Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:19 PM

51 posts, read 75,709 times

Advertisements

Just to get things back on track, the OP posed a question -- why the recent up-tick in anti-Indian attitudes?

Does anyone else have their own possible explanations for why this could be? I offered one possibility, maybe it's not the reason or maybe it's only one out of many factors.

If you think I'm wrong, then what do you think is the cause?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
They are just racists - plain and simple. And in today's cultural and political climate, they felt safe and validated enough to speak their racist thoughts aloud.
hmm... how about this one

Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Yep nail meet hammer

I give him until the summer before he's led out in handcuffs. Hopefully sooner.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
What is it, specifically, about "today's political climate" that created the up-tick that was observed by some posters in the last few months?

So far you're only agreeing with me here -- except I cited a specific reason (media focus on H1-B changes).

What else could it be? Trump's haircut?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I'm not Indian, but have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who are, as well as other family members, so I'm just hearing things second-hand.

-It can be an effect of "too many" Indians that have moved to the Triangle and now the racist crowd has to voice their opinion. They were fine and kept it to themselves before when it was a small community, but now they see Indians and other races everywhere. Of course, they forget the fact that they probably have fairly good jobs and don't really bother anyone, and are not "free-loaders."

-I'm not so sure of the Trump thing, but Aziz Ansari does have a point he made on SNL. Trump maybe made it more comfortable for these "lower-case kkk" types to voice their opinions.

-These are small incidents, so this can occur anywhere. It's too bad about that Brier Creek incident, what were you doing at that time that he/she made that comment?

-Now Costco on a Saturday or Sunday can get pretty aggravating -there are people everywhere with the huge Costco shopping carts, stopping in the middle of the traffic lane, stopping to talk, etc. There is no room to move anywhere. Every race is guilty of all that Costco traffic mess, but of course it's easier to just point out a particular group of people

Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
I give up.

Being from Indian origin I'm glad that OP posted. We definitely need a conversation. If there is awareness and appreciation on both sides such incidents can be greatly reduced. Hopefully 2030 facebook will be a country ��

Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
It can be an effect of "too many" Indians that have moved to the Triangle and now the racist crowd has to voice their opinion. They were fine and kept it to themselves before when it was a small community, but now they see Indians and other races everywhere.
I'm not sure that the influx of Indian residents has been so much greater in only the last few months that it would spark a sudden increase in anti-Indian behavior (especially since, as we've also seen in the news violent crimes occurring in places other than the Triangle, so it's not exclusively a local trend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Of course, they forget the fact that they probably have fairly good jobs and don't really bother anyone, and are not "free-loaders."
Some would say that this is part of the problem. H1-B has allowed them to take jobs from Americans because they have the advantage of being able to work for lower rates, which is a situation US companies are happy to exploit.

Personally I'd say just level the playing field and it will all work out. Remove incentive to hire cheaper foreign labor, and the jobs will over time become filled with the right person for the job, regardless of nationality.

If we are to allow foreign citizens to purchase real estate in our country, they need to reciprocate and allow us to do same in their country. Not an expert in foreign real estate law, but to the best of my knowledge in India and many other countries, a US citizen cannot just buy a home, retire and live happily ever after for peanuts. Yet they have that option after working here, buying property or businesses and potentially even drawing from our social security system while they retire in their home country. Sorry, but this is not a level playing field. Does that excuse racist behavior? Of course not, but its something to be addressed.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I've been in the Triangle almost 40 years and it's never been this bad. Honestly, this is the first time I've been made to feel like I didn't belong in the US...and I've been here my whole life. I had a very unnerving conversation with a middle-aged man at Waverly Place last month...it ruined my whole day.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

Kinda sounds like the sort of hate rude northern transplants dump on southerners and since this is cary/apex where no natives actuallly live...... really makes me think....
^^Presumption or prejudice....makes me think....

Old 03-06-2017, 04:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
What is it, specifically, about "today's political climate" that created the up-tick that was observed by some posters in the last few months?

So far you're only agreeing with me here -- except I cited a specific reason (media focus on H1-B changes).

What else could it be? Trump's haircut?
Yep you nailed it, this closet case KKK stuff is all because of the influx of labor from H1B's.

nice job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary