Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:57 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,806,388 times

Advertisements

I know some people don't like spiders, but this is a bit extreme.

Joking aside, at least nobody died or had any life-threatening injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM

7,821 posts, read 4,558,901 times
Interesting what you see as the light shifts. That's REBAR that's now exposed. Better put a new parking structure in the budget...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,239 times
*cough* *cough*

Mod note: Thread on building codes is located at the URL above.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-17-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 12:50 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,088 times
Well, when it's completed it will typically have some sort of fire-retardant insulation as well as drywall which is usually somewhat fire-retardant covering it. Also, no sprinkler systems or firewalls.

As was stated in the moved thread, this was a construction fire. Most apartment buildings actually fare relatively well during fires.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Interesting what you see as the light shifts. That's REBAR that's now exposed. Better put a new parking structure in the budget...

[IMG][/IMG]
Yeah, heat can mess up concrete quite well if its hot for long enough.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times
We went to Sullivan's for dinner, last night. Glenwood South was a busy place with all the St. Patrick's Day fun going on.

As we left to go home, we drove past the area hit by fire. Wow. You don't realize how BIG the area is. Police were stationed so you couldn't get very close.

I didn't realize how close to 42nd Street the fire was.

So glad no one was killed. Job well done to our first responders!

Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,934,691 times
My daughter was one of the many that were displaced by this massive fire. As I look at more and more of these pictures/videos I am so thankful that my daughter was out with friends that evening! Normally she would have been in bed by then. I'm also amazed that everyone came out of this unscathed (with the exception of the one firefighter).

All I can say is that the First Responders did an awesome job! I can't thank them enough for all that they did that evening and continued to do after the fire! In fact the outpouring of help and support from everyone (FD, Police, her apartment complex, local restaurants, Red Cross, hotels, insurance company, local neighbors etc) was unbelievable! We really do live in a great place!

At this point we are just waiting to hear when/if she she will be able to return. Luckily she was at least able to get her car yesterday and some clothes as literally she became homeless, carless with only the clothes on her back when this all happened :-(

Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,267 times
The fire crew did a great job, but the big question is the trash being built.

The tragedy is that this garbage construction is now legal for mid rises.

We hear that the completion of the tinderboxes will protect them, but that is a pile of bull.

When we lived in Northridge Crossings, a 2 floor tinderbox, a fire in one unit spread into the framing. Within minutes, the fire was blowing 20 feet through the roof. Only the great work of Raleigh firefighters saved the building without injuries.

This building was only 2 floors with two concrete and steel stairways to allow easy escape.

The recent fire here was a serious warning. There will be a firestorm in areas like Cameron Village where several new tinderboxes have just been built under the disastrously flawed building code.

Forewarned is forearmed. This sellout to developer greed needs to end now.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
Of course, you realize this is a national building code that allows this and not some specific decision by Raleigh to allow transplants like you to come down and ruin things, right?

Maybe the ICC or NFPA will consider a change (personally, I'm not sure why they don't just go with 16 gauge metal stud framing for these in place of wood as while it's more expensive it's not THAT much more), but the fact that it was under construction at a particularly vulnerable stage is a real actual fact that even the Raleigh Fire Chief agrees with and does not mean it's especially dangerous when complete. And saying that 2 story condos should be non combustible construction, that's just crazy.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 AM

4,260 posts, read 4,703,015 times
Construction fires happen and that's a fact of life, although one might ask whether construction sites in built-up areas need more oversight if for no other reason than to prevent damage to adjacent properties. I've got to wonder how many flammable materials besides wood were onsite.

But whether the code is too lenient for finished buildings... I suspect we haven't heard the last of that. Hard to say what the RFD chief really thinks about that question; wasn't the time or the place for him to get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary