Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I am relaxed and not worried. I started this thread to talk about the great companies coming to or expanding in this area and about the strength of our local economy compared to the U.S. I am not sure why talking positively about the area is such an issue with some people. Although we are not allowed to point out any particular member, I can assure you that I have seen many, many posts on many threads that totally trash the area without any information to actually back it up. I have chosen to be positive and have backed up my position with fact. When someone disputes the facts on a hair splitting technicality, I back it up with more factual information. Is there a problem with pointing out reality and trying to calm down the natural human panic emotions?
All you contribute in terms of "facts" are new job links. The issue of the economy and how it is doing and will due is much more complicated. We could add 50k jobs, that doesn't mean here won't be issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

403 posts, read 351,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
All you contribute in terms of "facts" are new job links. The issue of the economy and how it is doing and will due is much more complicated. We could add 50k jobs, that doesn't mean here won't be issues.

I have contributed information on new companies coming to RTP, companies expaninding in RTP and links to information showing that experts believe this area is among the strongest in the country and that companies feel the same way. I am sure that people looking for jobs find it valuable.

On the flip side, some people counter with valuable information like:
  • tech bust may happen someday
  • big business is evil
  • government stinks
  • growth stinks
Those are compelling facts. Ya, I think I change my mind. I can't compete with that. The Triangle stinks. I am leaving.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Where will you go? Canada.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 PM

190 posts, read 574,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
[*]government stinks
Welllll....there is some truth in that one. When it comes to mismanagement of funds, the NC state gov't can be a big ol' stinker. Do the state DOT trucks really need to be repainted every year, sometimes twice a year, to the tune of ~$100k? Wouldn't it be better to use a protective coating in the first place, then repaint every 2 or 3 years? Do certain state buildings really need interior design redos (~$150k a pop, if I remember right) when the money could be spend more efficiently in other areas? Is there really a reason some of the roads in Raleigh are in such disrepair when the funds COULD be there if they weren't spent senselessly in other areas (Sunnybrook Rd. in particular, but if it has been fixed, I'm glad for y'all!) Just pointing out a few things, not trying to be doomy-gloomy.

And I really don't think anyone wants you to leave. Honestly, I think you are just still in the "honeymoon" phase of living in the Triangle area, so you just don't quite see what others who have been there longer see.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Some state buildings are in major disrepair.

The Archdale Bldg downtown looks nice on the outside but is crawling with mold from water leakage.

A dorm at NCCU was redone just after construction because of mold.

Construction here is a sick joke.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM

190 posts, read 574,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Some state buildings are in major disrepair.

The Archdale Bldg downtown looks nice on the outside but is crawling with mold from water leakage.

A dorm at NCCU was redone just after construction because of mold.

Construction here is a sick joke.
I should have been more clear - forgive me, it's been one HECK of a day. Things like you listed are not "needless" interior design redos. Those are very necessary things. I was specifically thinking of the interior redecorating done in one of the state buildings that was done because it "just needed to be updated". I think it was the Legislative building, back in 2006. I've spent the last little bit trying to find an article, but my Google-fu has failed me, save for a blog blurb about the "make-over".

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes, interior redos for appearance can certainly be deferred.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,810,770 times
Woo Hoo! Way to go Raleigh et al. I can always rely on our area to bring us more opportunities. I see us swinging towards the biotech area more and more each year...which is awesome for me!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM

Good Lord..............there it is for everyone to see!

I think Canada would be too cold. I am thinking South America.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Just in.........more new jobs for the Triangle.

BD to Build in Wilson, Expand in Durham :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary