Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM

225 posts, read 217,202 times

Advertisements

I am stuck in an apartment complex. Tried to leave last year, but failed. Could not find someplace safe, affordable, and in time.
I have to give a bloody 60 day notice if I want to leave in Aug.
I can not find that place to move into, by the right amount of time.
Anyone know of good realtors I can speak too that will not cost me more than to move?
I need to find someplace SAFER than most. $800 or less. Near Northern Raleigh, Wake Forest, or close to those borders. Someplace not an apartment (preferably a home, else a townhouse, condo, etc) where I will get stuck again in another hard to leave contract.
Non-smoking family, non drinking, non partying. QUIET!
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,188,274 times
I've generally found most rental contracts for homes/private owners to be more stringent than apartment buildings. At least you will typically have the option to break your lease with a two month penalty. The last house I looked out had no clause to break the lease. You were on the hook for the remainder of the lease no matter what you did

Most realtors are not interested in showing rentals, because they make very little money. Have you looked on craigslist?

Last edited by farebluenc; 03-05-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM

I have looked on Craigs, but nothing looks safe and close, and still I can not leave until Aug. So hard to find a place by June, to leave for in August. If I am stuck in this place after the summer, I face eviction as I can not afford rent anymore, and I already pulls as much OT as I can from my job.
I go no place else to go. Not like I have someone we can stay with until we find a place. I moved here in summer 2014 for $700 a month, and the place is safe. Two years later, 790. The office says market value is 840. I had no choice but to leave the home I was renting before then due to limited cash flow from low paying jobs. My AS, BS degrees done me nothing since 2011.
Now, I need to find a way to move out because this is too expensive for a one bedroom, with two adults and three kids. No money being saved, and usually rent is late every month (an extra $45) to that.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,858,270 times
60 day notices are pretty much the norm across the country now. If you contact rentals they are aware of who is moving out in 60 days, although it is a tight deadline, in the meantime get on their waiting lists now. $90 rent increase in two years seems very reasonable to me, with your situation and a large family, I'd recommend trying to stay where you are, doubt you'll find anything cheaper. You might want to look into government subsidies for help.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:17 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
I have looked on Craigs, but nothing looks safe and close, and still I can not leave until Aug. So hard to find a place by June, to leave for in August. If I am stuck in this place after the summer, I face eviction as I can not afford rent anymore, and I already pulls as much OT as I can from my job.
I go no place else to go. Not like I have someone we can stay with until we find a place. I moved here in summer 2014 for $700 a month, and the place is safe. Two years later, 790. The office says market value is 840. I had no choice but to leave the home I was renting before then due to limited cash flow from low paying jobs. My AS, BS degrees done me nothing since 2011.
Now, I need to find a way to move out because this is too expensive for a one bedroom, with two adults and three kids. No money being saved, and usually rent is late every month (an extra $45) to that.
Are both adults working?

Are the kids old enough for part-time jobs, maybe?

Sounds like you might turn to some sort of social services organization if money is so tight that there are just no options but places you cannot afford.

Certainly, if you have any family to turn to, now might be the time until you get back on your feet.

I'm sorry you're having this much trouble. It must be a terrible load.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:26 PM

715 posts, read 890,105 times
One bedroom??

Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,474 times
You might think of leaving this area for better prices.

This is what the transplants are doing to us.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,034,507 times
Yeah your not realistically going to find anything decent under 1k that fits that size family. I'm guessing like myself you live somewhere close to downtown which has almost doubled in rent in the last decade due to gentrification. What was the hood is now the hip $$ location.

Relators don't do rentals here unless your a client waiting on purchasing a home etc.. more of an exception then the norm. Then you mention that your payments are late. Apartment complexes are very strict with credit standards so you have that working to your detriment. I'd suggest maybe looking at mobile homes for rent in more rural areas of the Triangle or Johnston county.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Red,

Are both adults working?
No, she is unable to.

Nope.

Sounds like you might turn to some sort of social services organization if money is so tight that there are just no options but places you cannot afford.
Nope. I "make too much money." After taxes, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... they take 1/4 of it weekly.

Certainly, if you have any family to turn to, now might be the time until you get back on your feet.
No one.

Thanks. Since 2011, you can say that.

cyn, in Northern Raleigh, before 540.

I got to stay in this area for personal reasons, that are not negotiable. :/

Yea, I am in a tough situation. Renting a home was so much easier, going month by month, but due to financial circumstances, I had to move. Got this place but who knew it got expensive each year rent went up, and more taxes taken away.

So you all saying realtors not going to help me much, eh? I kind of have gotten that feeling with talking to a few.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
Red,

Are both adults working?
No, she is unable to.

Nope.

Nope. I "make too much money." After taxes, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... they take 1/4 of it weekly.

No one.

Thanks. Since 2011, you can say that.

cyn, in Northern Raleigh, before 540.

I got to stay in this area for personal reasons, that are not negotiable. :/

Yea, I am in a tough situation. Renting a home was so much easier, going month by month, but due to financial circumstances, I had to move. Got this place but who knew it got expensive each year rent went up, and more taxes taken away.

So you all saying realtors not going to help me much, eh? I kind of have gotten that feeling with talking to a few.
Can you take on another job then? I mean, a 2nd or even 3rd job, if you have to?

I realize you will not have much family time, but if you have a spouse that cannot work (watching the kids or is this person disabled? If the latter, does this person qualify for disability?) and you must live in an area that you cannot afford, something has GOT to give.

I would say that if you have any sort of salary you might try looking for a very cheap condo or something because the payments would be lower than rent, but I don't know if your credit will allow a purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary