Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:27 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
I used to do that until I got hit by an unlicensed driver running the red light and nearly lost my left leg. Please forgive me if I take an extra second to looks both ways after the light turns green. Even 30 years later I'm still a bit skittish about it.
Oof, so very sorry that happened to you. I always look both ways too. Have seen a red light runner far too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 02:45 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
For Pete's sake. It can wait until you pull over and get off the road no matter what the circumstance. Give me break pal
You peole live in a a self centered fantasy land. Tell you what - you go ahead and wait for people to change their behavior the way you describe. The rest of us in reality will do what we can to actually improve the situation. "10 years ago things can wait" - other poster, you're right. 10 years ago we had slow internet. We had the original iPhone. We had blockbuster for renting disc movies. Damn innovation, we all know that "we've always done it that way so that's why we do it today" always works out great

Props to the ToC for this. About time. I'm critical of them often, but partnering w Waze was a good idea, good for them.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
I always pause when it turns green to allow the red light runners to clear the intersection.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:52 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Oof, so very sorry that happened to you. I always look both ways too. Have seen a red light runner far too often.
Yeah I completely understand people who do that - though you can usually tell who isn't doing that and just distracted.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If you are first in line, you should be staring at the light without blinking, and press the gas within .0000001 of it turning green.
That's a good way to get yourself killed. What, with all the people texting while DRIVING, I've noticed an uptick in running red lights. No joke, if I'm first in line, I still look to make sure nobody is coming after it turns green. (I can usually do this before it turns green. When I see their light turn yellow, I scan to see who is coming, and watch to see if they stop or not.)

OP: Yes, it's annoying. I wish it would stop, but I'd MUCH RATHER see people stop texting while actually driving. I wish both would stop, but texting while stopped is not even a blip on my radar until the drivers stop. Sorry, just how I feel.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
You peole live in a a self centered fantasy land. Tell you what - you go ahead and wait for people to change their behavior the way you describe. The rest of us in reality will do what we can to actually improve the situation. "10 years ago things can wait" - other poster, you're right. 10 years ago we had slow internet. We had the original iPhone. We had blockbuster for renting disc movies. Damn innovation, we all know that "we've always done it that way so that's why we do it today" always works out great

Props to the ToC for this. About time. I'm critical of them often, but partnering w Waze was a good idea, good for them.
This guy on 95 runs me over onto the rumble strip this morning because he was texting and drifts over into my lane. So what you're saying Rory is that I should be cool with that if his text was something important or an emergency?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Instead of cracking down, automakers now include phone hookups as standard equipment.

If the FCC cared, there would be an end to text services if distracted driving crashes do not drop within a stated test period.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That's a good way to get yourself killed. What, with all the people texting while DRIVING, I've noticed an uptick in running red lights. No joke, if I'm first in line, I still look to make sure nobody is coming after it turns green. (I can usually do this before it turns green. When I see their light turn yellow, I scan to see who is coming, and watch to see if they stop or not.)

OP: Yes, it's annoying. I wish it would stop, but I'd MUCH RATHER see people stop texting while actually driving. I wish both would stop, but texting while stopped is not even a blip on my radar until the drivers stop. Sorry, just how I feel.
I think you missed the point of me saying "in all seriousness" Is there a sarcastic font on this site I should be using? Lets me repost it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If you are first in line, you should be staring at the light without blinking, and press the gas within .0000001 of it turning green.

In all seriousness I honk at people that sit at green lights on a daily basis. I dont think Waze is to blame for it.
Either you didn't read or are easily offended. It was a joke, relax. I honk at people that sit at green lights because they don't pay attention. I've seen people sit at green lights for over 20 seconds.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not to appear too technical, but after the light turns green, even if you have been staring at it, you should still check whether it is safe to enter the intersection. You may be sharp, but the folks in cross traffic may have their heads in the clouds and run the light.

I increasingly run into the problem that the 2nd and 3rd etc cars in the line have drivers messing with their cell phones when the light changes. These are the cars that line up at least a full car length behind the car in front of them for some reason. They are very predictably multi-tasking drivers.
See post above, it was a joke.

What you responded with is common sense. I assume the average person reading would have that??? Do I honestly need to add stuff like that to a post? Is this really what we have become?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
These are the cars that line up at least a full car length behind the car in front of them for some reason. They are very predictably multi-tasking drivers.
I regularly do this and rarely if ever multi-task. Once my phone/navi is in its holder I leave it there and don't touch it until I have arrived.

Driving, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or at lights, I do this precisely because I am concerned about the driver behind me being distracted and that extra space might, just might, buy me enough headroom for when that person behind me messes up. As I posted earlier, I do a lot of my driving in my rearview to react to this.

+1 to all the comments about taking the time to be safe before entering an intersection after the light changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary