Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 4,575 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband has orders to NC and we will be moving to Broadmoor in Clayton this summer. He will be making a commute to Seymour Johnson and I am currently trying to figure out what direction is best for me to go towards, work-wise.

I have job opportunities at Ft Bragg, but is that commute too far? Would I be better off trying to find work in Raleigh or Cary?

We have two young children, so I will be looking to work a typical 9-5 and spending the least amount of time sitting in traffic, the better! Especially with us coming from Baltimore, MD area...I am TIRED OF TRAFFIC!

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Fayetteville is a legitimate hour's drive from Clayton, and that's with no traffic.

Raleigh and Cary are closer, but traffic during rush hours is a fact of life. Especially while they're rebuilding I-40 south of the city.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
What type of work do you do? There may be jobs for you in Clayton or Smithfield.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
My Brother in law worked in Fayetteville and lived in Clayton (Exit 312). It took him about an hour.

Sister worked in North Raleigh. With traffic, it took her about 45 minutes. Without traffic, about 30 minutes.

Depending on what you do, you may be able to find work in Clayton or Garner. Those would be your closest options. Fuquay Varina may be a possibility, as well.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrive_promoter View Post
Hello!

My husband has orders to NC and we will be moving to Broadmoor in Clayton this summer. He will be making a commute to Seymour Johnson and I am currently trying to figure out what direction is best for me to go towards, work-wise.

I have job opportunities at Ft Bragg, but is that commute too far? Would I be better off trying to find work in Raleigh or Cary?

We have two young children, so I will be looking to work a typical 9-5 and spending the least amount of time sitting in traffic, the better! Especially with us coming from Baltimore, MD area...I am TIRED OF TRAFFIC!

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!
Well, since you said that you specifically are tired of traffic, heading toward Raleigh will be more traffic than heading toward Fayetteville. Yes, the commute will be longer to Fayetteville but you won't be stuck in traffic. That said, just the distance to Fayetteville alone might become tiresome really quickly, not to mention the miles you'll rack up on your odometer.
Over time, the route from Clayton to Raleigh or any points west on I40 is only going to get worse while a commute to Fayetteville is likely to remain fairly consistent for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
I commute from Willow Spring (take exit 319) to the east side of Fayetteville 4x a week. It only takes 10 minutes from my house to the exit. If you are in Clayton, getting to 40 using 42 will take you a lot longer. The drive can be grueling and I have been doing it for 9 years. Satellite radio has been a must. My daughter is now 16 so she is less reliant on me and her father works from home. However, with two young children, you may want to rethink working an hour away from them. I still remember when my daughter fell off the monkey bars and broke her arm at school. Thankfully my work was only 5 minutes away at the time. Additionally, something to consider is that your children will likely have a lot of events that you will want to attend. You will need to factor in an additional hour of leave just to commute back home. Our situation has worked because my husband works from home and I have enough seniority to have a good amount of leave. I just wanted to share my 2 cents with you. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,575 times
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the input! It has been weighing heavily on me for months. I'm an analyst, but not the type that has job opportunities everywhere. I would have to work at Ft. Bragg to continue my career, but I'm not sure the commute is worth it.

Given the responses, I'm definitely going to try to pursue other analyst type career tracks in locations closer to Clayton than Ft. Bragg is. My husband will be commuting an hour and I certainly don't like knowing that we will both be an hour away from our children (with no family around) in case of an emergency!

Sounds like 40 traffic is worse than I hoped!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 AM

275 posts, read 330,412 times
I would had looked around Smithfield. 40, mins to Fayetteville via 95 and 30 mins to Goldsboro via 70

Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I live in the Cleveland area also and had a neighbor who commuted to Bragg who has since moved. He had a 45-60 minute drive and was no fan of it. He told me the routes he could and did take but I can't remember them.

Rt 40 traffic is like 695 traffic ten years ago if you are heading in the work directions and you will be. We are retired and going the wrong way during rush hour is a pain. There are ways to get around Clayton traffic if you go Jones Sausage but that has gotten just as bad. It all depends on accidents etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Why is moving to Clayton so important?

Although Fayetteville has a rough history, will you need to move again in a few years? If so, you might want to rent in Fayetteville
avoiding a nasty commute.

Do remember that fuel costs may just jump back to $4/gallon if something happens in the supply line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary