Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times

Advertisements

Things are seriously getting out of hand. I can't even explain how much I disagree with this.

Classes canceled at Chapel Hill-Carrboro to coincide with 'women's strike' :: WRAL.com

Old 03-02-2017, 08:23 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Things are seriously getting out of hand. I can't even explain how much I disagree with this.

Classes canceled at Chapel Hill-Carrboro to coincide with 'women's strike' :: WRAL.com
Do you have children in the school district?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Do you have children in the school district?
No why?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
No why?
If you don't have children in the district (or teach there), why do you care what they do?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
If you don't have children in the district (or teach there), why do you care what they do?
1. I care about what happens in this state.

2. It's a national demonstration and CH will be far from the only district affected.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
1. I care about what happens in this state.

2. It's a national demonstration and CH will be far from the only district affected.
Well, it's only one day, and Chapel Hill doesn't have to make up the school day since they added extra minutes to the school day this year, so it's like having another snow day as far as affecting students' learning, if that is what you are concerned about. I'm betting lots of the older students in Chapel Hill will be attending some of the demonstrations, so they might actually get more of a civics education than if they just read about it in a text book in school.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Well, it's only one day, and Chapel Hill doesn't have to make up the school day since they added extra minutes to the school day this year, so it's like having another snow day as far as affecting students' learning, if that is what you are concerned about. I'm betting lots of the older students in Chapel Hill will be attending some of the demonstrations, so they might actually get more of a civics education than if they just read about it in a text book in school.
I think a better lesson would be taught by showing up to work and doing their job like they're supposed to.

Just my opinion - you're entitled to yours.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Last time I checked, Chapel Hill-Carrboro has one of the best school districts in the state so they get some leeway I guess. Now if this was another school district that wasn't doing well, I might be more concerned with missing a day of school for a protest.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I think a better lesson would be taught by showing up to work and doing their job like they're supposed to.

Just my opinion - you're entitled to yours.
Perhaps, but they do that on the other 179 days of the school year. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about people who want to take the day off to demonstrate. But I see nothing wrong with the school canceling because they won't have enough staff.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
For clarification; the school district isn't exactly "closing for women's strike"....that's just a bold attention-gettiing title for WRAL to use..... they are closing in anticipation of not having staff to properly run the school day. Their faculty and staff all have sick and vacation days that they can use. If a majority or sizable amount say they are going to use one of their sick/vacation days on the same day ( their is nothing that says they cannot) what is the district supposed to do? Their hands are sort of tied.

You can't just say "fire them all"...for several reasons.

1. Whether one agrees with the reasons behind their taking off or not; teachers and staff at a school are employees with sick time and vacation time just like most full-time employees of most employers...private or public. They are within their rights and employment parameters to take them when they want

2. There's a pretty significant shortage of teachers in the area and replacing them all at once would pretty much be impossible. Much more detrimental to the students in the district than having a day off of school (FWIW...CHCCS has a 184 day school year, 4 days above the 180 minimum set by the state of NC that most districts stick to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary