Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,257 times

Advertisements

I really do appreciate all of your feedback, it really helps in my decision making. We're primarily looking for an area that is more suburban with walking trails. I also like to golf but not necessarily looking to live in golf course community, just like to have courses available. We do enjoy traveling 2 to 3 times a year for a good vacation, usually Mexico or the Caribbean. We also have grandchildren that live in VA and Maryland that we tend to visit on occasion. Both Lions gate and Riverwood sound interesting, I'll be looking into both of those areas. My understanding is that Riverwood has one area with an Athletic facility and another that is more of a gold community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,935,871 times
I have to agree with some of the others that have said that Clayton might be just a little too far out there especially in terms of medical care. I also don't believe Clayton (and much of Johnston County) is very diverse. However each person's view and desire for diversity could mean different things.

For instance my husband is Black and I am White. I could pull the demographics for certain areas to see what areas may have both Blacks and Whites living in it. However those demographics don't tell me how tolerant/accepting those people really are. I can tell you first hand that when we are in that area we FEEL and SEE the intolerance.

Also to me diversity would mean more than just Blacks and Whites. Johnston County/Clayton is not as diverse as Wake County would be (or some of the other nearby counties) and is still a little too "old school" South for me. But it is growing and more and more transplants are starting to move there (into the newer subdivisions) so in time things might change. It's just not a place that our family would be comfortable living in right now even with our children being grown and out of the house now.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Hosea View Post
We're primarily looking for an area that is more suburban with walking trails.
That sounds exactly like Cary. Fantastic greenway system. Very suburban. Pretty diverse. Friendly. Easy access to the airport and healthcare. Very centrally located.

I would also consider Durham, especially southwest Durham near Southpoint Mall and Chapel Hill. It's a pretty safe area with access to the American Tobacco Trail. Since school district is not a worry your dollars might go farther in Durham and it's a much more diverse and interesting place than Clayton.

BTW, Cary and Durham would be a little bit closer to Pinebluff than Clayton. If it's between Clayton and Charleston then Charleston wins hands down. Durham or Cary don't have the tourist buzz that Charleston does, but they are very livable cities and Durham, especially, has a restaurant scene to rival Charleston's.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-18-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I have to agree with some of the others that have said that Clayton might be just a little too far out there especially in terms of medical care. I also don't believe Clayton (and much of Johnston County) is very diverse. However each person's view and desire for diversity could mean different things.

For instance my husband is Black and I am White. I could pull the demographics for certain areas to see what areas may have both Blacks and Whites living in it. However those demographics don't tell me how tolerant/accepting those people really are. I can tell you first hand that when we are in that area we FEEL and SEE the intolerance.

Also to me diversity would mean more than just Blacks and Whites. Johnston County/Clayton is not as diverse as Wake County would be (or some of the other nearby counties) and is still a little too "old school" South for me. But it is growing and more and more transplants are starting to move there (into the newer subdivisions) so in time things might change. It's just not a place that our family would be comfortable living in right now even with our children being grown and out of the house now.
My son's friend, who is AA, moved to Clayton and came back to Raleigh because they were not welcomed.

My neighborhood in North Raleigh is very diverse and welcoming.

Have you considered an apartment to eliminate most maintenance? In my community, maintenance will even change light bulbs for you since we have high ceilings.

You can easily walk to Target, Walmart, and Triangle Town Center mall.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Johnston Health in Clayton is now associated with UNC.
I hope it's better than Johnston's other hospital in Smithfield. One of my relatives was admitted to the Smithfield location 7 years ago due to complications from diabetes and he got a real bad MRSA infection due to their negligence.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:14 PM

I have a lot to consider but I truly appreciate all of the various perspectives that each of you have provided.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM

207 posts, read 433,244 times
I live in Clayton and have since I was 16. Honestly no matter where my family lives, if I could retire anywhere, it would not be Clayton. But if you are dead set for Clayton - you should consider Glen Laurel. It is a golf community with a wide range of home types/sizes. It is safe and well cared for on the golf course. My next choice would be Pine Hollow which is another older golf neighborhood with a variety of size options. I would not recommend River Wood. I live in Flowers Plantation.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc789 View Post
I live in Clayton and have since I was 16. Honestly no matter where my family lives, if I could retire anywhere, it would not be Clayton. But if you are dead set for Clayton - you should consider Glen Laurel. It is a golf community with a wide range of home types/sizes. It is safe and well cared for on the golf course. My next choice would be Pine Hollow which is another older golf neighborhood with a variety of size options. I would not recommend River Wood. I live in Flowers Plantation.

Thanks for the advice PKC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary