Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

My roof came with the house back in 93' so it's getting about that time. Can some give any advise or reccomend some shop or another?

What's a good price?
What should i be looking for for impending failure/issues?
What should I be doing?

Any input welcome, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
prices vary widely depending on the structure of your roof, and can vary how high up they're going. If you live in a simple, single-gable 1 story, that will be the lowest price roof you can get. A large house with multiple gables and rooflines, and way up in the air? Could easily be double.

You should go up into your attic and check the vent boots and the flashing at the chimney, assuming you have one. Then check the roof decking from inside for signs of leakage

Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
If you don't need repairs then check to see if you can do a shingle over instead of tear off. Most local codes allow shingle over one layer.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
There was some pea sized hail last yesterday! Time to get your FREE roof subsidized by your neighbors!

(sorry)

Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
prices vary widely depending on the structure of your roof, and can vary how high up they're going. If you live in a simple, single-gable 1 story, that will be the lowest price roof you can get. A large house with multiple gables and rooflines, and way up in the air? Could easily be double.

You should go up into your attic and check the vent boots and the flashing at the chimney, assuming you have one. Then check the roof decking from inside for signs of leakage
^^This. It is hard to give a baseline because of all the variables.

What I did:
-Researched about 3-5 good companies
-Had them come out, give quotes, asked quesitons
-Decided based on many factors. (I ended up going with the most expensive, but all were in the ballpark)

I chose Baker Roofing, and I was mostly happy. Workmanship was good.

What I learned, was that as you talk to each person, you learn something new. It helped me get a feel for what questions to ask, and what to look for. (Guarantee backed by Mfr, Insured, reputation, and definitely making sure they don't cut corners.)

It kinda sucks for the first person to quote you, because you don't know what to ask them as much, but I could not find a better solution.

FWIW, each case may be different, but I felt like going for the best solution was the right choice. No shingle-overs, and top-quality, engineered shingles. As much as it all costs, I did not think there was much benefit in saving at few hundred bucks when the result was loss of warrantee, or reduced warranty. I'll likely be in senior living before I need another roof...

Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
There was some pea sized hail last yesterday! Time to get your FREE roof subsidized by your neighbors!

(sorry)

Sad, but true. Those insurance-chasing roofers come through my neighborhood frequently. I'm not sure which shingles on my neighbors roof I have sponsored, but I'm sure there are several.

I wish the insurance companies would crack down on this. I suppose they really don't care as long as they make their money, but it costs the rest of us a bundle.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 AM

73 posts, read 68,530 times
I personally would not have new shingle over old shingle. I would make them tear off that way you can see other problems with the wood beneath. We had several places that needed new wood. Not to mention, that is a lot of weight on your roof.

Our roofer hand nailed the shingles. We got to pick any color of the 3D shingle we wanted that had a 40 year warranty on the shingle. The roofer offered a five year warranty on labor in the case of leaks. He only worked with the same two guys that had been with him for over a decade. I thought we got a pretty good deal. His quote was 2K less than some of the others that came out. Don't be afraid of getting several quotes. Some of those that came out got pretty aggressive in their follow-up and some were upset that we weren't ready to start same day. I thought we were clear we just wanted an estimate.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 AM

I have a feeling hand nailing is just a sales gimmick. Hand nailing is tiring and likely inconsistent.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

(sorry)
They storm chasers are not worth the increase you will have in your insurance. They not are giving you a 30 year roof, more like a 10 and the workmanship is terrible. Good luck getting them to come back if you have issues. Chances are if they are like the ones who did mine, you will still be finding roofing nails around the house 3 years later.

You get what you pay for!

My next roof will be done by Allen and Deans. They have taken care of other items for me and I have full trust in them that my roof would we done well.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
They storm chasers are not worth the increase you will have in your insurance. They not are giving you a 30 year roof, more like a 10 and the workmanship is terrible. Good luck getting them to come back if you have issues. Chances are if they are like the ones who did mine, you will still be finding roofing nails around the house 3 years later.

You get what you pay for!

My next roof will be done by Allen and Deans. They have taken care of other items for me and I have full trust in them that my roof would we done well.
From what I hear, people aren't getting increases in their insurance. Not any more than their neighbors who aren't working the system at least....

And plenty of the "reputable" roofers around here want insurance work as well. We went through the quoting process and the first thing asked was always "are we looking for hail damage?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary