Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone attacking me? I didn't want this young lady to die. I want justice for the killer!

I thought this was a "Christian" area? What is being said here is not very Christian at all...so think about that when you all are going to church tomorrow. I want this animal to suffer too, but this is a society of laws and we don't drag criminals out into the street and shoot them. Do you want us to be like Saudi Arabia or Iran? He will get his justice. Do you people realize that people die like this everyday? Seems no one ever gets too outragged about it, until the media makes this into the biggest story ever. Justice will be served, but some of you need to stop acting like a bunch of animals.

Trust me when I say I do want justice for this unhuman being...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

Right, because clearly my speculation on city data forum is impacting the investigation. Of course. I expect a protest from the SBI at any moment, as the suspect may be lurking here. I think he even may have posted about restaurants and perhaps about the Wake County school system.

(have the thread pulled then, the entire thing is a discussion of what ifs)
My comment wasn't regarding the investigation, it was regarding the fact that our society loves to immediately judge a situation without all the information needed to form a proper opinion.

It is disrespectful to Eve Carson to create some baseless description of what happened without any actual information.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Why is everyone attacking me? I didn't want this young lady to die. I want justice for the killer!

I thought this was a "Christian" area? What is being said here is not very Christian at all...so think about that when you all are going to church tomorrow. I want this animal to suffer too, but this is a society of laws and we don't drag criminals out into the street and shoot them. Do you want us to be like Saudi Arabia or Iran? He will get his justice. Do you people realize that people die like this everyday? Seems no one ever gets too outragged about it, until the media makes this into the biggest story ever. Justice will be served, but some of you need to stop acting like a bunch of animals.

Trust me when I say I do want justice for this unhuman being...
I'm Catholic and in our church, they always preach "love the sinner, hate the sin", which is another way of asking for forgiveness, I guess.

I'm not quite that noble. As I mentioned a few posts ago, a friend of mine was brutally murdered about a month ago and there's no way I could even begin to wish anything but Dante's lowest level of inferno for her killer (who then committed suicide). Though I didn't know Eve Carson, I don't do much better when I think about her killer and I hope there's room for one more in that special area of h*ll. Though Eve's killer is still alive, I'm willing to call ahead and reserve a table.

What a terrible, senseless tragedy.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Default ** Moderator Note:

Alright everyone, please calm down. And lets discuss the topic not eachother please. Each member is allowed their say.

This is a firm warning; any personal attacks or pouncing on another member will result in infractions and the thread will be closed.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-08-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
I mentioned earlier that a friend of mine was brutally murdered a few years ago. Whenever I hear a story on the news that someone has been killed, I remember my friend. What makes this particular story pick at those old scars more than others is simply the media coverage and the comments in this thread. It is so strange to know someone personally and hurt in your heart for their loss and then hear total strangers talk about it. I can't describe how surreal that feels.

It is impossible to imagine how this feels until it has touched you personally. I can see why some people feel a desire to hurt the killer as much as s/he hurt the person s/he killed. But I can also understand the person who stays their hand ... the person who chooses to think again.

The man who brutally killed my friend was a total stranger - a mentally ill homeless man. He was caught within 48 hours of the crime. I don't want to recount the whole story here, but as the truth came out, something happened that I cannot explain. None of us wanted to seek the death penalty: Not my friend's parents or his fiancee or any of his close friends. We didn't want that man loose on the streets, of course, but there was a much stronger desire to get him the help he needed than to simply exterminate him. I know this sounds strange to some people - and it might sound especially odd if you knew the full details - but this is how we felt. It felt right to spare his life. It felt right to not condemn that man to the same fate my friend faced.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I mentioned earlier that a friend of mine was brutally murdered a few years ago. Whenever I hear a story on the news that someone has been killed, I remember my friend. What makes this story pick at those old scars more than others is simply the media coverage and the comments in this thread. It is so strange to know someone personally and hurt in your heart for their loss and then hear total strangers talk about it. I can't describe how surreal that feels.

It is impossible to imagine how this feels until it has touched you personally. I can see why some people feel a desire to hurt the killer as much as s/he hurt the person s/he killed. But I can also understand the person who stays their hand ... the person who choses to think again.

The man who brutally killed my friend was a total stranger - a mentally ill homeless man. He was caught within 48 hours of the crime. I don't want to recount the whole story here, but as the truth came out, something happened that I cannot explain. None of us wanted to seek the death penalty: Not my friend's parents or his fiancee or any of his close friends. We didn't want that man loose on the streets, of course, but there was a much stronger desire to get him the help he needed than to simply exterminate him. I know this sounds strange to some people - and it might sound especially odd if you knew the full details - but this is how we felt. It felt right to spare his life. It felt right to not condemn that man to the same fate my friend faced.
I can understand that, Mrs. Steel. And I suppose we should all reserve our final judgement until the killer is caught and/or we know more details. Your friend's killer was mentally ill so perhaps I would have felt the same. But in the case of my friend, we all knew immediately who it was and we all correctly guessed that it would end with a suicide, once we found out that he was on the run. My first thought was anger--I wanted the trial, the sentence, the jail time, etc. But in the long run, this is best. The taxpayers are spared the expense, my state doesn't have the death penalty anyway so the worst he would have received was life, if that--some lawyer probably would have gotten him convicted of a lesser charge and the children involved would have had to deal with him 10-20 years down the road. Sometimes the ends do justify the means.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 AM

7 posts, read 39,432 times
Default Where to find pepper spray, mace, keychain alarms in the Triangle?

In light of the recent absolutely tragic and heartbreaking events in Chapel Hill, I wanted to ask:

Where might I go about finding pepper spray, mace, and/or keychain alarms in the Triangle? I want to make sure that the loved ones in my life have some tools to protect themselves.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Studies show a death penalty doesn't deter crime. This guy was dumb enough to use an ATM, surely he wouldn't care about his punishment.
There is one deterrent proved to be true.

No offender successfully executed has ever been known to commit another crime.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I thought this was a "Christian" area?
Wow...no, it's not ... in fact this area is probably the most diverse in NC ... so please, no lectures about our Christianity... some of us are agnostic half-Jews with Catholic mothers who are leaning toward unitarianism

(If you thought you were on a Christian board you are definitely in the wrong place, though there are people here who do identify themselves that way).

The point people are making to you is we don't really care about the killer's fate, that's not up to us to care about - and I believe that would be between the killer and their god, no?

You're right about this sort of thing happening every day - I think because of who she was, it's become a big story.

Last edited by scorp200; 03-09-2008 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post

How horrible - so sorry for your loss - yeah I guess you never know how you will feel until faced with that situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary