Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anyone who has read education related news or knows ANYONE in the schools knows they did away with Master's pay. As I said, they prefer here for the teachers to be NBCT.
Hold on there, now. The cut to Master's pay happened a few years before we moved here. NC education news doesn't travel down to GA at all.

In the meantime, I'm 100% certain my wife gets Master's pay scale since (1) she got her degree 11 years ago and grandfathered in upon entering the system, and/or (2) she teaches math, which is a high-need area. I have the pay stubs to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,676 times
Yes, my wife still gets Masters pay and NBCT pay on top of that as well. They did not do away with it, they just did away with it for anyone thinking about getting their masters starting 2014 or so.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:54 AM

417 posts, read 433,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Direct link to the most current WCPSS salary scale, which most certainly lists master's pay scales as it always has

You'll see that the pay is higher here than it is in Charleston, by and large.
Doctorate nets an additional $253/mo ($2,530/year, 10-month schedule) in salary above the master's, which is a somewhat smaller increase per year than it would be in Charleston. That's up to you to determine if it's worth it to you or not. (It's most certainly not worth it to me, but that's me. )
I don't think there are any salary provisions for Bachelor's + X licenses. At least it's not made obvious.

Twingles is right in that you have to apply for a NC teacher's license instead of bringing in your SC license. They give you a year, during which you're compensated as a beginning, bachelor's-level teacher. Pro tip: START THE PROCESS EARLY. It can take months for them to move it along.
Once they do, though, your certified experience will carry over.

Overall here in Wake County, I would say that the schools are very good, but the compensation has lagged the increase in COL despite WCPSS paying the 2nd or 3rd highest teacher salaries in the state.

May I ask what would bring you and your family to the area?
Me and my family visit Cary/Raleigh area atleast a few times and year for the past few years for our vacation.
Cary/Raleigh area is our favorite spot for vacation and we have been there so many times an enjoyed it most of the time that we really love this place and want to live there. I like the parks, trails, diverse restuarants communities etc. The place also has a very nice feeling to it (or mabe so because we are usually on vacation whern we are there-so we feel good !!
Its a special place for us. The only concern we had was related to all the stuff we had been hearing about teacher pay and other things.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Yes, my wife still gets Masters pay and NBCT pay on top of that as well. They did not do away with it, they just did away with it for anyone thinking about getting their masters starting 2014 or so.
Cool. I did get my degree much before 2014. So I will look into thet. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I agree that you'll get better responses to your NC vs SC questions in the General NC board (higher traffic). None of the questions you're asking are unique to the Triangle area.

All anecdotal evidence I've heard says that things are getting worse for teachers in NC; a small raise in pay but decidedly worse working conditions (getting rid a large number of Teacher Assistants, for example), which almost certainly would increase the number of non-educational duties expected of a teacher. I was pretty sure the salary bump for Masters degrees was discontinued a few years ago, though it might have a grandfather clause for ones already attained or in progress at the time. I'm pretty sure that it does not make a distinction for subject-area Masters vs Masters in Education, though. And "18 hours of XXX" means nothing--just degrees and experience.

You might contact the NC Board of Education and find someone at the state level to ask these specifics to if they aren't answered directly on the website. If you're on Facebook, there might be a group for NC Teachers, too.

I will repost this in the General NC forum. I posted here because this is the actual area we want to move to. But I guess the NC education info question will be more appropriate in the general NC forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary