Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,260 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to determine if Clayton, NC would be a great place to retire for me and my wife, we are African American, both 62 years of age and considering this area for retirement. We're presently living in Columbus, OH and are planning retirement in March or June 2018. We're looking for a 3 bedroom home, approximately 2000 square feet or more, ideally a ranch or first floor master. A diverse neighborhood is important to us and a safe environment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 02:18 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
No.

As your age increases and your driving ability decreases, you will not want to live where highway travel is your only way to get places.

I cannot use the freeways and miss out on many nice things because public transit is skimpy.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Hmmm, CapitalBlvd does have a point about Clayton being a little further out. You might check out Cary if that works with your price point. It's very central and safe and pretty diverse. Are you looking for a 55+ community or just a ranch/first floor master?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanks to both of you for your feedback, no we're not looking for a 55+ community, as for price point, we're looking at between 200,000 and 250,000

Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 PM

137 posts, read 306,320 times
I would look into Cary, as well. They have inexpensive (possibly free?) transit services for seniors, a senior center with classes and other things of interest for the 55+ crowd. It's a nice area with many different shopping areas.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
62 years old and retiring? I see nothing about requiring public transportation. Clayton is a good option. Johnston Health in Clayton is now associated with UNC. Good health care is available and more on the way in the next couple of years. Easy commute to Raleigh. Clayton is good option for OP request. I suggest you make a trip down and take a look.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks to each of you for your assistance, I'm going to plan a trip to the area and to look at a few homes. Any recommendations on the specific subdivisions. My wife and I will be visiting the Charleston, SC area in a couple of weeks to look at that area but I'm leaning more so towards the Clayton area, my wife's family actually lives in the Pinebluff, NC area so it would be very convenient for her.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times
I was going to ask about family. good to have nearby in my opinion. After you retire do you see a lot of travel in your future? Clayton is close to I-40 and not too far from I-95. Probably about an hour to RDU airport in most traffic situations.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM

12 posts, read 10,949 times
What type of neighborhood are you interested in? Walkable, or more suburban, or country? There aren't many, if any, areas of Clayton that I wouldn't consider safe. Lionsgate and Riverwood are planned neighborhoods with a gym, trails, etc. Lionsgate is walkable to the Town community center if that is of interest, and Riverwood is on a 30+ mile greenway. Both close to downtown Clayton which has food/shopping and events, and is close to Raleigh. Those are the things I'd look for if retired anyhow. Downtown is nice and quite diverse too but small so it can be hard to find a home as they get sold quickly once on the market. The Walk is a new 55+ neighborhood that has a multi-use trail leading to downtown; not sure of their price point. Plenty of other neighborhoods to choose from depending on what you are looking for; if you settle on the area a real estate agent will be able to give you some ideas based on criteria.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I'd want to be closer to healthcare options than Clayton as you get older. While they have one affiliated with unc it doesn't have all of the services you'll get on the main campus of rex or unc. Plus duke is pretty far if you wind up needing any of their services. I would tend to look at morrisville or Cary first then Durham but make sure you choose the safer areas in Durham. But Clayton is very nice and safe, it's just too far out there for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary