Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM

55 posts, read 88,136 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife has a 2011 BMW X5 and a few days ago the check engine light was on. I read the error code (P0306) which indicates a misfire for cylinder 6. Hopefully this is just a coil issue...

Since the car is not under warranty, I would prefer to go to a local mechanics rather than a dealer. Can someone recommend a mechanics around NCSU for a BMW car?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
Can't specifically say that any of these is near you, but Raleigh has several independent shops specializing in BMW repairs. Here are a few that generally get mentioned on the local BMW groups on FB regularly.

Bimmer Performance Center
Shade Tree Garage
G3 Automotive Solutions

Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM

138 posts, read 119,496 times
I took mine to Shade tree garage when i had the engine misfire on a 2004 bmw. I had already ruled out coil by switching the coils, because the code did not move. So i knew it was spark plugs when i took the car to them. They did the right diagnosis, and replaced spark plugs. Price was quite good for a bmw shop, and they even gave me a rental car when i had the car serviced for oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplim View Post
Hello all,

My wife has a 2011 BMW X5 and a few days ago the check engine light was on. I read the error code (P0306) which indicates a misfire for cylinder 6. Hopefully this is just a coil issue...

Since the car is not under warranty, I would prefer to go to a local mechanics rather than a dealer. Can someone recommend a mechanics around NCSU for a BMW car?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 AM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
Definitely sounds like a coil or plugs. Why not change both yourself? It's super easy on a BMW! You can get a new coil on ebay for less $100 (generic ones are even less), and plugs for $30.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I can recommend Bimmer Performance Center it's not near your desired location but they are good.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I have no experience with them but West German Garage on Hillsborough is close to NC State.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplim View Post
Hello all,

Thanks!
I give another thumbs up to Shade Tree Garage. Truett is a terrific shop owner and his mechanics are first rate.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 PM

171 posts, read 143,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have no experience with them but West German Garage on Hillsborough is close to NC State.
I took a VW GTI there for years. Great shop. I went there for maintenance, oil changes and recalls. One of the things I hated when I traded the VW was that I wouldn't be going there for Mechanic work anymore.

I just got a BMW and I know that when the warranty runs out I'll be back at West German Garage for anything I need. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even gotten a BMW if I didn't have such a good mechanic available for non-warranty repair work.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Have owned BMW vehicles (and motorcycles) since 2002. Leith, Shade Tree, and BPC are all great. Agree with posters above - I'm guessing its spark plugs more likely than coils, but both are fairly inexpensive to change and you can try plugs first to see if that solves it.

Leith offers 15% off parts and labor for BMW CCA (car club) members which is about $45/yr if I remember correctly so you can always join and then get your savings back later if you spend enough, but it should be easy to DIY if you do a quick search on your model and engine - there's likely a "how to" posted on either YouTube or a BMW discussion board somewhere.

I do all my own work in my home shop (lift/tools/diagnostics/etc) but the three above I have personally used and been happy with in the past when I didn't feel or couldn't do whatever the work was at the time.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
You should probably have them check the turn signals while it's there, I see so many BMW's with them broken, must be a thing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary