Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 AM

360 posts, read 721,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Not to advocate tresspassing or anything, but I've been wondering when anyone is going to get around to tearing down that big old hotel on Capitol Blvd just a bit north of the 440 exit. It does have a big fence around it. Not as cool as the Velvet Cloak. That place had an atrium with an indoor pool. it must have been nice back in its day.
The owner plans to refurbish it into another hotel with no plans of tearing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
Whenever possible I prefer going alone. However I do have four people that
I love going with as well sometimes. They are great explorers and know their stuff.
I think it's fun to go with people sometimes and see how they photographed the same
location.

I will never carry a gun because if you get in jam with someone it could be turned and used
on you? The only thing I ever carry are my cameras and tripod and a small can of mace.
Also anything you carry could be used against you by security, the police, etc in court.

I can't share my locations, I'm sorry. I will say that pics one, two and four are in North Carolina
and pic three is in New York. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentosik View Post
Thanks for hint especially for security ones
I am not going to such places alone. I wonder if taking a handgun with me
would be smart decision? I will not take it but I wonder what you guys would
do if you were me.

Any chance you share location?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 7,703 times
You have a big old hotel that's about to be torn down because...it's old? Kalamazoo tried everything to revitalize its downtown and in desperation, turned to historic preservation. Kzoo definition: you will do absolutely nothing to modernize the exteriors, but keep them in good repair and do whatever you want inside. Result: less than two percent vacancy rate. Sounds as if Raleigh is in a 1950s development mode. Is that 1950s outlook lurking below the surface in other areas of life?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZOLady View Post
Is that 1950s outlook lurking below the surface in other areas of life?
If a large population is looking to move to an area, they need to have some sort of housing. So there is a lot of construction going on. There are some tear downs, but it is not a majority of the building taking place. That goes for commercial construction too.

What is the "1950's outlook lurking below the surface" to mean?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZOLady View Post
You have a big old hotel that's about to be torn down because...it's old?
Are you talking about the Velvet Cloak Inn? It was a motel, not a hotel. It wasn't really that old. Built in the 60s in a faux New Orleans style, but by the time I moved here in the late 80s it was already in deep decline. It ultimately failed as a motel, was partially converted to condos, fell into further disrepair, and was closed by inspectors.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
I think the hotel they are talking about is the one
here... 35.818683, -78.597957.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I think the hotel they are talking about is the one
here... 35.818683, -78.597957.
I believe that's the one..

Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post

I will never carry a gun because if you get in jam with someone it could be turned and used
on you?

It's a huge responsibility if you do. But if you do pull it out it is for situations where you fear for your life or fear great bodily harm, and the intent would be to warn and then fire if the threat is still there. Not much time for them to grab the gun if you are committed.

Now, having said that...it would be very difficult to assess/act/be on target without a lot of practice.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 PM

197 posts, read 208,403 times
Did you know that the first Hunger Games movie was filmed in western NC?
When I saw this thread I thought about where District 12 was filmed.

Hunger Games
I know this site became a tourist attraction but it's been a while since the movie release so it may be deserted again... Looks like the website has not been updated since 2015 but you could inquire about their current state. It's not a Triangle location but it could be a nice weekend trip.

Another website: https://www.visitnc.com/trip-idea/go...e-hunger-games

Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Are you talking about the Velvet Cloak Inn? It was a motel, not a hotel. It wasn't really that old. Built in the 60s in a faux New Orleans style, but by the time I moved here in the late 80s it was already in deep decline. It ultimately failed as a motel, was partially converted to condos, fell into further disrepair, and was closed by inspectors.
It's also been torn down completely as of a week/so ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary