Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Even the custom builders are relying on subs for the actual build. When an area is throwing up houses as fast as this area does at times, it is always a concern. You at least hope the custom guys are supervising and catching the most egregious things better than the big national builders, but that isn't always the case. If you build new, really good to keep an eye on things along the way, bringing a knowledgable person with you. Most people just wait till the end and get an inspector to a cursory check
Custom builders have been using subs for decades! My parents owned a home building business and they used subs back in the 70's. It all hinges on pride of workmanship and the site manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
As someone seriously considering moving to the Triangle, this thread isn't encouraging.

And the two realtors we contacted didn't seem to have time for us. I didn't take offense, more I took it as things are hopping for realtors at the moment, which means there aren't going to be any bargains. I've read the same.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As someone seriously considering moving to the Triangle, this thread isn't encouraging.

And the two realtors we contacted didn't seem to have time for us. I didn't take offense, more I took it as things are hopping for realtors at the moment, which means there aren't going to be any bargains. I've read the same.
It is definitely a sellers market for homes less than $400,000.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Spring is just a busy time, but my realtor said there isn't a whole lot of inventory. We were lucky to put in an offer on our home in December.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Custom builders have been using subs for decades! My parents owned a home building business and they used subs back in the 70's. It all hinges on pride of workmanship and the site manager.
Agreed. This is key.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I would not be looking for a bargain. This is a rapidly expanding area.

I'd be looking for a good home at a fair price.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM

124 posts, read 173,957 times
Are there older houses in this area (like new England)? Like built in the 50s at least if not earlier? (timber or brick, 3 bedrooms, up to 450k, .5 acre at least) Just a quick look on trulia seems they are all new and cheap, vinyl, track homes essentially, which I have had enough of living out here in the west and in socal.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM

420 posts, read 451,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Are there older houses in this area (like new England)? Like built in the 50s at least if not earlier? (timber or brick, 3 bedrooms, up to 450k, .5 acre at least) Just a quick look on trulia seems they are all new and cheap, vinyl, track homes essentially, which I have had enough of living out here in the west and in socal.
They exist but you would have to work with a realtor who really knows the triangle and can show you what's available in the neighborhoods that have these homes. As has been said, the day's of bargains in the most convenient areas are long gone but you can find a fair price for a solid home as long as you have the means and willingness to bring it up to code should it be necessary. The realtors on here can offer much better guidance than I can but they have been so busy in this sellers market that I have not seen them on here too much recently. The long timers can also be helpful. good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 PM

124 posts, read 173,957 times
Thanks, tri love!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For fun my wife and I went to look at some "model" homes builders are putting up in NE Raleigh off Louisburg Rd. I don't know the builders. They were at the intersection of 401/Louisburg and Forestville Rd, toward Wake Forest.

The first was $250k but normally optioned at $275k-$280k. Had another section of the development that was around $400k. Did not like the neighborhood at all and the homes screamed "cheap". Carpet was HORRIBLE. I asked "is this the carpet you put in all your homes? Including the $400k ones?" Yes was the answer, they use the same materials throughout the development.

This is section 8 carpet as my carpet installer/landlord friend puts it. He puts it in homes that get trashed because of low end renters. <$1.00 per sq ft.

The next was advertised as "from the 300's" but generally were built to the $400k price range. The lots are much bigger and average around 1/3 acre. The build quality of the home was "ok" but I honestly felt my $200k home was built to the same or better quality. Trim was not mitered correctly in areas, drywall corners were cracking, even the floors had shoe molding on them when they should've been laid first then baseboard placed on top (this screams afterthought). Kitchen cabinets looked nice on the outside, then you open them and again it just screams "cheap". There were nicer things about it over my current house like the layout but I wondered about long term durability of it, and thought "is this all one gets for $400k?!?".

Same issue with the carpet, after 1.5 years of use it was worn down and looked dingy. If I moved into that house I would have the carpet replaced.

It seems all the money is spent making the outside look fancy, the kitchen LOOK nice, and the master bathroom spacious.
I agree with this completely. Does it have granite countertops and is in a pool community? SOLD. Forget the other details. However, to be fair, my spouse and I visited several houses during the Parade of Homes about 10+ years ago in North Raleigh, right around the time of the last housing peak, and saw a lot of the same issues. Baseboards that were clearly different sizes and didn't match, pieced together and meeting in the middle of a room (not even in a corner). Crown moulding poorly installed with caulk making up the difference. Horribly cheap carpeting (like there wasn't even a pad underneath) in second floor rooms. I don't remember the prices but of course most of them commanded top dollar at the time. We were not yet home owners ourselves and I remember feeling turned off by new construction at that time (and sure enough, we ended up buying a foreclosure a year and a half later). With the high demand and low supply these days, I imagine things have returned to the same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary