Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural-living View Post
We use to like to go once in a while. I thought they were over priced for what it was but went if we had a coupon and drank water. However, in recent months due to severe austerity measures we don't eat out at all any more.
I did not think it was overpriced for a quality, reasonably healthy meal with so much variety. They always had coupons for adults, reduced price for kids, and kids under 3 were free. You can usually tell restaurants that aren't going to make it based on bad food, no crowds, etc. For example, anytime a restaurant in Waverly Place closes, nobody is surprised. Oh well. Time to hit up Jason's deli more often, like the other poster said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The only time that I have eaten at Sweet Tomatoes was in Plano, TX and it really needed to be closed down. It was filthy. Never went back.
I think you might get your wish!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
Was it just the local ones that were shut down or were all corporate locations shut down? If some locations are still open, you can sell your gift cards online. There are several websites which specialize in such transactions. You'll definitely take a hit from face value, but it's better than nothing.
Sounds like the corporation is still operating nrn.com/mergers-acquisitions/cerberus-acquires-garden-fresh PASTE URL IN YOUR BROWSER

Contact them and ask for a refund since they no longer operate in your area. Chapter 11 may allow the debtor to redeem the gift cards.

Be sure to mail them back with delivery confirmation.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
Was it just the local ones that were shut down or were all corporate locations shut down? If some locations are still open, you can sell your gift cards online. There are several websites which specialize in such transactions. You'll definitely take a hit from face value, but it's better than nothing.
Sounds like the corporation is still operating: Paste the URL below in your browser.

nrn.com/mergers-acquisitions/cerberus-acquires-garden-fresh

Contact them and ask for a refund since they no longer operate in your area. Chapter 11 may allow the debtor to redeem the gift cards.

Be sure to mail them back with delivery confirmation.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Filed in October?

"California-based Garden Fresh Restaurant Corp. filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 3 and received a court approval to sell its remaining holdings in January. The company said it planned to close about 30 of more than 100 restaurants."

Read more here: Sweet Tomatoes restaurants in Raleigh, Cary close after parent company files for bankruptcy | News & Observer

Just like they had to get court approval to sell locations, they will need to get approval to disburse compensation for gift cards.
I expect that that will not happen since they have pulled out of NC.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 AM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Filed in October?
I was surprised to read this. I bought the gift cards in December. Though I could have done research before buying the gift cards to find out if the company was in bankruptcy, I had no reason to do so, and I find it unethical (borderline scam) that a company would sell gift cards while they are in active bankruptcy proceedings. Based on this deception, I decided to file a dispute with my credit card company. Clearly I did not receive what I paid for, so I'm hoping the credit card company will go to bat for me, just like they should for any other scam (or merchandise not delivered, etc).

Old 03-03-2017, 09:24 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I was surprised to read this. I bought the gift cards in December. Though I could have done research before buying the gift cards to find out if the company was in bankruptcy, I had no reason to do so, and I find it unethical (borderline scam) that a company would sell gift cards while they are in active bankruptcy proceedings. Based on this deception, I decided to file a dispute with my credit card company. Clearly I did not receive what I paid for, so I'm hoping the credit card company will go to bat for me, just like they should for any other scam (or merchandise not delivered, etc).
Good luck!

Yeah, it always bothers me when a business that is winding down continues to take orders that they know they cannot or will not fulfill.
Maybe they thought you would use them right away?
But, bankruptcy breeds desperation.

And, sometimes the local location is the last to know.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good luck!

Yeah, it always bothers me when a business that is winding down continues to take orders that they know they cannot or will not fulfill.
Maybe they thought you would use them right away?
But, bankruptcy breeds desperation.

And, sometimes the local location is the last to know.
They were. Employees were turned away when they reported.

The bankruptcy court controls options in Chapter 11. When GM filed and considered walking away from warrantees, the court let them honor prior commitments.

Since this company is not totally closing via Chapter 7, they should refund gift cards in areas where they no longer operate.

Many credit card issuers will extend chargebacks beyond legal limits. Normal period is 60 days from the date of the statement which first shows the purchase.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 PM

100 posts, read 110,720 times
I was surprised by this news, too. I used to go there 2-3 times a month. They were always busy, the store seemed to be reasonably clean, & their food was fresh. I will miss them.

I've never been to Jason's Deli. Is it worth my while?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturna5 View Post
I was surprised by this news, too. I used to go there 2-3 times a month. They were always busy, the store seemed to be reasonably clean, & their food was fresh. I will miss them.

I've never been to Jason's Deli. Is it worth my while?
It's OK but the buffet is boring.

Give them a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary