Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM

119 posts, read 260,762 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that if you get in to Magellan, then you will most likely be accepted to Raleigh Charter High School. I thought Raleigh Charter High is a lottery based Charter. How come they are likely to accept student from one specific school? Anyone has insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
RCHS is absolutely lottery based. They are very much above board and follow the letter of the law exactly. So does Magellan. They are probably two of the best and most efficiently and honestly run charters in the state of NC. The people you are hearing from are misinformed. There are plenty of laws getting broken at charters, and it is easy for them to get away with some pretty scary things. However, lottery trickery is very uncommon. I once saw a school get threatened with a lawsuit because a parent swore that they saw their kid's lottery number stuck inside the basket from where the numbers were being drawn. From 50 feet away. That was many years ago, and since that time, the process is better organized and is probably watched more closely than most charter operations. Frankly, charters that are looking to scam have much "better" and easier ways to do it.

Last edited by Eeyore1; 03-20-2017 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 31,012 times
Isn't Magellan opening a high school soon?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
It's possible that Raleigh Charter has a high percentage of current students who had previously been at Magellan because a high percentage of Magellan students entered the lottery compared to students from other schools. That doesn't mean it would be easier for an individual Magellan student to get into Raleigh Charter, but if, say, 50% of applicants in the Raleigh Charter lottery are Magellan students and the other 50% from the other gajillion schools in Wake Co and beyond then there would necessarily be more former Magellan students picked at random. It would make sense that students from Magellan would enter the Raleigh Charter lottery in a high percentage since they are familiar with charter schools and have already favored them over traditional public schools.

Charter school lotteries are random, except for siblings. Siblings are able to have priority. I'm not exactly sure how they do it, if it's a separate sibling lottery, or if they're guaranteed a space, but they are prioritized at every charter I've heard about.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM

91 posts, read 78,701 times
Raleigh Charter lottery just occurred last weekend and opened for public. If you did not present there to witness, it is easily to believe in gossip. Many kids disappointed for not getting in including my child but I will not allow myself in rumor. maybe you need to attend the lottery section next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary