Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times

Advertisements

Have you considered the Greensboro area? I haven't seen as many houses in your price range in Raleigh, but I'm sure it's possible if you venture further away from Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
i agree. $90K with two kids and $200K housing is not crazy. They're probably millionaires in the making LOL.

I think you can find what you seek but you're not going to get new construction....maybe if you go way the heck out to Fuquay Varina, but I'm not sure even there you'll get it. No need to worry about any of the stuff you want.
My wife and I moved here <9 years ago at the age of 26 with almost nothing to our name and purchased a very inexpensive house by CD standards and are millionaires today. The ONLY reason is we have kept expenses low and not moved on to bigger and better as incomes have grown.

It doesn't take long to become financially independent if you have some self control.

I applaud the OP for 'only' looking at $200k and below homes on their salary. I wish more of America did it. We'd be better off.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Just for fun I searched <200k homes in Apex:

Apex, NC Single Family Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Seems like there's options.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I applaud the OP for 'only' looking at $200k and below homes on their salary. I wish more of America did it. We'd be better off.
It all comes down to people having a desire to keep up with appearances no matter the cost - few Americans have long range vision when it comes to finances.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 PM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd recommend the Greensboro and Winston-Salem area.
I second this. Greensboro and Winston-Salem are more affordable than the Raleigh area. They're a little further from the beach but a little closer to the mountains.

If I could telecommute for work, we'd probably still be living in Winston-Salem right now.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My wife and I moved here <9 years ago at the age of 26 with almost nothing to our name and purchased a very inexpensive house by CD standards and are millionaires today. The ONLY reason is we have kept expenses low and not moved on to bigger and better as incomes have grown.

It doesn't take long to become financially independent if you have some self control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It all comes down to people having a desire to keep up with appearances no matter the cost - few Americans have long range vision when it comes to finances.
+1. Way too many people buy as much as house as a lender will let them, big mistake. And then wonder why they're constantly having trouble making ends meet - between a big mortgage and more expensive cars than they can really afford, it's often self inflicted.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
FYI keep in mind on $90k in income you're going to be paying around $5,000 a year in state income tax. With a lower valued home and assuming a low or no mortgage, you might not even hit the standard deduction to get any of that back.

So add in property tax + state income tax to get a total tax burden when looking at other states with no income tax (FL, TN, etc). NV does not have a state income tax so keep that in mind. Total property tax and income tax in NC will probably be around $7,000 a year for the OP before his wife goes back to work.

As your wife goes back to work your tax burden will increase even more so. I do not recommend NC as a state for someone who can work from home and earns above average wages.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Im6stuck at trying to figure out6why your only looking at $200k with an $90k/year income that will increase when wife goes back to work.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Im6stuck at trying to figure out6why your only looking at $200k with an $90k/year income that will increase when wife goes back to work.
Because smart people decide on the least house they need, not the most they can afford.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Because smart people decide on the least house they need, not the most they can afford.
I'd like to say that's why we're still in our "starter" home, but the fact is that it's a big pain in the butt to move. There are lots of things we don't like about this house, but the location and the low mortgage payment can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary