Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,025,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I know I said I would only go to Bombay Grille, but after I posted that I got cravings and as I've recently become vegetarian, I went to Udipi Cafe in Cary.

GREAT STUFF.

Udipi never fails me. I used to go to the Tampa one all the time before I went all-veg. It's south Indian so no naan, instead they have those crepes with the potatoes in them (forgot what they're called).
Dosas! Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,025,927 times
I think all of the ones mentioned here are very good. We've been to them all and have enjoyed them all for various reasons. The only one I would not recommend (and hasn't been mentioned here) is Bombay Kitchen in N. Raleigh. We went a few months ago and even my Indian husband agreed it was the worst Indian food we've ever had. Now, I will say, I think they are fairly new and maybe they will improve, but we were highly disappointed.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
There are two Indian Restaurants on Capital Blvd.

1. Royal India (capital and buffaloe road)
2. Taj Mahal
We don't eat Indian food often (child w/ food allergies) but I do love Indian food. I've been to Royal India on Capital with some girl friends. The food was good and the staff was WONDERFUL!!! The owner was so sweet... we were celebrating birthdays and they brought out an Indian speciality dessert on the house and sang to us. Very sweet staff!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 PM

15 posts, read 40,138 times
I am visiting Raleigh for the first time this weekend. Kandas seems like a real good one, usually we don't get all those South Indian Non Veg specialities here in North VA. Can't wait ...
(if you haven't already, you should try Chettinad Chicken Curry, awesome item.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
TY, went from the article to the Kandas website to the menu. Now I want Indian food!! It looks really good. We'll give it a try soon.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 PM

232 posts, read 1,028,173 times
We have been dining at Indian restaurants in the area for years. Below is our preference in descending order (best to worst) with comments.

[1] Royal India on Capital Blvd, Raleigh (Pricey but best Indian food in the Triangle, PERIOD)

[2] Tamarind on HW55 in Apex (Relatively new compared to other establishments in the triangle. Excellent food, try the Chicken Naan, Cheese Naan, yummy)

[3] Inchin Bamboo Garden on Davis Drive in Morrisville/Cary (Excellent Food. Perfect Indochinese cuisine, moderate prices, We love this place!)

[4] Bombay Grille, HW 55/HW54 in Durham (Good for lunch buffet in RTP area, standard menu, good tandoori chicken)

[5] Saffron on Davis Drive in Morrisville (Heavy during lunch buffet hours, good food, right blend of spices)

[6] Kandas on HW 54 in Morrisville (Excellent for Non vegetarians, awesome chicken tikka masala)
[7] Azitra in Brier Creek in Raleigh (Catered toward people who cannot handle spices, food is OK, just a little off on my spice radar)

[8] Udupi on Chatham Street in Cary (Haven for south Indian food lovers, good dosas, even worth trying their Chana Bhatura/Chole)

[9] Spice and curry, HW54/55 in Durham (Good food, relatively new)

[10] Taj Mahal on Capital Blvd, Raleigh (Too much variation in the food quality)

[11] Durbar 84 on HW 55 in Durham (New establishment, moderate prices, food was average)

[12] India Palace on Airport Blvd in Morrisville (Chef runs away every few weeks, too much variation in the food quality. Avoid if possible)

[13] Tandoor India Grille on HW 55 in Durham (Cheap. You get what you pay for!)

[14] Cool Breeze on Chatham Street in Cary (Relatively inexpensive, caters to so called indian fast food of bhel, sev puri, bombay sandwiches, etc)

[15] Sitar India on Fall of Neuse in Raleigh (Food is OK, Naan can be ehh sometimes)

[16] India Garden on Cary Town Center Mall (Excellent location, Crummy Food, AVOID)

[17] Tower in Morrisville (OK for south Indian food. I am not a fan of this restaurant)

[18] Suchi Hyderabadi cuisine (Takes forever to get service at this place! Took an hour plus to get our appetizers, come on! AVOID)

Last edited by crifever; 06-06-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,532,253 times
Oh this thread is making me hungry. I wish that my wife liked Indian food

Old 06-06-2008, 04:02 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,547,876 times
Wow thanks you have been very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by crifever View Post
We have been dining at Indian restaurants in the area for years. Below is our preference in descending order (best to worst) with comments.

[1] Royal India on Capital Blvd, Raleigh (Pricey but best Indian food in the Triangle, PERIOD)

[2] Tamarind on HW55 in Apex (Relatively new compared to other establishments in the triangle. Excellent food, try the Chicken Naan, Cheese Naan, yummy)

[3] Inchin Bamboo Garden on Davis Drive in Morrisville/Cary (Excellent Food. Perfect Indochinese cuisine, moderate prices, We love this place!)

[4] Bombay Grille, HW 55/HW54 in Durham (Good for lunch buffet in RTP area, standard menu, good tandoori chicken)

[5] Saffron on Davis Drive in Morrisville (Heavy during lunch buffet hours, good food, right blend of spices)

[6] Kandas on HW 54 in Morrisville (Excellent for Non vegetarians, awesome chicken tikka masala)
[7] Azitra in Brier Creek in Raleigh (Catered toward people who cannot handle spices, food is OK, just a little off on my spice radar)

[8] Udupi on Chatham Street in Cary (Haven for south Indian food lovers, good dosas, even worth trying their Chana Bhatura/Chole)

[9] Spice and curry, HW54/55 in Durham (Good food, relatively new)

[10] Taj Mahal on Capital Blvd, Raleigh (Too much variation in the food quality)

[11] Durbar 84 on HW 55 in Durham (New establishment, moderate prices, food was average)

[12] India Palace on Airport Blvd in Morrisville (Chef runs away every few weeks, too much variation in the food quality. Avoid if possible)

[13] Tandoor India Grille on HW 55 in Durham (Cheap. You get what you pay for!)

[14] Cool Breeze on Chatham Street in Cary (Relatively inexpensive, caters to so called indian fast food of bhel, sev puri, bombay sandwiches, etc)

[15] Sitar India on Fall of Neuse in Raleigh (Food is OK, Naan can be ehh sometimes)

[16] India Garden on Cary Town Center Mall (Excellent location, Crummy Food, AVOID)

[17] Tower in Morrisville (OK for south Indian food. I am not a fan of this restaurant)

[18] Suchi Hyderabadi cuisine (Takes forever to get service at this place! Took an hour plus to get our appetizers, come on! AVOID)

Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,282 times
Great POST!

You are dead on about India Palace 2. But man when the owner is in their food is soooo on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary