Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times

Advertisements

My sad 30 year old kitchen with grey laminate counters finally has to go. I've been reading a lot of the kitchen remodel threads posted here over the past few years for tips and recommendations. I've gotten one big box quote that was surprisingly reasonable, but I'm thinking I should investigate independent local places as well.

My big question has to do with cabinet cost - what is a reasonable amount to spend "per box" for decent cabinets? I don't have champagne tastes at all, and am looking to just replace my existing layout exactly (not at a lot of options due to a windowed bump out and resulting odd shape). My big box quote is ~$250 per cabinet for 11 or so cabinets - a quality and style I'd likely be perfectly happy with for years to come.

What sort of prices would I run into at a local place for mid level cabinets, on average? I'm just talking the boxes at this point as I know labor is another question altogether.

Current recommendations for places to check out would be appreciated as well!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,650 times
I put an Ikea kitchen in my home a little over a year ago and absolutely love it. It was significantly cheaper than any other company and they are excellent quality. If you don't like the doors there are companies online you can order custom doors from and you use Ikea boxes. Everyone that has seen my kitchen loves it. Take the drive to Charlotte and check them out yourself. My 2nd consideration was going with an online company with ready to assemble cabinets (just like ikea) but getting a true wood shaker door.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
We used Ultracraft cabinets. Made in Liberty NC.
I am very pleased with the cabinets. They are frameless, with shaker doors.
Tons of options available.
We went with BIG drawers in the base cabinets, and with the frameless, they are completely full width of the box.

We used Reico Kitchen and Bath in Raleigh. Don't know that I would recommend them much, particularly after feedback from a client whose small job they boogered up a little, but they do have a very nice showroom where you can see a lot of variety.

I would expect you could be in the $350--$400/box, but certainly worth shopping around for another Ultracraft vendor/installer.
I have to say, we were very happy with their granite installers.
We could have saved a few bucks, but went with plywood boxes entirely, rather than any furniture-frade particleboard. I was OK with the added expense.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Would IKEA cabinets be a turnoff for resale?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Would IKEA cabinets be a turnoff for resale?
The answer to that depends on the price point of the home and the quality of those selling around it.

I wouldn't put IKEA cabinets in a million dollar home unless the land is worth $900k and the home $100k (ie California).

Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I put an Ikea kitchen in my home a little over a year ago and absolutely love it. It was significantly cheaper than any other company and they are excellent quality. If you don't like the doors there are companies online you can order custom doors from and you use Ikea boxes. Everyone that has seen my kitchen loves it. Take the drive to Charlotte and check them out yourself. My 2nd consideration was going with an online company with ready to assemble cabinets (just like ikea) but getting a true wood shaker door.
I love Ikea cabinets, but I'm not a DIYer. I know there are companies that will install them, but with Charlotte being 2 hours away it may be more of a hassle than I want to deal with. If I hadn't already been living with this fugly kitchen for 8 years, I'd be inclined to wait for Ikea to open here!

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I love Ikea cabinets, but I'm not a DIYer. I know there are companies that will install them, but with Charlotte being 2 hours away it may be more of a hassle than I want to deal with. If I hadn't already been living with this fugly kitchen for 8 years, I'd be inclined to wait for Ikea to open here!
IKEA will design it for you IIRC. They will ship for ~$150 from their Charlotte store to your doorstep. Hire a handyman to install. Save tens of thousands.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We used Ultracraft cabinets. Made in Liberty NC.
I am very pleased with the cabinets. They are frameless, with shaker doors.
Tons of options available.
We went with BIG drawers in the base cabinets, and with the frameless, they are completely full width of the box.

We used Reico Kitchen and Bath in Raleigh. Don't know that I would recommend them much, particularly after feedback from a client whose small job they boogered up a little, but they do have a very nice showroom where you can see a lot of variety.

I would expect you could be in the $350--$400/box, but certainly worth shopping around for another Ultracraft vendor/installer.
I have to say, we were very happy with their granite installers.
We could have saved a few bucks, but went with plywood boxes entirely, rather than any furniture-frade particleboard. I was OK with the added expense.
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about frameless cabinets, but since space is SO limited in my kitchen it could be well worth it. $400/box wouldn't be too bad, particularly if there was more space. I like Shaker cabinets as well!

Old 04-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
IKEA will design it for you IIRC. They will ship for ~$150 from their Charlotte store to your doorstep. Hire a handyman to install. Save tens of thousands.
Well, maybe not tens of thousands.. I'm looking at <$5K if I go the big box route.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Well, maybe not tens of thousands.. I'm looking at <$5K if I go the big box route.
Haha yeah that was kinda embellished

I will say I was very impressed with the IKEA quality though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary