Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'd love some insight on the point you're trying to make.

In the meantime, I'll rest on the "other side" calling their opponents "ignorant imbeciles" and "Sexist or racist"....merely for failing to agree with their position.
Broad brush painting goes both ways......as evidenced here.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Is anyone else just impressed it's gone this long without a lock?

Same to the jihadist thread too, props to keeping it civil

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-05-2017 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Is anyone else just impressed it's gone this lone without a lock?
Shocked

Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
1. I care about what happens in this state.

2. It's a national demonstration and CH will be far from the only district affected.
Can you imagine running a school and a school district without teachers? Since most staffs are heavily female the impact will be considerable. Also the availability of substitutes will be seriously diminished. Also does a day without woman mean female students will not attend? Education is unique from many other professions in that when a teacher takes off their student load and management remains the same and needs to be performed.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Yes that is strangely not scheduled for a weekend. Let's see. 'Sorry but being a professional I can't attend because it is on a week day'. Or 'because I only work part time I feel a responsibility to be at work during the week'.
Amazing.
Hard to have a strike on a non work day don't your think? If non teachers are so professional are you assuring us that the only people taking off on Wednesday will be teachers? Isn't the goal of a strike to demonstrate the role and purpose of people in the operation of something? If they do it on a weekend they would be striking against their family and that is often done anyway just not collectively.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The Anti-Trump movements have been extremely "hate-filled"
Might want to pay attention.

Apparently enough think Trump is fit because he was elected , so the losers
need to respect that they can't win every election. Nominate a better candidate
next time.
I'll agree that they could have nominated a better candidate, but let's put to rest this notion that either side has some monopoly on doing the right thing here regarding respecting an elected president and somehow the other side is way worse. I keep hoping one day the true majority of people who try to thoughtfully choose candidates, some from one side and some from the other depending on the specific race will be able to wrest control of this country back from the "sides" and we can actually work together again.

Why all this even matters when a school system simply made a pragmatic decision to close for a day rather that make a token attempt at remaining open just to say they did when it might not even be legal in the first place. Maybe they will put a policy in place to restrict the number of people who can take days off at one time and avoid this in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Chapel Hill Carrboro Schools Closed For "A Day Without Women"-img_0009.jpg  

Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Amazing how teachers, who only work part time, need a week day off to protest instead of doing it on a Saturday. This damages their cause.
Serious and professional full time workers would never protest during the week. Amazing.
Teachers work more hours than many "full-time professionals", but only if you care about reality.

Why would someone stage a protest, specifically when it would not have impact? Whether you agree with their cause or not, the point of it is to show what society would be like for just one day "without women".

What you are suggesting is kinda like saying "the NFL, NBA or MLB should have had their strike in the off-season" (to lessen the impact on the very people they are trying to make an impression on).

Surely you understand this. Right?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'll agree that they could have nominated a better candidate, but let's put to rest this notion that either side has some monopoly on doing the right thing here regarding respecting an elected president and somehow the other side is way worse. I keep hoping one day the true majority of people who try to thoughtfully choose candidates, some from one side and some from the other depending on the specific race will be able to wrest control of this country back from the "sides" and we can actually work together again.

Why all this even matters when a school system simply made a pragmatic decision to close for a day rather that make a token attempt at remaining open just to say they did when it might not even be legal in the first place. Maybe they will put a policy in place to restrict the number of people who can take days off at one time and avoid this in the future.
This is why I cannot and have never belonged to one party or the other. I vote for whichever candidate I think is the best (or most tolerable, like I did this year).

I am not fond of joiner-ism.

Also, I never have seen a party whose entire platform I agreed with in the first place.

I hope we have much better choices at the mid-terms and in 2020.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The Anti-Trump movements have been extremely "hate-filled"
Might want to pay attention.

Apparently enough think Trump is fit because he was elected , so the losers
need to respect that they can't win every election. Nominate a better candidate
next time.
SOME of the protests seem to have been.

Bottom line is that the Tea Party wasn't exactly all warm and cuddly, but refer to that attached poster full of hateful images upthread if you need to be reminded.

I do not think people are protesting a lost election. Every election, SOMEBODY loses.

They are protesting the dunce who got elected. Period. They aren't even protesting the people who elected him because not all of them really support him so much as they didn't like the alternative.

Eh. That's not got a lot to do with this situation around A Day Without Women, except that the bristling over the school board allowing these women to participate in the movement has brought up the notion of women resisting and the biggest resistance recently was the women's march worldwide the day after Trump was inaugurated.

I think people figured he'd get elected and nobody would complain, rally, organize, or what have you.

Just that they'd hop aboard the Trump Train.

I guess that didn't turn out like expected.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:35 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

But we both agree that they had no other option but to close the schools. This doesn't mean they agree with what they were forced to do though.

Isn't it amazing that the ENTIRE rest of the country has handled this situation without closing schools,
but Chapel Hill - Carrboro says they have no other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary