Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 PM

37 posts, read 27,698 times

Advertisements

Hi all, new poster, prepping for a move from NYC down to the Triangle area. Been reading the FAQs and various threads voraciously, and came across a post that gave me some pause.

I'm not terribly concerned about insects or vermin - both can be taken care of with enough diligence and control over your property. But one house I was really growing to like in Chapel Hill that's currently on the market has a significant issue - it has three manholes on or just beyond the property, all connecting to the same sanitary sewer line. Besides necessitating an easement that makes planting or building a chore, I'm a bit concerned that these manholes will basically be a never-ending stream of roaches feeding on raw sewage and breeding.

Anyone have experience with stemming the tide on these? I presume that you need a permit to pop them and spray, which seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Hi all, new poster, prepping for a move from NYC down to the Triangle area. Been reading the FAQs and various threads voraciously, and came across a post that gave me some pause.

I'm not terribly concerned about insects or vermin - both can be taken care of with enough diligence and control over your property. But one house I was really growing to like in Chapel Hill that's currently on the market has a significant issue - it has three manholes on or just beyond the property, all connecting to the same sanitary sewer line. Besides necessitating an easement that makes planting or building a chore, I'm a bit concerned that these manholes will basically be a never-ending stream of roaches feeding on raw sewage and breeding.

Anyone have experience with stemming the tide on these? I presume that you need a permit to pop them and spray, which seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Not in Chapel Hill, but in Cary.
Several years ago, we had roaches coming out of the sanitary sewer. I called the Town of Cary, and they were out the next day spraying the manholes.
Worked like a charm.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 PM

37 posts, read 27,698 times
I presume in Chapel Hill this'd mean a call to OWASA. They've been pretty responsive to my repeated inquiries about the sewer and easement situation on multiple properties, so that's a ray of hope. Hopefully someone has direct experience in CH? I'd presume any sufficiently warm summer would have the pipes bursting at the seams with the buggers.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
They were so bad around the sewers at our condo in Singapore that dogs were scared

Old 03-29-2017, 06:24 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Okay, so you are from NYC, so you have a different perception of roaches. And a different kind of roaches! Most of the roaches you get in NC are the woodsy outdoor kind. They can get in your house but will literally starve to death because there is nothing for them to eat inside. They get big, multiply quickly, and are gross, but they are not german cockroaches. They can't and won't feed on sewage.

That isn't to say that you can't get the kind of cockroaches that feed on raw sewage in NC. But it isn't really a thing here.

If you have hesitations about the property with the three manholes, fine. But don't borrow trouble. I suspect you are projecting because you know that NC is vastly different from NYC, but you are struggling to qualify just what is different about it. Roaches in the manholes........just not something you need to worry overly about.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, so you are from NYC, so you have a different perception of roaches. And a different kind of roaches! Most of the roaches you get in NC are the woodsy outdoor kind. They can get in your house but will literally starve to death because there is nothing for them to eat inside. They get big, multiply quickly, and are gross, but they are not german cockroaches. They can't and won't feed on sewage.

That isn't to say that you can't get the kind of cockroaches that feed on raw sewage in NC. But it isn't really a thing here.

If you have hesitations about the property with the three manholes, fine. But don't borrow trouble. I suspect you are projecting because you know that NC is vastly different from NYC, but you are struggling to qualify just what is different about it. Roaches in the manholes........just not something you need to worry overly about.
Truth!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The idea of calling the town to take care of their problem, and they actually do it, as Mike suggested, is probably also foreign to him coming from NYC.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
We certainly have roaches in the sanitary sewers here.
They feed on grease. That is why they are most common infesting kitchens. Sanitary sewers are full of grease, too.

In our other house, we had a summer where I worked late, drove home nightly after dark, and they were streaming out of manholes.
Used to dance around the culdesac stomping roaches, just so the neighbors would laugh with me...
When the town came out to spray, nearly immediately after they were called, they lifted the manhole covers, and the manholes were lined with the buggers.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:32 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

The same outdoor woodsy roaches are in NYC. They do get in apartments and you find them dead on the sidewalks in the early morning. Those things will survive us all, everywhere

Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In our other house, we had a summer where I worked late, drove home nightly after dark, and they were streaming out of manholes.

Used to dance around the culdesac stomping roaches, just so the neighbors would laugh with me...
When the town came out to spray, nearly immediately after they were called, they lifted the manhole covers, and the manholes were lined with the buggers.

I saw this at the I-40 Exit 364 rest area late one night and I will never stop there at night again if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary