Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I solely use my phone for navigation too but I put it in my cupholder and it still works with the screen off. I don't like having lights on in the car when I'm driving at night.

What phone do you have that responds to voice commands like that? I don't text while I'm driving, or call people even, but I'm in the market for a new one soon and would like to be able to snooze my alarms by voice.
Iphones can do this. I use voice to text all the time with Siri and voice navigation as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Yep. iPhone. I can send a text without looking at or touching my phone.

"Hey Siri" (this command "wakes up" Siri to listen) "Send a text to [recipient]"
"Okay, what would you like to say to [recipient}?"

I state the message, she repeats it back, and asks if I'm ready to send.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 03-03-2017 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I solely use my phone for navigation too but I put it in my cupholder and it still works with the screen off. I don't like having lights on in the car when I'm driving at night.
I use my cupholders for cups and other things, so the phone holster is very handy for freeing up valuable real estate. And the light doesn't bother me any more than the entertainment system that's mounted on top of my dash.

And I like having the navigation visually available to me. Sometimes the directions can be a little confusing, and I like being able to glance over to see if I'm turning RIGHT NOW or further up.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Iphones can do this. I use voice to text all the time with Siri and voice navigation as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yep. iPhone. I can send a text without looking at or touching my phone.

"Hey Siri" (this command "wakes up" Siri to listen) "Send a text to [recipient]"
"Okay, what would you like to say to [recipient}?"

I state the message, she repeats it back, and asks if I'm ready to send.
Damn. I'm an android girl. My husband has an iPhone and any time we'd try to use Siri for something, it was a hot mess.

My Samsung S4 used to snooze my alarm by voice but I upgraded to the S6 and it doesn't do it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I use my cupholders for cups and other things, so the phone holster is very handy for freeing up valuable real estate. And the light doesn't bother me any more than the entertainment system that's mounted on top of my dash.

And I like having the navigation visually available to me. Sometimes the directions can be a little confusing, and I like being able to glance over to see if I'm turning RIGHT NOW or further up.
I hear ya. Much better than the days where we had to use paper maps. I bought a new car for the first time in 8 years and it has a nav system which I never had before. I only bring up the map on the dash and then use Google for the voice navigation because I find Google gives more precise directions and more notice on turns.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If you are first in line, you should be staring at the light without blinking, and press the gas within .0000001 of it turning green.

In all seriousness I honk at people that sit at green lights on a daily basis. I dont think Waze is to blame for it.
Not to appear too technical, but after the light turns green, even if you have been staring at it, you should still check whether it is safe to enter the intersection. You may be sharp, but the folks in cross traffic may have their heads in the clouds and run the light.

I increasingly run into the problem that the 2nd and 3rd etc cars in the line have drivers messing with their cell phones when the light changes. These are the cars that line up at least a full car length behind the car in front of them for some reason. They are very predictably multi-tasking drivers.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not to appear too technical, but after the light turns green, even if you have been staring at it, you should still check whether it is safe to enter the intersection. You may be sharp, but the folks in cross traffic may have their heads in the clouds and run the light.
When I'm first in line I'm always watching to see when the light turns green. When it does I do a quick glance in each direction before pulling off. The last thing I want is somebody honking at me. Occasionally a driver will honk anyway just as soon as the light changes

Old 03-03-2017, 07:19 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Haha I'm the exact opposite - I try and predict the phasing and timing at each traffic signal and start moving as soon as the light turns green (or right before)........

Pro tip: if you look at the pedestrian count-down signal, you can figure out when the light is going to turn yellow/red and speed up to beat the light. Also, if you're going straight and waiting for the left turn phase to clear or end, you can look at the right turn arrows on the side streets to figure out when that'll happen - add like 4-5 seconds after it goes away.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM

430 posts, read 626,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Haha I'm the exact opposite - I try and predict the phasing and timing at each traffic signal and start moving as soon as the light turns green (or right before)........
I used to do that until I got hit by an unlicensed driver running the red light and nearly lost my left leg. Please forgive me if I take an extra second to looks both ways after the light turns green. Even 30 years later I'm still a bit skittish about it.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
I make my kids look at the light while I check my messages.

And yeah, first one at the light, I am super cautious proceeding thru, I don't care if I get honked at. Red light runners will kill you. (I will take my foot off the break and start rolling so the driver behind knows I am getting ready to go).

Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Also if you do use voice to text make sure you read the text before sending if it's to someone important. It can result in some really embarrassing autocorrects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary