Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,845,242 times

Advertisements

Hello, need some advice to prepare for FE. So much material available online but not sure if its necessary. For engineers who have passed this exam, what materials did you study? Was the handbook enough for preparation? Or did you take any classes. Been a few years since I graduated out of engineering school so your advice will be helpful for me. I want to take PE exam too after FE.

Thanks.

Last edited by theluckygal; 02-15-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,610,396 times
Not sure why you posted this in the Raleigh forum but I took a FE review class when I took it 3 years ago. Lindeberg's review books are also the gold standard among engineers. Very helpful if you are good at self-studying.. Also get a copy of the formula book from NCEES and familiarize yourself with everything in there. Everything you need to pass the exam is in that book so it's really an exam where you have to know where to locate the correct formula to solve the problem (along with knowledge of some basic concepts).

Some helpful resources:
https://account.ncees.org/exam-prep/ - get a reference handbook and a sample exam
The FE Exam - Engineer Boards - forum with helpful tips about the exam
https://ppi2pass.com/shop/fe-eit-exa...eview-manuals/ - get the FE Review Manual and Electrical/Computer review manual (whichever ones you need) - might be cheaper on Amazon but I didn't check.

The key is really just to work as many problems as you can. The more practice you do, the better you'll feel.

Good luck! I'm studying for my PE right now so I'm with you.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Not sure why you posted this in the Raleigh forum
Because I wanted recommendations for any classes or material specific to NC state.

Thanks for your response.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Because I wanted recommendations for any classes or material specific to NC state.

Thanks for your response.
NC State has a FE review class but only for civil engineers as far as I know (run through ITRE)

Post something in that forum I linked above and you should get some more useful help there.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM

4,276 posts, read 4,733,651 times
I passed the EIT (forerunner of the FE) decades ago. Kudos to anyone who wants to become a PE. One comment: if you intend to work in the field of ECE, beware that not many ECE employers care about PE. Some do, most don't -- in which case it's a matter of personal accomplishment. Even solo, PE status is often not required to generate income in ECE... regardless of what the NCBEES says. But if you intend to work in civil, mechanical, chemical, etc, the probability that a PE will remove career barriers for you is considerably higher.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I passed the EIT (forerunner of the FE) decades ago. Kudos to anyone who wants to become a PE. One comment: if you intend to work in the field of ECE, beware that not many ECE employers care about PE. Some do, most don't -- in which case it's a matter of personal accomplishment. Even solo, PE status is often not required to generate income in ECE... regardless of what the NCBEES says. But if you intend to work in civil, mechanical, chemical, etc, the probability that a PE will remove career barriers for you is considerably higher.
I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering & been working for a few years now. I overheard some colleagues & contacts taking the exam & thought it would be a useful skillset. I have worked in other states too but FE/PE keeps coming up in discussions since I moved to NC, probably because of more number of engineers in this area. Hope the preparation & tests are not too tough. I will have to find extra time away from my job & family to prepare for it.

Thanks for valuable inputs.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 AM

Cool. Like the PhD in EE relative to the MS in EE (that's what I have, too), the PE will get you respect among your peers even if it doesn't necessarily enhance your career or your income... unless you work for a company like Duke Energy, an A/E firm, etc where a PE could be essential.

When I took the EIT, the only thing you could bring into the exam (all on paper) was a slide rule. No calculator. EEs always sweated the questions on thermodynamics, which we didn't get much of in undergrad school -- and in my case, I had taken the option of a Physics class for thermo instead of the ME class. I never saw a steam table but I got through the EIT anyway. Actually I found an error in one of the EIT questions in the EE section... made me so irritated that I worked my way up the chain to the Dean of the Engineering College and showed him why the question was broken. Took some complaining on my part but he finally wrote a letter asking that the question be changed.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,860,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
You didn't say anything about that in your post, so many of us had the same reaction.

Have you tried the most excellent libraries at NCSU?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
My friend is an electrical engineer and has/needs a PE for his job. Doesn't hurt to at least get your EIT by passing the FE and having that in case you do eventually need a PE. Or you can figure out what most people in your career path do - the PE exam probably gets harder and harder the farther removed you are from school.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Doesn't hurt to at least get your EIT by passing the FE and having that in case you do eventually need a PE.
Agree. And at the undergrad engineering school I attended, passing the EIT was required to receive a diploma regardless of what branch of engineering you had studied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary