Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 39,439 times

Advertisements

WRAL and Fox News are now reporting that a second person is believed to have been involved. The photos have been color-enhanced and they believe that a second person is in the backseat.

I'm tempted to photocopy this color-enhanced photo a thousand times, and post it all over Durham and Chapel Hill. We need as many eyes on this photo as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondog View Post
Just curious, and by no means am I discounting how heinous a crime this was, does anyone remember Abhijit Mahato? or Latrese Curtis?
I have been thinking this all along. I don't think this case should receive ANY less coverage, I just wonder why the others did not receive MORE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Very sad story indeed. I'm just thinking here, but why was she out prior to 5am and where did she live?
College life is so far from those of us doing the 9-5 thing. I remember studying in the library past 1am, going for crappy pizza at 2am, working out at 6am, and that's probably just the average kid; Think about one with a job, or one as active as this young lady was in student organizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I think it's strange that people are suddenly talking about gangs in this thread, seeing as the police do not yet have any suspects in this case. When they do identify suspects, there's a very good chance they will not be gang members.
I agree 100%. The gang thing is so far from what is most important here. People who have never been in gangs commit atrocious homicide and on the other side, all people in gangs aren't murderers. Don't misread me, I am not unconcerned about gangs or gang violence, I just believe there are far more callous criminals in existence who will do this sort of thing whether they have a circle of rotten friends or not. There are obvious gangs but past that how do we define what a gang is... the interpretation is going to be different from person to person. It doesn't take a group of thugs to do this, just a greedy, heartless, cold, individual. I can't help but remember the Cynthia Moreland tragedy (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/moreland/story/483091.html - broken link) 1.5 years ago....
Heartbreaking. A mother and wife taken from her family, and what does the accused do? He drives her car to the dollar store to purchase toothpaste with her debit card right afterwards.

I'm not sure what is scarier for me, that these types of people either care so little about life that they'll commit senseless murder or that that they are stupid enough to think they can get away with it, using the victim's car and debit card etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I thought this was a "Christian" area? What is being said here is not very Christian at all...so think about that when you all are going to church tomorrow.
Transplants may be spreading the religious demographics but I still think of NC as a baptist state. Things like this can really test your religious beliefs. I'm a Christian and after a lot of thought, lately I've come to the rationalization that the death penalty is not something I can say is the right thing to do. As an imperfect man, and a father I have to say however that I am glad there are those of us who are willing to "push the button". I struggle with it, but I just don't see much rehabilitation for this kind of criminal and/or sexual predators as well.

As a father I can only think about how a parent spends 22 years raising and loving their child just to have it end like this. It is simply the most unimaginable thing having your child taken from you in any manner but especially this way. Trying to imagine the pain those parents feel makes me think a lot of un-Christian like things that I just can't even put in writing.

Last edited by tlh1005; 03-09-2008 at 11:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM

74 posts, read 183,846 times
In my humble opinion, the cause of this tragedy is likely robbery. Unfortunately, because of these difficult economic times, you are going to see more of this, especially in "unlikely" places. It's a byproduct of what's happening in this country with the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer, and some people don't want to have to work for the money and obviously have no respect for human life. Sad but true. This can happen anywhere and does.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
As a father I can only think about how a parent spends 22 years raising and loving their child just to have it end like this. It is simply the most unimaginable thing having your child taken from you in any manner but especially this way. Trying to imagine the pain those parents feel makes me think a lot of un-Christian like things that I just can't even put in writing.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
The suspect in the case is wearing gang "colors" (and in gang style), so it looks like the speculation about gangs was warranted.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The suspect in the case is wearing gang "colors" (and in gang style), so it looks like the speculation about gangs was warranted.
Maybe - but not necessarily. It's not like we are overrun with gangs here and all violent crimes are gang-related. Given that the suspect apparently tried to use her ATM card and was driving her vehicle, it stands to reason a robbery would be the explanation.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Here's an article that discusses the possible 2nd suspect & features the color photos of the suspect:
Second Person Thought to Be in Car :: WRAL.com

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Does it look to anyone else like the suspect has a cell phone in his hand? If so, maybe a 3rd person involved who stayed back with the victim?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Isn't the Houston Astros logo associated with the Crips street gang?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Yes, H in logo is for Hoover Crips

Looks like they found her cell phone at a shopping center on the way between Chapel Hill (where the murder occured) and Durham:

Police Examine Gang Connection, Cell Phone, Photos in UNC Student Slaying :: WRAL.com

Officers recovered Carson's cell phone about 1 1/2 miles from the scene of her death, according to search warrants. Sprint Nextel helped police find the phone near a shopping center located on the main road that runs between Chapel Hill and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary