If you are a realtor as well let me know as I do not currently have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM

80 posts, read 79,775 times
The Falls River area (near Durant Rd. and Falls of Neuse in north Raleigh) has sidewalks that connect to a few restaurants, a Food Lion and an Ace Hardware. It's close to Wake Med North Hospital, other medical offices and a shopping complex with a Kohl's and Harris Teeter. I imagine a bus route runs through there too. Plus you can connect with a nice paved walking trail near the Neuse River.

For other location ideas you might check with some local groups that help the disabled like veteran's organizations or those reaching out to families with disabled children. Crossroads Fellowship in Raleigh or Providence Baptist may be able to connect you as I know they have sponsored outreach to these communities at times.

Providence Baptist Church

Crossroads Fellowship Church

Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,335 times
Thank you very much. Are there many bus lines that run throughout the area?

Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Chapel Hill is the only location in the Triangle that you should consider. No other city has enough bus service to meet your needs.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times
You can look in Southern Village - particularly the older section of the village near the stores. The whole community has sidewalks on both sides of the street. The village has a grocery store (Weaver St. Market), a movie theatre, Als Burger Shack, a pizza place, dry cleaners, pediatrician, dentists, frozen yogurt shop, etc. Your kids can walk to school (both elementary and middle). For high school there is a bus. Adjacent to the village is a bus lot for the Chapel Hill bus system.

The only negative I would say is that the neighborhood is hilly, but you can find a home close to the village which is workable. Also, many houses have a lot of stairs to the front door, so that narrows your inventory.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Chapel Hill is the only location in the Triangle that you should consider. No other city has enough bus service to meet your needs.
Before the light rail opened in Charlotte, Chapel Hill had the largest transit ridership out of any city/town in NC. They have a nice system there (due to the university being there)

Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,170,969 times
I spent a lot of 2016 in a wheelchair, thanks to a motorcycle accident, and I can tell you that Cary & Raleigh are not particularly wheelchair friendly. Sidewalks that just stop in the middle of a street and go nowhere. Not enough curb breaks. Etc. Using mass transit here requires a LOT of pre-planning and patience. It can be done, but it's not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary