Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 5,948 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a new job May 1 North of Roxboro. We are looking at the Timberlake area. Our biggest concern are the schools. It's VERY hit and miss on elementary school quality and I have not found a good middle school anywhere in the area.

Any insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Also, what are the costs for bringing vehicles into the country? How hard is it to get a license in NC? Do we have to just pay a fee or do we have to take a test?

Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
BUMP this thread.

Hope someone can help this friend! He had posted in the Virginia forum and I told him somebody here would help him out with info on the school options between Durham and the VA state line!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
I believe there are school rating sites that you can use. I believe that northern Durham County has decent schools, but I am not positive.

You can google NC DMV for the answers on the vehicle stuff. My internet is being difficult tonight, so I couldn't provide an actual link (an issue you might want to explore when you are looking for a home, we only have satellite internet and it's snowing right now, so it's running slow). I actually love the Roxboro area. Depending on how much you want to spend, Hyco Lake is a great place to live! My parents have had a house up there since 2001. It is my happy place.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM

122 posts, read 98,270 times
I can't speak to northern Durham schools. Can speak a little to Person county schools since we lived there before moving to Wake. If you live in Timberlake the elem school is Helena. I think it's ok. There's another in Hurdle Mills - Oak Lane - which I liked better and my youngest went there. He was very happy, the atmosphere was friendly, and the teachers were great. He did well, made progress.

My oldest boy went to Southern Middle which I think was rated better than Northern Middle. We lived south of Roxboro. Then he went to Person High school and I have no complaints about that school.... they sent kids to UNC and other colleges just like the Wake schools do. I think there were higher levels of support and goodwill towards the Person county school system than towards the Wake school system .... seems like all I hear about with Wake schools are complaints. My oldest boy transferred to Green Hope when we moved to Wake which isn't a totally horrid school by any means, but frankly, we preferred the teaching at PHS and he did better and was happier there too.

I actually miss Person county. We have been in Wake a few years now and we are finally moving out. We're going to Alamance which will be near to my husband's new job and not so far from Person and Caswell. Can't wait! It should be easier for me to drive up to visit friends.

Oh one more thing. There is a charter school, Roxboro Community, which is very popular. I heard there were northern Durham families that applied for places there because they preferred to take their kids to Person for their education than go to a school in their county. That may be another option for you for next school year - the lottery is over for this year.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 5,948 times
Thank you for the info. We have about a year and a half before my oldest goes to school so I will look into the community school.

As for internet, it looks like most of the houses have charter DSL but it's only 3 mbps. I am on satellite internet now as it SUCKS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary