Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 AM

51 posts, read 75,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
As a victim (twice) whose job was outsourced to India or to H1B visa holders from India I have no grief against people from India. Instead my anger is directed towards greedy American CEOs and corrupted lobbyists/politicians in DC who created the current system where domestic labor is replaced with the cheaper one from overseas. India had its stars aligned and as a country used this American invented scam to their advantage. Can't really blame India for it as it could have been China, New Zealand, or any other country in the world.
This.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
They are not working at a 1992 salary and to assume this is quite funny. We are in a new development in Apex and I would say approximately half of our neighborhood is Indians. Many of the wives do not work. The houses are not cheap so unless they are putting down 50% or more percent, they wouldn't be able to afford them on a 1992 salary.
You misunderstood. I wasn't saying all H1B workers work for a 1992 salary. The minimum wage requirement for H1B has been stuck at $60k for a very long time, I chose 1992 because this would be a proper wage for the education level and skill requirements in that year (estimated and depending on location of course) of some of the jobs that are in the range of the new proposed target minimum of $130k.

The new minimum would set the bar such that companies would still hire foreign labor if they really NEED to (i.e. cannot fill the position locally), but would make sure they aren't stealing food out of American mouths to do it out of greed. In other words it would keep them honest, which is a new concept for most US based companies.

If you don't think employers still fill positions by putting whatever warm bodies they can find willing to accept that sort of wage (which 9 times out of 10 is foreign labor), then you are tragically out of touch with what goes on in the hr departments of this industry.

Does it mean they currently only hire workers willing to work for $60k? No of course not. But they get as close to it as they can, and they use it as justification for not hiring US citizens at an appropriately competitive wage, and some of them set up entire teams that focus on nothing but trying to fill positions with the cheapest H1-B labor possible, at the expense of American jobs.

Even in the company I'm in now, I see engineers being hired at the $70-80k range all the time with skill sets that you could not possibly fill with high quality American labor for under $110-120k. Most of the time those engineers do not even possess the same level of experience or communication skills as their more expensive counterparts, but they are hired anyway because they are cheaper.

This is not even remotely trying to say that all Indians in the US make less than Americans. Many Indian immigrants work in fields like health care which have not suffered the same level of H-1B abuse as the tech industry has.

Last edited by jglalki; 03-08-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 AM

299 posts, read 249,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
So eleven pages later, someone else stumbles upon the same observation I made

Honestly it wasn't even an observation I could lay claim to, the Indian community made it. Yet a bunch of folks in this thread decided to run around in circles with one foot nailed to the floor, proclaiming their disagreement with me, without ever paying attention to the news evidence that there is a connection between recent H1B news and recent changes in attitude toward foreign workers.
Yes. As the number of visas declines the domestic training will increase. This could have been done years ago but was not.

Interesting fact. Tata, an Indian employment agency, is one of the first to propose training US residents as the visa's issued is sure to decline. Proactive thinking on their part.
As we have over 90 million Americans not in the work force I'm sure Tata will be able to find a few thousand to train easily.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
... we have over 90 million Americans not in the work force ...
This number is both true and misleading.

Copied from: The real deal behind the 94 million Americans Trump says are out of work - Feb. 28, 2017

Quote:
Here's the real deal on that stat: Some 95.1 million people are not in the labor force, but the vast majority of them don't want a job, according to the most recent quarterly data from the Atlanta Federal Reserve. Some 44.1 million are retired, 15.4 million are disabled, 12.9 million are taking care of a family member and another 15.5 million are in college or job training. They are listed as not wanting a job.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 AM

299 posts, read 249,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post

CNN? Not a credible source. They don't even attempt to hide their agenda.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Which is what, exactly?

I don't care how many times the Idiot in Chief tweets it, CNN isn't #fakenews

That's always pretty rich coming from a guy who makes accusations over Twitter based on Breitbart and Fox.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:43 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which is what, exactly?

That's always pretty rich coming from a guy who makes accusations over Twitter based on Breitbart and Fox.

I agree... Trump talks, news outlets report what he says. He sees his words in print and realizes how stupid they sound and then he blames them for reporting his words! Mentally unstable...

Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
Quote:
CNN reported it but the data came from the Atlanta Federal Reserve. Will you label that as "not a credible source?"

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
So eleven pages later, someone else stumbles upon the same observation I made
Funny how that happened, and how the thread has progressed.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which is what, exactly?

CNN is heavily biased toward the left agenda just as Fox, DrudgeReport, etc. are biased toward the right. Therefore citing those kind of news sources in a discussion involving politics is indeed pointless. The term "fake news" is a bit strong for any of them, because it's not like they are completely fabricated articles, but because of their bias none of them are suitable submissions for political discussions.

I wish however, this discussion wouldn't become political. In fact it shouldn't. The H1-B thing is happening under the Trump administration, but Hillary Clinton was promising to make changes to it as well. Beyond that, the pro-H1B stance and the related loss of American jobs, historically has been the handiwork of the political right, so Trump is actually supporting an incredibly liberal position on the matter. He's weird like that -- not really a conservative and not really a liberal, more of a "common sense" guy (his only problem is that while his solutions are based in common sense, his presentation of those solutions is not).

All things said and done it's really not a right vs left issue, nor is it really a Trump issue. It just happens that it's happening under his administration, because he is apparently the type that likes to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later, while other politicians wait years to begin acting on their promises. In that sense, Trump does have some redeeming qualities that other politicians do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary