Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times

Advertisements

A navy friend, who seemed to always end up near Naval air stations, got so used to jet noise, on one move he told the realtor his preference was "anything in a flight path."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
And Morrisville up until recently had no residential developments at all, none. It was only businesses.

So take cotton place for instance. I do not understand how they can sell those houses on that tiny piece of property. It's basically a soccer field sized piece of land that someone shoved a ton of houses on somehow.

So a developer comes in, puts up houses on a tiny piece of property where no one previously wanted to live, and now the airport needs to have noise restrictions? I can't see why anyone would want to pay to live there.
Whats recently? I moved to an 1100 home subdivision there 17 years ago and there were already people there before that.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM

150 posts, read 227,248 times
In the last 20-25 years.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I don't think it's an error to think the developers of B Creek knew before they spent millions on swanky high end houses and 🏌 courses, there wouldn't be an excess of planes flying overhead. They knew where the path of planes take off and land. So you can be very close to the airport and hear far less noise. How is that wrong? I lived over in B Creek for a year and had a friend with a nice house on the golf course. And I couldn't ever remember being overly bothered by planes. And you could practically spit on the airport. We'll maybe not spit, but you see my point. The fact that you can be further away from the terminals and hear more noise is valid.

And to say that politics, money and people don't have an impact on air traffic above is hard to believe. Sure, the science, weather and safety guidelines are there and must be followed.

Airports and cities have been sued many a times over noise and air traffic. Adjustments can and will be made over time.
The airport was there long beforehand. There's no conspiracy.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
it wasn't so much the direction they were flying that I could tell, they were just flying a lot lower those couple windy days. Now, no different than before.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
A navy friend, who seemed to always end up near Naval air stations, got so used to jet noise, on one move he told the realtor his preference was "anything in a flight path."
And I would not doubt that your friend would often step out the door to identify planes going by.
My USAF uncle would run out the door.... "Thought that sounded like an F4."

Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 AM

188 posts, read 151,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Navy salaries are very weak compared to private sector jobs (not talking total benefits, just wages and thus home borrowing potential). So often the only housing choices within their grasp are right near the air bases (low cost), or they look for other ways to get a good deal (i.e. reduced sales price due to airport noise, etc).

Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
B Creek is far closer than where I live. I'm twice the distance away from a terminal. But you're not going to route planes over million dollar houses on the golf course. That was decided a long time ago and the reason morrisville is more business & industry

I'm only in morrisville temporarily, so it's not that big a deal for me. A year goes by quick if you're renting a house. But on occasion, people do make mistakes. Planes can fly too low and changes can be made to improve residents quality of life.

So there's nothing wrong with bringing up a discussion. If you think businesses don't try to beat the system and take shortcuts to save money, then you're mistaken.

Just because you live next to the city dump, doesn't mean they can do whatever they want.
Oh if only this were true. NextGen came to JFK and soon one of the most expensive zip codes in NY State was being wracked by low flying planes every 30 seconds. And at least half the town was built before JFK was a twinkle in the eye. If you really think the FAA routes planes based on costs of housing in their potential flight path you are truly delusional.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:58 PM

216 posts, read 538,968 times
It's not a pilot/airplane problem it's an ATC problem as the tower (approach/departure) where to go per the pilots filing standard routes. Pilots don't do their own thing unless an emergency is declared, or weather in and around the field.

Those standard departures/arrivals can be tweaked by a notice to Airman by airport as mentioned before if a navigational aid is out, either for maintenance, upgrades, or testing or construction on the field, or if another aircraft is having an emergency either on the ground or air.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,471 times
Quote:
B Creek is far closer than where I live. I'm twice the distance away from a terminal. But you're not going to route planes over million dollar houses on the golf course.
Actually, planes come in right over Prestonwood all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary