Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 PM

119 posts, read 201,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
Drivers who have the GREEN light have the right of way. The creation of the right on red rule was approved for those times when a vehicle is turning right and no one is in the 'thru' traffic lane who has the green light. Why is this activity so difficult to live with? Are you that selfish, are you in that much of a hurry? Law enforcement has indicated that many accidents occur because of the drivers who think "right on red" means to turn right anytime they want, even if a vehicle is approaching and is IN the intersection . Good Grief!!
I have seen this at 2-way stops quite a bit. The cross-traffic has a stop sign, but the main (2-lane) road doesn't--folks turning right from the stop sign do so without any consideration of the oncoming traffic, other than "they can slow down." Infuriates me.

That said, most traffic annoyances could be solved in one very simple step:
  • Leave five minutes earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Noticing this while driving around yesterday - I will say that sight distance and turning radius are a factor. Sometimes right turns are tight so that you cannot physically turn directly into the far right lane. Also if there is a truck or large vehicle stopped in the lane to the left that's pulled up to the stop bar or in front of it, it can be hard to see whether any vehicles are coming from up the road.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I may not be understanding correctly, but in MA, and possibly other New England states, it is accepted practice that when a light turns green, oncoming traffic will turn left immediately, rather than in the rest of the country where those turning left must wait for oncoming traffic to go first. Damn Yankees.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I may not be understanding correctly, but in MA, and possibly other New England states, it is accepted practice that when a light turns green, oncoming traffic will turn left immediately, rather than in the rest of the country where those turning left must wait for oncoming traffic to go first. Damn Yankees.
I mean you can always attempt to go left when the light goes green if you want to hedge a bet with the grim reaper.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
I vividly recall when my family moved to MA from OH the first time we saw that happen. My mother was appalled. 25 years of driving and she had never seen let alone thought of doing such a thing....

26 years in MA and she still never picked up the practice....much to the chagrin of the natives.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
I understand they do this in Pittsburgh also, but I don't remember seeing this in the part of southwestern PA that I'm from.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 PM

46 posts, read 132,045 times
Thanks for the great input. 1) law enforcement equals 2 Raleigh police officers I have discussed this subject with 2) not talking at all about turning left. Am only commenting when two lanes driving straight thru an intersection and have the green light. Both lanes bumper to bumper with rush hour traffic and driver turns right on red right in front of on coming traffic. Perfect example: cars going north on Atlantic, crossing Spring Forest approaching Dixie. An added problem here: This intersection also has the problem of drivers in the right lane who crowd over into the left thru lane in front of SheetZ - cannot believe there have not been more accidents here. I think of "right on red" as a gift. Use it carefully when able, sit and wait your turn when not safe. Just goes to show a lack of courtesy on our highways now, more than ever. Thanks again all, good conversation.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I do not think it's more of a problem before. People always say that. I think people are noticing it more.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 AM

46 posts, read 132,045 times
And don't you love it when the right on red driver floors it out in front of you so we have to eat the exhaust!

I never claimed to be a "perfect" driver, but this issue is a problem that will not go away. Just venting - maybe ONE person will stop and think before doing it again. I wonder how many know of the origin of the rule? Those of us who remember are probably more apt to get bothered by it. Those who don't might be clueless that pulling out in front of another is inconsiderate.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
Drivers who have the GREEN light have the right of way. The creation of the right on red rule was approved for those times when a vehicle is turning right and no one is in the 'thru' traffic lane who has the green light. Why is this activity so difficult to live with? Are you that selfish, are you in that much of a hurry? Law enforcement has indicated that many accidents occur because of the drivers who think "right on red" means to turn right anytime they want, even if a vehicle is approaching and is IN the intersection . Good Grief!!

I guarantee you, people who do that are all from New Jersey. I know, I used to live among those people. I moved here to get away from them, but they are here too and brought their angry aggressive driving with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary