U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM

90 posts, read 78,152 times

Advertisements

This area is off of Six Forks, between Sawmill and Lynn Rd. We've driven through here and it looks adorable with a nice park for children, but the reviews on city-data aren't so great. The reviews are also a few years old. Anyone live there now or have insight into the area? Is crime a problem? Is Lynn Road Elementary a decent place? TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 30,393,517 times
My very first home was on Longstreet Drive. We purchased when they were brand new. All homes built by Key Homes. Back in the day, they were one of the first big production builders.

The homes in Six Forks North have gone up in price but...

When people moved up to larger homes, many of the Six Forks North homes were kept and used as rental properties, which did bring prices to a standstill. I've actually had clients buy a few of these homes, years ago, and use them for rental properties. The problems occur when people don't take care of their homes and there is no HOA to enforce rules about cleaning your exterior or not parking your cars on the grass! I actually know there was a home that had goats in the backyard! No, I am NOT kidding!

There were issues with drugs at the Stony Hill condos, which hasn't helped.

I haven't driven through the n'hood lately or looked at prices but I HOPE it is getting better and going up in price!!!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,335,835 times
I used to live in an apartment complex across Six Forks from the neighborhood while saving money to buy my townhouse and there were definitely a few incidents that made the area interesting. Like VickR mentioned, tons of rental properties and low-income families due to cheaper rentals that make it not as great as other North Raleigh neighborhoods.

It's not crazy crime-wise though but if you are looking to buy, it may not be the best area. Access to the greenway is definitely nice!

Last edited by pierretong1991; 04-09-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 09:03 PM

90 posts, read 78,152 times
Thanks for the replies! It was hard to tell because houses are cute, people were pushing strollers to the park, but there were a lot of apartments in parts.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 PM

61 posts, read 47,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoncat View Post
This area is off of Six Forks, between Sawmill and Lynn Rd. We've driven through here and it looks adorable with a nice park for children, but the reviews on city-data aren't so great. The reviews are also a few years old. Anyone live there now or have insight into the area? Is crime a problem? Is Lynn Road Elementary a decent place? TIA.
Lynn Road Elementary is part of the Wake County school system's Elementary Support Model program, meaning it gets extra help because the test scores aren't so great and it's got a lot of low-income kids.

http://www.wcpss.net/site/default.as...3553&PageID=24

Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 30,393,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaleighite View Post
Lynn Road Elementary is part of the Wake County school system's Elementary Support Model program, meaning it gets extra help because the test scores aren't so great and it's got a lot of low-income kids.

http://www.wcpss.net/site/default.as...3553&PageID=24
Very sad as Lynn Road used to be one of the best elementary schools.

I've heard that busing ruined it, which is unfortunate.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,235,060 times
Hi,
I lived in Six Forks North from 2004- 2014 on Mockingbird Drive. I LOVED the neighborhood, we used to walk to the restaurants and we loved being super close to the greenway trails. We NEVER had a problem with crime, drugs, or anything of the sort. We moved in 2014 to North Haven ( only a mile away) as we needed a bigger house but we still miss our little house on Mockingbird.

Six Forks North is a good starter neighborhood esp if you want to live in the area but can't afford a $300k plus house.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 PM

61 posts, read 47,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Very sad as Lynn Road used to be one of the best elementary schools.

I've heard that busing ruined it, which is unfortunate.
Wake has actually reduced the number of Southeast Raleigh neighborhoods assigned to Lynn Road over the years. What seems to be more of an issue is that all the nearby charter schools and magnet schools have been way more attractive to middle-class families in the neighborhood. The result is that the kids from the apartments and those still from Southeast Raleigh are now a greater share of Lynn Road's enrollment. It didn't help that a few years ago the Lynn Road PTA fought against becoming a magnet school because the program would have been Montessori.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,134,910 times
What's your budget? I personally wouldn't buy in that area but if your budget is say up to 300k perhaps Northclift would be more to your liking. Lots of families, access to greenway and a little closer to North Hills. Also doesn't have a ton of apartments and is mostly owner occupied.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,794,809 times
I live in this general area, off Longstreet (but not Bent Creek - not sure where that is right off hand). I LURRRRRRVVVE where I live - a street off Longstreet but not ON Longstreet directly. I adore my small ranch house and my neighbors- mostly young couples and families and retirees. . My particular area has pretty low crime. The sense I get is that much of the crime takes place directly ON Longstreet, and particularly in that old kind of run-down condo neighborhood close to Six Forks. There seems to be a large number of mostly rental properties on this part of Longstreet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
Hi,
I lived in Six Forks North from 2004- 2014 on Mockingbird Drive. I LOVED the neighborhood, we used to walk to the restaurants and we loved being super close to the greenway trails. We NEVER had a problem with crime, drugs, or anything of the sort. We moved in 2014 to North Haven ( only a mile away) as we needed a bigger house but we still miss our little house on Mockingbird.

Six Forks North is a good starter neighborhood esp if you want to live in the area but can't afford a $300k plus house.
This has been my experience as well! It's walking distance to EVERYTHING! It's probably not ideal for large families, as the houses tend to be on the small side. I'm single and childless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The homes in Six Forks North have gone up in price but...

When people moved up to larger homes, many of the Six Forks North homes were kept and used as rental properties, which did bring prices to a standstill. I've actually had clients buy a few of these homes, years ago, and use them for rental properties. The problems occur when people don't take care of their homes and there is no HOA to enforce rules about cleaning your exterior or not parking your cars on the grass! I actually know there was a home that had goats in the backyard! No, I am NOT kidding!

There were issues with drugs at the Stony Hill condos, which hasn't helped.

I haven't driven through the n'hood lately or looked at prices but I HOPE it is getting better and going up in price!!!
My neighbor - who has been here since the neighborhood was built - claims couples and families are starting to move back in. And prices ARE going up. I'm wishing I'd purchased a few years ago, and snapped up a couple as income properties, instead of buying on an uptick in prices.

Last edited by Special_Guest; 04-15-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary