Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

How to find out who the tattler was?
I would go door-to-door, possibly with a sheathed saber and a fifth of Four Roses, and demand to know if they were the ones who snitched.
Let them know, all of 'em, I was clearly someone they don't want to trifle with...

Might as well make a splash in the new neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:07 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times
It could be that the goal was placed in the public right of way (extends beyond the street) and they did a sweep and sent them to everyone. Any easy way to tell is go online and look at the plat for your neighborhood which would show the edge of the public right of way and your property line. You might be able to move it back a few feet into your yard and outside of the public ROW.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 14,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't know what your street is or what the situation is but there usually is right of way owned by the city/state within a few feet of the pavement that you actually don't own - is the hoop located near the street potentially in the right of way?

If not, I'd fight it.
Response: The code states "in the street or gutter" as I quoted in my original comment. The letter noted "right of way" but those are not the words in the actual code. What defines the "right of way"? Couldn't find a definition in the code. There is no sidewalk either.

I did notice hoop itself could be overhanging the street. So, my first approach is to move it back so the hoop is not overlapping the road and is clearly on my property.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I see the problem here.

You turned your cul de sac into party city and the basketball goal draws the kids and (no doubt) more noise and basketballs hitting pavement nonstop.

Stop letting every kid on the street hang out down there and nobody will care.

Let your son use the goal, along with occasional friends. You have unintentionally turned your home into a community park.

If I lived next door to you and liked some privacy and quiet, I'd be annoyed, too.

Granted, I don't think I'd call the city, but are you absolutely sure the kids who wander in and out of your driveway and into the cul de sac aren't doing any damage to the neighboring properties? Grass, flower beds, hedges, etc?

Whoa, did you read something that the OP wrote that I didn't ?

Old 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
It could be that the goal was placed in the public right of way (extends beyond the street) and they did a sweep and sent them to everyone. Any easy way to tell is go online and look at the plat for your neighborhood which would show the edge of the public right of way and your property line. You might be able to move it back a few feet into your yard and outside of the public ROW.
That sounds like the most likely explanation based on the description. But there's probably truth that someone was probably pissed off and used that as an excuse to report you to the City. Technically you aren't allowed to put signs in the right of way, yet people do it all the time - it's a minor violation that often people overlook.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Whoa, did you read something that the OP wrote that I didn't ?
Yes. He said the other kids in the neighborhood use it more than his kid does.

Why are the neighborhood kids out there playing hoops while his kid isn't?

Just suggesting that that kind of basketball-playing traffic might be an nuisance to the neighbors.

If he's described it differently than it really is, I retract my comments, of course.

He did mention that a lot of kids play in that cul de sac, so maybe this just increases the volume?

All of what we say is conjecture, what with not being his neighbors or knowing the full situation.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWI5794 View Post
Response: The code states "in the street or gutter" as I quoted in my original comment. The letter noted "right of way" but those are not the words in the actual code. What defines the "right of way"? Couldn't find a definition in the code. There is no sidewalk either.

I did notice hoop itself could be overhanging the street. So, my first approach is to move it back so the hoop is not overlapping the road and is clearly on my property.

Thanks for the advice!
Even if there is no sidewalk, there's usually some land owned by the city or state (it really varies, for a neighborhood street, probably not a lot). It's there in case there needs to be improvements to the road or they need to do work etc..., they don't have to disturb your property or buy your land to make minor changes.

If you go online (GIS maps maybe?), you can see where your property line meets the right of way line. If you look at a GIS map, you'll notice that the property line doesn't go up to the edge of the pavement or gutter of the road, it's set back a certain distance.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
That sounds like the most likely explanation based on the description. But there's probably truth that someone was probably pissed off and used that as an excuse to report you to the City. Technically you aren't allowed to put signs in the right of way, yet people do it all the time - it's a minor violation that often people overlook.
Like those "Slow Children" signs?

Those kinda make me giggle (no offense to any of you who use them) because they are:

Not detractors, at all.
Those "kids" that the sign are shaped like look particularly pitiful.

I guess, when mine were little and wanted to play outside, I was one of the "play in the back yard" parents and they really didn't run around in the streets.

Because... cars.

I don't trust a sign or even my own reflexes when I have a speeding car and a kid to tend.

Kids are quick.

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Even if there is no sidewalk, there's usually some land owned by the city or state (it really varies, for a neighborhood street, probably not a lot). It's there in case there needs to be improvements to the road or they need to do work etc..., they don't have to disturb your property or buy your land to make minor changes.

If you go online (GIS maps maybe?), you can see where your property line meets the right of way line.
Right-o.
And the corner pegs on the survey are usually 10 feet from the curb, although that can vary, too.
The R.O.W. on a 30' street is usually 50' wide.

74 posts, read 67,455 times
It could be a city worker (trash pickup or similar) that reported you rather than a neighbor.

It would be easier to understand why you were cited if we had a picture. Is it overhanging any sort of walkway? The sidewalk is technically yours to maintain, yet you have to keep it clear for others. Would a garbage truck clobber it if they were turning around in the cul-de-sac? This is stuff hard to know without a pic.

I'm with others that say basketball goals and streets don't make for good neighbors. If I were you I'd report the other goals if they are playing in the street. We see goals in driveways all the time but many HOA specify that they must be x number of feet away from the road, and perpendicular to the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: