Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Yes, the price per SF is high....however, we pay $178 monthly HOA fee, includes all lawn maintenance and use of our 37,000 SF clubhouse with indoor pool, outdoor pool, full gym, pottery room w/kiln, tennis, pickleball, bocci etc etc. you are purchasing a "lifestyle".
Yes. "You're buying a lifestyle." So right.
The home is a secondary consideration.
Unless a buyer is going to heavily use the community amenities, the houses have little to recommend them.

Walk through the models, and notice how they are falling apart....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with JaPaKoMom no way would I pay $600K for a Pulte home - anywhere.
Nor would I! It's why we purchased a smaller home. We're still working full time and not 100% we'll stay after retirement.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:23 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
Yes, the price per SF is high....however, we pay $178 monthly HOA fee, includes all lawn maintenance and use of our 37,000 SF clubhouse with indoor pool, outdoor pool, full gym, pottery room w/kiln, tennis, pickleball, bocci etc etc. you are purchasing a "lifestyle".
Sounds like highway robbery to me. You can't have that "lifestyle" outside of your neighborhood?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Sounds like highway robbery to me. You can't have that "lifestyle" outside of your neighborhood?
$178 isn't a bad deal at all, if one uses the amenities.

The Del Webb clubhouses are really amazing, over 30,000SF, and offer myriad learning and social opportunities.
Residents start clubs, and last year I was told there were hundreds of clubs.
Organized expeditions, etc.

Throw in lawn maintenance, and the $178 looks like a real value.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
$178 isn't a bad deal at all, if one uses the amenities.

The Del Webb clubhouses are really amazing, over 30,000SF, and offer myriad learning and social opportunities.
Residents start clubs, and last year I was told there were hundreds of clubs.
Organized expeditions, etc.

Throw in lawn maintenance, and the $178 looks like a real value.
The $178.00 per month maybe be good for what they get, but you have to overpay on a Pulte home to subsidize the lifestyle.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
The $178.00 per month maybe be good for what they get, but you have to overpay on a Pulte home to subsidize the lifestyle.
Oddly, the OP opened the thread because outside the community he cannot find the model he likes for the price that Pulte offers it at Del Webb.

And, bear in mind....
Resale value is excellent in Dell Webb communities. So, people overpay on the back end for the buyer who gets their cookies cut just how they like them in the beginning.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Quote:
I live in a Del Webb community here in the Triangle (Carolina Arbors). Please realize that all Del Webb communities are priced differently depending on geographic location, demand, area growth etc. Our community has sold well and my model, while one of the smaller ones, has increased in price (base price) by $60,000 since we purchased it in 2013.

Also, the starting price of $357,900 for a Napa Valley is just that...a starting price. Expect at least $75,000-100K in upgrades PLUS a lot premium (likely $25-80,000). So, your $357K house will likely be closer to $500,000. A Napa Valley with a nice amount of upgrades, nice lot AND second floor (extra bedroom, bath and loft) will exceed $600K. Just sayin'.
Wowza, if that's correct, and I have no basis to doubt it - there's no way we'd buy a Pulte home anyway. We'd probably want a loft, screen porch, fireplace and upgraded cabinets, countertops, appliances, shower - so it sounds like that would cost way more than we're willing to pay.

We understand Del Webb communities are priced differently depending on geographic locations, just like real estate anywhere. The prices are low in AZ for example, but there is no way we'd move to AZ.

The home build quality of the Del Webb community near us looks decent (we asked some random homeowners too), and we really liked the layouts and finishes (we realize models have all the upgrades). However, the homes all look way too similar from the outside even with 11 models, we prefer a neighborhood with at least some trees, and we're not too keen on being in a 55+ community. So while I can see the appeal for many, Carolina Arbors is highly unlikely for us.

Looks like we'll have to look at non-55+ developments and/or resale around the Triangle to get what we want. We're planning a trip in August, if not before.

Thanks all of your for your thoughts, more are welcome too.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 AM

174 posts, read 194,360 times
The models have been under constant sales pressure for 4+ years. I can see them from my house, and there is a constant flow of visitors. We have lived in our upgraded Abbeville for three years, and have had exactly two problems, both minor. Warranty handled them without a quibble.

When we were looking for homes in the Triangle 4 years ago (MULTIPLE visits over a two year period) we were unable to find any acceptable single-story houses within a half-hour drive of RDU. Had no (0.00) intention of going into a 55+.

The houses here are, totally adequate-- not superior, but pretty-well thought out and well built for the price range. My biggest annoyance so far is that the garages are too narrow, but we could see that before we bought. It was built on-time, to specification, and on-budget, something rarely encountered in my experience. Right now, the landscaping is awful, but in most cases it is less than two years old, certainly no older than 4 years. Yes, the limited range of house-colors is... annoying. From experience, though, it is nowhere near as annoying as being next to one painted hot pink or visible-from-orbit yellow.

The life-style thing is useful to some... my wife is very active in clubs and events, I am not at all. I really enjoy the unlimited access to the gym and pool, though.

My previous neighborhood in coastal CT was pretty much 55+, just based on income and demographics. There are still kids visiting their parents and grandparents here.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,881 times
Quote:
That sounds ridiculously overpriced. You could get a custom builder to build a nice home for that kind of price. I guess you are buying into the community to surround yourself with similar people.

Wow...that is a rude post. The constant hate for tract homes on this board is comical. If there wasn't a market for them they wouldn't be built. You are implying that the OP is a dolt who did no homework and threw their money away out of pure laziness. Maybe just maybe they did do their due diligence and the home met their needs better than any other options. Maybe its exactly what they wanted. Maybe the build quality was what they desired. Maybe they are going to do alright financially with the investment.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Wow...that is a rude post. The constant hate for tract homes on this board is comical. If there wasn't a market for them they wouldn't be built. You are implying that the OP is a dolt who did no homework and threw their money away out of pure laziness. Maybe just maybe they did do their due diligence and the home met their needs better than any other options. Maybe its exactly what they wanted. Maybe the build quality was what they desired. Maybe they are going to do alright financially with the investment.
Not implying anything like you suggest. You are reading a little too much into what I wrote. The OP did not purchase a home. They were only looking at them. I was pointing out that a custom home could be built for the same price. Take that how you will. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a tract home, but I would not pay more than it is worth. If I am spending north of $500,000. it would not be on a tract home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary