Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,005,475 times

Advertisements

Can anyone with an Amazon Fire TV streaming box answer this?

I bought mine from Amazon, and just set it up. I decided to try a trial subscription of Hulu, and when I clicked on the app, it said "Download it - You Own It". I never set up an account with Hulu or any other streaming service.

I scrolled through the apps, and see that it says that for Direct TV, Sling, You Tube, and a number of others.

I don't understand what is going on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 AM

20,093 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Cut the cable, save the $150 a month, then go out and setup with 4/5 different content providers and spend practically the same amount per month. Cutting the cable to me means an antenna.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:00 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Cut the cable, save the $150 a month, then go out and setup with 4/5 different content providers and spend practically the same amount per month. Cutting the cable to me means an antenna.
I've actually noticed that since I've cut the cord, I've been watching less TV. I have Netflix and Sling still for $30/month but I actually just really watch stuff on Netflix and the antenna.

Yes, the people who cut the cord but then still want their few obscure channels are going to not save much money but it's great for people who had cable but weren't sure why they still had it. (It's not for everything)

Old 07-15-2017, 06:14 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Can anyone with an Amazon Fire TV streaming box answer this?

I bought mine from Amazon, and just set it up. I decided to try a trial subscription of Hulu, and when I clicked on the app, it said "Download it - You Own It". I never set up an account with Hulu or any other streaming service.

I scrolled through the apps, and see that it says that for Direct TV, Sling, You Tube, and a number of others.

I don't understand what is going on....
They may just be suggested apps, or did you add those on Amazon but never set up accounts with them?

I just bought fire TV as well, but I had the fire stick before. So I got the download - you own it message for the apps I needed to reinstall.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
But the channels I watch aren't really the local channels, except for ABC.

I like Vue because I watch a lot of network news, AMC, HBO, ABC...I also just got fiber, so I should end up saving around $40/month. That works for me. It might be more, but I can't get a straight answer out of AT&T.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I've actually noticed that since I've cut the cord, I've been watching less TV. I have Netflix and Sling still for $30/month but I actually just really watch stuff on Netflix and the antenna.

Yes, the people who cut the cord but then still want their few obscure channels are going to not save much money but it's great for people who had cable but weren't sure why they still had it. (It's not for everything)
$40 a month for PS Vue, and when I want to watch a special series on Hulu, Netflix, HBO, etc. I'll sign up and watch it then cancel after. Plus a few series a year I'll buy on iTunes. The content on PS Vue is perfect for my viewing habits.

The friends I have who have had a hard time cutting the cord and saving significant money are those who are sports addicts. I don't watch sports, and PS Vue is all I need.

But cable cutters like myself have motives other than saving a few dollars. I got tired of paying Comcast for crap I didn't want, upselling, renting a DVR, the price hikes. I want to pick and choose what I spend my money on -- and if enough of us cut the cable, it will in my opinion force the carriers to reconsider their practices. I think it's already happening

Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The friends I have who have had a hard time cutting the cord and saving significant money are those who are sports addicts. I don't watch sports, and PS Vue is all I need.
I'm a sports addict and it was a rough transition for me. I've finally figured it out though and I get SlingTV in the fall and winter for ESPN & college football/basketball - add on NFL Red Zone for NFL games in the fall and that's good enough for me. I don't subscribe to Sling after March Madness and through the summer and Netflix is enough for me (luckily for me T-Mobile gives me free access to MLB TV!)

Old 07-16-2017, 04:39 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,005,475 times
We are starting with just Hulu (the original Hulu, not Hulu with Live TV) and our Mohu Curve 30 OTA Antenna, which works great, BTW, and Amazon Prime, which we had anyway.

So we're spending $7.95/mos vs $125. Are some things we used to watch not available? Sure. But there are lots of things we didn't have before that we can now watch to replace those.

My husband misses Fox News and I miss Bravo and a few other things, but I, like a lot of people was just tired of throwing my money at something that's basically a big time s**k anyway. He's willing to get the news on his iPad and I can do without Bravo.

Hubby has to have his NFL for the Fall, so we will do the same - sign up for Sling then, then get rid of it after the season.

NorasMom - let me know how you like AT&T Fiber. We're thinking of changing from Comcast for internet as we can get a better price with AT&T. The apps I didn't buy but Amazon I think means they are on the Fire TV so you "own" them. Strange wording.

Next project - on to the cell phones! Time to get out from under that ridiculous bill. They're as bad as the cable companies. Looking at Boom, a Verizon MVNO. Anyone familiar with it? For the same 2GB plan for 2 phones, looks like we can save @$75/mos and no longer have to deal with contracts.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
My husband misses Fox News and I miss Bravo and a few other things, but I, like a lot of people was just tired of throwing my money at something that's basically a big time s**k anyway. He's willing to get the news on his iPad and I can do without Bravo.

Hubby has to have his NFL for the Fall, so we will do the same - sign up for Sling then, then get rid of it after the season.

Next project - on to the cell phones! Time to get out from under that ridiculous bill. They're as bad as the cable companies. Looking at Boom, a Verizon MVNO. Anyone familiar with it? For the same 2GB plan for 2 phones, looks like we can save @$75/mos and no longer have to deal with contracts.
Now a days there's so much online video content that you can pretty much get the important parts of a show from the video clips that are posted online.

In terms of cell phones - the key is really looking at prepaid plans and MVNO's. It also helps if you don't necessarily need an expensive phone and can do without the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy etc... you pay $100-200 for them but the actual retail price is $500-600 and the rest of it goes into your bill each month.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Boom is a fairly new entrant to prepaid. I use Total Wireless, under America Movil, which owns brands such as Straight Talk, Net10, Tracfone, etc. Total is all Verizon. The Boom plan for $25 only has 1gb data which was too low for us, and for $60 ($30/line) under Total we get unlimited talk/text and 4gb data each.

Keep in mind Verizon prepaid slows their data speeds down to 6mbps on LTE. It's not as fast as you are used to but still pretty good for everyday use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary