Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM

187 posts, read 226,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
Coming from NY/LI, I found there to be a good amount of quick getaways that are an easy drive. By easy I mean we don' typically hit traffic like we did trying to go anywhere from LI. The wine country in yadkin valley is beautiful and an easy day trip ( don't drink too much if driving). Asheville is a very easy 3 hour drive. Charleston and Savannah are further, about 5 hours, but again, very easy drives. Wrightsville beach is beautiful and about 2-2.5 hours away. We have done it in a day and it was fine. Did it on a Saturday in August and didn't hit any traffic at all. Atlanta is 5-5.5 hours away. We have driven that and it was easy, but you never know what sort of traffic you will hit in ATL. And Charlotte is only 2 hours away I think. But I still haven't made it there. And there are lots of smaller areas that we have yet to visit, but would like to like Winston-Salem Charlottesville, and Richmond.
Good to know, thanks!! Those are the type of road trips I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Cost of living is awesome. Culturally speaking, forget about it. Yes it appears all new and shiny but the finish wears off. After (2) years, there, would still love to hear your experience.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Glad you liked it. We've been here 28 years but miss public transit the most.

Raleigh has some nice museums, but nothing like NYC. After a while, they will become boring to you.

Think hard about the long run. A visit is almost always great but be sure the place will keep meeting your needs.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 PM

You both may be right. See where I am now in NJ, I hate it (except for being able to travel to a lot of places away from here). So maybe just about anywhere else would look fabulous to me, but I tried to see the Raleigh area without rose colored glasses, and if I would be happy staying here for years. It's hard to decide that in only a few days trip time. However I'll be very busy. I'll be attending grad school and working as a new nurse. The university I'm at now for my BSN is VERY SMALL. That has pros and cons. But I feel like I'd like something different. Right now I am in the middle of crime (drugs), pollution, and other unpleasant things, and I really do hate it and would not be happy at all to stay here. I like some areas of north NJ, and I like the Princeton area, but the taxes and houses are a very high cost.

I'm visiting Tampa in the summer, because that's another area we're considering moving to. I love being outdoors (this will sound crazy but me and my mom kept saying "listen - I hear birds!" a lot during this trip since we DON'T here) and I think I'll like the Raleigh area better but I'll have to wait and see.

We explored some of VA too. It's very pretty too, like NC, and I loved it but we couldn't really find a city to meet all our needs including cost, out of Richmond, Williamsburg, and Charlottesville. I loved Charlottesville but my mom didn't she felt like it was too far from civilization.

If I wasn't moving with my mom, honestly I'd look at Cambridge MA or other states out west, but my mom wants the east coast and south. I don't think I could afford grad school living on my own. Thanks again for reading and your thoughts.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:09 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
This area is getting way more expensive as people move here and enormous burdens are being are put on taxpayers for infrastructure needs not covered by impact fees.

The tax structure is favoring the wealthy and business at the detriment of moderate income citizens.

Be sure to get informed about the bigoted, unfair Republican legislature that has many times made NC a prime contender for dumbest state in the US.

Having spent a year in Edison Township, I understand your desire to leave NJ. Please don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Evaluate your situation and cost of living here.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Have you considered Charlotte?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM

194 posts, read 194,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The tax structure is favoring the wealthy and business at the detriment of moderate income citizens.

Be sure to get informed about the bigoted, unfair Republican legislature that has many times made NC a prime contender for dumbest state in the US.
Can you post some examples or links of said tax structure and Republican legislature you've encountered? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
This area is getting way more expensive as people move here and enormous burdens are being are put on taxpayers for infrastructure needs not covered by impact fees.

Having spent a year in Edison Township, I understand your desire to leave NJ. Please don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Evaluate your situation and cost of living here.
So aside from not enough public transportation and taxes on the rise (but don't forget NJ has the highest property tax in the US!), why do you use that idiom about jumping into fire? I don't know what all to look for maybe when I consider a new place to move.

These are what I mainly look at:
Crime
Job availability/pay
College town and a good nursing grad school is a bonus
Cost of houses and taxes, and if the neighborhood looks taken care of
Enough of a younger population/families
Climate
Industrialization
Outdoor activities (parks, hiking, sports, etc)
Nearby cities and road trips

Last edited by Abirdinahand; 04-17-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Have you considered Charlotte?
Sort of...the Raleigh area seems more family friendly but that was just from my little bit of research and not first hand experience. Do you think Charlotte is a better area?

Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Not necessarily better but downtown is more developed urban feel if you're looking for a more city feel close by and they have public transit train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary