Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times

Advertisements

I have had Wilsonart Laminates (in a look-a-like granite) for 10 years. They are in fantastic shape and have held up very well. And they are used abused daily by teen-age boys fixing their own food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Are those Wilsonart laminates as heatproof as granite?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 AM

57 posts, read 145,136 times
If you are looking to add some value to your kitchen go granite. If your looking to save some cash go with the laminate.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Jinxor, I'd love to hear what you decide to do! My kitchen sounds similar to yours & I'm trying to decide what improvements we can afford.

The problem with granite is that it doesn't add value to all homes. If you live in a starter home in a neighborhood where laminate is the norm, it'll be very hard to get your money back on that investment. That's why this is such a hard decision for some of us.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Jinxor, I'd love to hear what you decide to do! My kitchen sounds similar to yours & I'm trying to decide what improvements we can afford.

The problem with granite is that it doesn't add value to all homes. If you live in a starter home in a neighborhood where laminate is the norm, it'll be very hard to get your money back on that investment. That's why this is such a hard decision for some of us.
exactly! If I was to add granite, I would have to redue all my cabinets as well (would look funny to have plastic white cabinets with granite). That would cost me a fortune, yet my house is only worth about $240-$250k which is considered more of a starter home in my area (Leesville). So I would think I would have a hard time getting even 50% back in a few years if I sell.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 AM

147 posts, read 689,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Or you can just tile over the current countertops for a few hundred bucks probably. You could even do a granite tile which wouldn't look as good as slab but would still look sharp. I've seen a couple kitchens with granite tiles. Best was polished black granite with microscopic grout lines. Looked pretty good to me.

I put regular ceramic over some nasty laminite in a bathroom at our last house. Scuffed the laminate well, bought super mofo adhesive, and I could walk on the tiles without them coming loose. Not that you'd normally walk on your counter tops. I'm just saying.
Our old house in Florida had tile countertops, which were great because they resisted heat and scratches, etc. But when we went to replace our dishwasher we had a heck of a time! The previous owners had tiled over the old countertop and it basically sealed in the dishwasher. So if you do tile over the countertop make sure you're taking into account the fact that the dishwasher may need to come out some day!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
Mrs. Steel--We replaced ours with laminate (a faux granite color). I can't fathom doing granite in a home in one of our neighborhoods--at least not the starters. I checked around with many, many local companies, and got quotes for laminate, solid surface, and granite, and laminate was BY FAR AND AWAY the cheapest option. Even then (because there is a LOT of counter space in my kitchen), laminate replacement wasn't cheap... but given the price range of my home, it made absolutely zero sense to install something 3x or more in cost. I don't think for a second that I'd get that money back. Besides, granite countertops would just give my vinyl floor an inferiority complex

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I don't think for a second that I'd get that money back. Besides, granite countertops would just give my vinyl floor an inferiority complex
LOL! Ain't that the truth! Nevertheless, I'm considering getting quartz countertops - mainly just because I really enjoy cooking & it'd be nice to have a solid surface (but nothing as fancy as granite!). We may or may not get all of our money back on it, but maybe it'll result in a faster sale. Ya never know! These old oak cabinets need a lot of work first, though. Sigh!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Whatever became wrong with laminate countertops, anyway? I always liked mine -- smooth surface to work on, come in a wide array of colors, easy to take care of (as easy as anything else I've had, and easier than what I hear from my neighbor about her granite). I really like color in a kitchen, and laminate sure gives you an endless choice. I also like that it can actually mimic so many other things.

I've only had laminate and tile, and of the two, I almost like laminate better -- no grout to seal, or worry with, and I had better luck getting stains out of the laminate than out of the grout.

I have had neighbors who have granite, and they are not as crazy about them as what they thought they would be, initially. One did have a 'fake' granite she liked quite a bit? If she scratched the surface or something, it could be sanded-out? Anyone know what that was?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Oh, I don't think laminate is always a bad thing! It just depends on the laminate. The stuff I have now is awful, so I'd love to see the new stuff that's out there. Personally, I would far rather have a laminate countertop than a tile one. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary