Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Do female teachers get paid less than their male counterparts? I thought the pay scale was based on years of service not gender. Wow if so I agree with them, they really SHOULD be protesting. That's total BS.
Not to my knowledge, but it doesn't mean they cannot choose to stand up for other women OR for the fact that teachers are grossly underpaid across the board.

Maybe they might get more pay for ALL teachers.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It is a boondoggle why many champion unity when they focus on specific groups (i.e. women, Americans of a national or continental descent, disability, sexual orientation, etc.) instead of everyone (including Caucasian males).
I think people want unity and equality for all, but white guys have been running the show in this country since it was founded, so I really don't think y'all need any extra help.

If you do, you should speak up!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Amazing how teachers, who only work part time, need a week day off to protest instead of doing it on a Saturday. This damages their cause.
Serious and professional full time workers would never protest during the week. Amazing.
Full-time people do protest. I expect a good many people to choose to take PTO for this, based on indications from friends of mine.

I work from home, so I don't plan to.

That said, teachers do not work "part-time."

The hours you see may only be for X days a year, but I assure you, when you put in 60 hour weeks most of the time during those months, you've worked your share for that year.

Besides, those weeks during the summer? A good many are teacher workdays and inservices that must be completed, so those days off aren't as many as you might think.

Teacher pay is so terrible that a good many take summer jobs waiting tables (I know I did when I taught).

Yeah. Teachers have cushy jobs.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:12 PM

555 posts, read 501,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Not to my knowledge, but it doesn't mean they cannot choose to stand up for other women OR for the fact that teachers are grossly underpaid across the board.

Maybe they might get more pay for ALL teachers.

You are *drastically* overstating any possible effect that could come from this so-called attempt at a strike.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Did you listen to Ashely Judd's speech at the DC Women's Day ??
Based on the crowds cheers, her vulgarity and hate speech
were very popular.
Even if I felt that women rights were under attack (which I don't)
I would not have anything to do with that type of a hate filled movement.
Disliking the current POTUS isn't a "hate-filled movement."

It's a "I have some sense in my head" movement.

So, some folks have more colorful language than others.

But, when you see millions of people AROUND THE WORLD marching because they think the President is unfit for office?

Might want to pay attention.

Those who marched here were from a variety of walks of life and a variety of ages. Some of them no doubt thought the swearing was unnecessary, but that doesn't mean the cause isn't just.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I remember. Fitting that the most intolerant area's school system is closing that day. Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
CH-C is "intolerant?"

Of what? Bigots and racists?

LOL.

That's really funny.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
I think people want unity and equality for all, but white guys have been running the show in this country since it was founded, so I really don't think y'all need any extra help.

If you do, you should speak up!
Yeah...as a white heterosexual male myself....I do get a good laugh at this whole "equality should apply to everyone not just women/minorities/LGBTQ" mantra you often hear from some folks. They don't quite get it. Same with the "All Lives Matter" crowd.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,429 times
Comments about the day off are hilarious!

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/838496676062994432

Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
I remember. Fitting that the most intolerant area's school system is closing that day. Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
Chapel Hill/Carrboro is the most tolerant place I have ever lived. Our family is made up of whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc and nobody looks at us twice. But you are right about something. Chapel Hill is pretty intolerant of ignorant imbeciles who are sexist or racist. And that is why many of us live here.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Women still don't have equal rights, you know?

really? I was not aware that there were RIGHTS that women were excluded from, in the USA.

Which rights have been reserved for "men" and to the exclusion of "women"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary