Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM

147 posts, read 162,821 times

Advertisements

"According to organizers and advocates in the area, driver’s license checkpoints were happening in Durham well before Trump took office. The problem, they told Rewire, is that Durham County Sheriff’s Office has historically been dishonest in its assertion that it does not engage in immigration enforcement and does not work with ICE.
There is evidence that Durham has long assisted ICE in immigration enforcement. According to TRAC Immigration, which tracks immigration detainer requests by state, Durham received 1,167 detainer requests from 2010 to 2016. In 484 of those instances, ICE assumed custody of an undocumented immigrant who was initially arrested by local law enforcement.

In a phone call with Rewire, Gibbs [sheriff’s office public information officer] said Durham is a “Secure Communities participant, but we are not into immigration enforcement.” These are two statements in diametric opposition to each other."

https://rewire.news/article/2017/02/...grants-durham/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 01:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
I was once stopped at a license checkpoint.

Since I'm a citizen and in good standing, I had no issue.

If you have no right to be here, who cares how you get discovered.

My late Mom worked for "La Migra" many years ago. If you had no right to be here, she made sure you instantly went home.

It's a crime to enter illegally, so who cares when you are removed. You are not "undocumented". You are a criminal. We have enough criminals, so why import more. No euphemisms need be created to cover the crime. Perhaps I may be an undocumented bank robber. If I am stopped for jaywalking, should I not be given to the FBI?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I suspect that the people who were arrested had engaged in public safety infractions like driving without a license, DUI, equipment faults, etc. They were not peaceful, safety conscious immigrants being stalked by law enforcement. Although you can sympathize with undocumented workers needing to drive and not being able to apply for a license without deportation risk, you must also accept that it is terribly unsafe for others if they do so.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I don't understand the problem here. I just handled a claim for an insured who was hit by an unlicensed (NEVER licensed), uninsured, non English speaking driver (in Durham coincidentally). Not only did the (Durham) police let this guy drive off from the scene, but he TRIED TO PUT IN A CLAIM AGAINST OUR INSURED. Apparently since he gets everything else for free, he thinks he gets his car fixed for free too. I would like to say this is an anomaly, but my kids just got their learner's permits and every day - every single day, M-F, I talk to people who supposedly passed the written test in NC and can't speak a lick of English. It's mind boggling to me.
It's nice you're sympathetic, but I don't see the problem here.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Not that it matters at all in this thread, but the little kid who was killed recently by the runaway dump truck (can't remember what town it was), the person in charge of that truck was illegal.

We have DUI checkpoints with questionable legality in order to catch our own legal citizens doing something wrong. If that's ok, then this is definitely ok.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Not that it matters at all in this thread, but the little kid who was killed recently by the runaway dump truck (can't remember what town it was), the person in charge of that truck was illegal.

And unlicensed.

And the developer over there is a very highly thought-of outfit.

Had another claim about a year ago where our insured (cement business) knowingly let an unlicensed driver take out one of their cement trucks and he tipped it over on an entrance ramp. Luckily no one else was involved or hurt. Again - no English, again, never licensed in any state.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 PM

555 posts, read 501,039 times
I doubt this happens in just Durham. I've been stopped for a drivers license check multiple times in Wake Forest. We have a lot of construction sites near us, in nearly all directions, so I have always assumed they were essentially checkpoints looking for construction workers getting off shift who might have open containers, DUI, etc... If they catch people drinking while driving who are also here illegally, then I don't see the problem with dealing with them to the full extent of the existing law.

Keep in mind I'm very pro-legal immigrant. I'm very pro-refugee. I'm very, very sympathetic to those brought here illegally as children who are now trying to make a decent life in this country. But if any individual is out there breaking the law, engaging in any criminal activity after entering the country illegally to begin with, I sincerely hope they are running scared and are fully refraining from such activity, including driving if they are not licensed or driving drunk under any circumstance. I have no interest in taking up the cause of active criminals.

The effort to lump all foreign-born individuals together as one giant mass of victims of law enforcement is just not going to gain traction with the adults in the room.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Chapel Hill, Carrboro police chiefs:

Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
In my personal experience, local law enforcement officials (and ICE for the most part) could care less about the legal status of anyone caught committing a crime. A few years back, my wife, daughter and grandchildren were severely injured in an auto accident perpetrated by drunk illegals on 401 near Louisburg. It was not their car, they had no insurance and they were well above the legal limit for alcohol consumption. It was the 3rd DUI for the driver, the last one being only 2 weeks prior. Bail was set at only $1000 (the magistrate thought that was adequate given that he almost killed 4 people). Of course he never showed up for court after his friends bailed him out.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:37 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
In my personal experience, local law enforcement officials (and ICE for the most part) could care less about the legal status of anyone caught committing a crime. A few years back, my wife, daughter and grandchildren were severely injured in an auto accident perpetrated by drunk illegals on 401 near Louisburg. It was not their car, they had no insurance and they were well above the legal limit for alcohol consumption. It was the 3rd DUI for the driver, the last one being only 2 weeks prior. Bail was set at only $1000 (the magistrate thought that was adequate given that he almost killed 4 people). Of course he never showed up for court after his friends bailed him out.
For years the US law enforcement has been told to stand down on immigration. On the other hand, I knew of an instance where the Mexican authorities refused to extradite a Mexican citizen to stand trial for the murder of his wife here in the US.

Many well meaning, middle class Americans are unaware of the tremendous cost of these trade and immigration arrangements our leaders have made without our consent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary