Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 04:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,756,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I'm not sure why you are harping on this. Last week I uploaded two 4k videos on different days. The videos were under 1:30 and it took about an hour to upload each one with TWC 200/15 plan over wifi (speedtest confirms my speeds I pay for) Have you recently done the same as me, or are you just speaking hypothetically?

I pay $65 a month for TWC internet and I own my own modem. ATT fiber is $80 a month plus some small fees. For $15-20 extra a month i'm increasing my download by 5x, and upload by 66x. With fiber I might look into cutting the cord so then I would actually spend less per month.

Here's a question for owners. My home is not hardwired for ethernet. Will ATT run a line for a desktop for me? I plan to put my modem/router in the center of my home where TWC currently is, and I have an iMac in another room that I would like to hardwire. I don't want them to drill in my floors though since I have wood. They can run wiring from my entertainment center to the crawl space, and would like the ethernet to be run in the wall in that room.
For real.

As for the q about the install, yes they would do that for you (perhaps charging). At least my guy said that, but I didn't end up having to, since, keep in mind, this is all new Fiber (unless someone in your house had it run already) coming into the house and you can choose where the unit is located. It doesn't have to be where a current coax line is. This was a game changer for me, allowed me to relocate my modem/router to a central place and improved range dramatically, and I didn't need the Ethernet line run anymore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM

57 posts, read 69,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
North Raleigh. My neighborhood was dug up in February 2016.
So it took about a year between digging and offering service?

Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm hardwired with CAT 6. ATT doesn't use coax, so he would have to run a cable to the desired point.
The tech used my cables, except for the second TV. He installed a wireless transmitter/receiver for it because there was no cable and he was running out of time. It is an upcharge for wireless, but he said he has the discretion to install one at no charge.
I have an unused cable that I will deploy there and go wired at some point.

I don't think he was eager to run a cable, though. I suspect that your tech will want to establish a convenient place for the wifi and make it work.
You may need to buy a wifi card for your desktop.
It's an imac so it has Wifi, but it's the computer I upload videos from and want the highest speed possible. If they wont run the line I can get in the crawl and do it.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:55 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
So it took about a year between digging and offering service?
No, it was a few months if I recall. I never signed up because of things I was unhappy about that they are no longer doing anymore.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 PM

261 posts, read 304,180 times
Switched to Uverse about 1 year ago from Time Warner, have been quite satisfied. Gone are the days of having to reboot the modem constantly, gone are the ups and downs in download speeds. AT&T internet, 45mbps, has been incredibly consistent and adequate for all our needs. I don't have TV through AT&T Uverse, I have Direct TV which they now own and am fine with that as well, for now anyway.

My year just ended, bill went up $50/month. Called as soon as I noticed and was able to rework promotions which actually led to an upgrade to the 300mbps internet service for a lifetime $50/month fee and a reduction of my landline phone service from $30/month to $9.99/month. I still have to get promos for DTV and my monthly bill is already lower by $10/month without the promotion on DTV which I expect to lower the bill at least another $15/month.

All in all I'm very pleased with AT&T, especially as compared to Time Warner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: