Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But, I might think differently on this if speed limits were set with sound engineering practices rather than politically.
I don't know how the speed limit on the highways around here were set originally but for the most part from what I saw when I was working with the NCDOT traffic unit in Wilmington was that speed limits were set based on design standards for roads and speed studies at the 85th percentile (at least the cases where I helped out the local traffic engineer). Not sure how much of it is actually "political".

I would say that the speed limits in North Carolina are far more reasonable than in the Northeast where you have 55 mph speed limits on every highway while people are going 70-80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I would say that the speed limits in North Carolina are far more reasonable than in the Northeast where you have 55 mph speed limits on every highway while people are going 70-80.
Sounds like Atlanta to me.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Sounds like Atlanta to me.
I remember when I was learning how to drive in Boston and had to stick to the speed limits on Route 128/Route 2 around Boston - glad those days are over now haha

Old 04-14-2017, 03:28 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You must be from NC, because that seems to be the default for driving around here. I bet you also think it's ok to drive on Cary Parkway from Tryon Rd to Harrison Ave doing 30 in the left lane because you need to make that left onto Harrison. Honestly, it's not that complicated to get to the left lane when you need, and if it is DRIVE THE MOFO SPEED LIMIT while you're in the left lane if you REALLY feel you can't get over. High House is also a hot bed of people texting and watching movies or reading the news on their phones. I see it ALL THE TIME on that road.

There are like two-three left turns that anyone would reasonable be making during rush hour on High House, by the way.
I'm not from NC, but that doesn't matter because this is a PROBLEM no matter what state you're in.

I don't do 30 on High House road -I actually drive the speed limit or 5mph over, and get into the left lane well in advance when I'm approaching my left turn. If someone behind me wants to go over 60 mph, then that's their problem. Because going 60mph on High House is unsafe anyway.

The other issue is that many right lane roads in the Triangle disappear because they turn into right turn only lanes. Once you figure that out and want to move to the left lane, the drivers in the left lane assume you are just trying to "beat traffic" and won't let you in. WTF?

Maybe you want to speak to all of the other aggressive drivers who don't let people into the left lane when people need to make a left turn.....yeah because letting 1 come in front of you will make you late for your important appointment that you should have left earlier from your house anyway.

Last edited by Universe93B; 04-14-2017 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 04:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I remember when I was learning how to drive in Boston and had to stick to the speed limits on Route 128/Route 2 around Boston - glad those days are over now haha
Haha....ditto. I never understood the 55mph speed limit on those roads.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:24 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
If you are at the max permitted speed, how are you impeding the flow of traffic?

If so, those passing you need to be cited as soon as they pass.

I've seen signs in other states saying "slower traffic must keep right". This makes sense. Only issue in NC is that the right lane many times disappears.

Stupid is what stupid does.

Many local streets were posted for 45 mph when they had few driveways cutting in. Now, 45 is stupidly unsafe. I will not move over on those roads if there is no safe way to do so.

As my father said as a taxi driver with horn blowers, "Blow it out your arse".

Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I am from a state that will cite you if you do not keep right and pass left. I've never seen so many trucks and slow drivers in what should be the passing lane. Absolutely oblivious.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
This has been argued a gazillion times, but traveling in the left lane on a divided highway with no left exits is not the same as traveling in the left lane of a local road with a median and cuts that allow left turns.

There's nothing wrong with actually planning ahead and being in the lane you need to be in, rather than risking having to jam yourself over at the last minute. There's no law against passing on the right, so I don't see what the issue is if someone isn't traveling at your acceptable speed in the left lane.

Now on a divided highway where the left lane is actually a passing lane, then yes there's no reason for slower traffic to be in the left lane. However, traffic that isn't traveling to your speed spec has every right to also use the left lane to pass cars that are going slower than them.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 162,977 times
So many people on roads like High House drive 10 mph below speed limit for no reason, even in the left lane! If there are two people driving the same speed, side-by-side, not during rush hour (which happens all the time on High House), whoever is driving the same speed in the left lane needs to speed up or move the heck over. I don't care if your left turn is two stoplights away, don't impede the flow of traffic because of it.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
So many people on roads like High House drive 10 mph below speed limit for no reason, even in the left lane! If there are two people driving the same speed, side-by-side, not during rush hour (which happens all the time on High House), whoever is driving the same speed in the left lane needs to speed up or move the heck over. I don't care if your left turn is two stoplights away, don't impede the flow of traffic because of it.
This! Totally yes! Same with Cary Parkway in the morning.

Get out of the fricking left damn lane. You're impeding traffic and I can't just pass you on the right because the sane slow drivers are already in that right lane. You have more than enough time to get over one lane to make your left turn when you need to.

This argument always pisses me off. No, no I can't pass on the right. There's already 3 slow drivers in that lane like they should be. Then there's your stupid fool self camped out in the left lane smack along side in the middle of them. I can't pass.

Go shop at the damn Fresh Market after the morning rush hour when everyone else gets to work. I swear the number of people I've been stuck behind down Cary Parkway in the morning in the left lane that travel from as far down as US-1 / Tryon just to turn into that grocery store parking lot is unreal. Don't tell me you need to be there to make your left turn. If you can't negotiate a lane change over that length of distance you shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle.

#venting #flipatable #argh #nervestruck

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary