Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:59 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

We live in Savannah area. We have a covered patio which is not screened. To me, the roof is the thing. If we needed screens, it would have been done years ago. For some reason, as famous as Savannah is for gnats, we are never bothered by bugs.
The fact that we have a roof which protects the patio furniture from the elements, is the important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Have you left Dallas for NC?

I think it depends on the layout of your house. We gave up our deck for a screen porch, and we love the screen porch. But, we are ready to build a deck for grilling, etc, so we don't have to go up and down 6-8 steps for shrimp on the barbie.

But, if you can step to the patio with only a step or two down, I would go for it in a minute. If it is several steps to the patio, it would appeal a little less.

The fee seems a bit high, until I think of the fireplace. Yes, 20x12 built on a deck with a fireplace? Lennar is not losing money, but you are not getting robbed, either.
I built my porch on a 20 yo house. It is 1/2 screen porch and 1/2 deck. Screw the fire place, the wife has a 20# propane tank and a copper fire pit with lava rock. Red wine with and throw blankets round out girl's night in the screen porch.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
I would do the screened porch and make sure Lennar is using a company named Screen Builders out of Garner.

I have a Lennar home which is rental property in Bella Casa and really impressed with the porch. Stay on top of the construction manager during the build and take plenty of pictures.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM

147 posts, read 162,713 times
Yes. Add skylights, ceiling fans and 12' will end up being 11.5" or less. Go 16'.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
My favorite room in (or out of) the house.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
We are on our screened porch most of the time, both summer and winter!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 16,576 times
Yes, moved from dallas...thanks for the advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Have you left Dallas for NC?

I think it depends on the layout of your house. We gave up our deck for a screen porch, and we love the screen porch. But, we are ready to build a deck for grilling, etc, so we don't have to go up and down 6-8 steps for shrimp on the barbie.

But, if you can step to the patio with only a step or two down, I would go for it in a minute. If it is several steps to the patio, it would appeal a little less.

The fee seems a bit high, until I think of the fireplace. Yes, 20x12 built on a deck with a fireplace? Lennar is not losing money, but you are not getting robbed, either.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately we have to stick with 12x20; there's no option to extend it. We will go with screen porch option with fan ( they don't do skylight ��). We will build an adjacent deck later.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Unfortunately it's either deck or screen porch. If we build screen porch in lieu of deck, we are planning to build with external contractor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Is it an either/or decision, or can you have both? I wouldn't want to be without my deck, but like my screened porch when it is raining outside. I love sitting out on the deck looking up at the trees and sky, so I use my deck more than my porch. But I have a lot of oak trees in my yard so I don't have to worry about the sun beating down on me. If I were in a neighborhood where all the trees were bulldozed then I'd probably use my porch more than I do.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Big screen porch fans here too. Shade, no bugs are big pluses. Only caveat, depending on floor plan, is that the added roof on the porch will limit natural light into the adjacent living space. Especially if no skylight options for the porch.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary