Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 6,521 times

Advertisements

[quote=mccarthy802;7131665]I am in the same situation wanting to move from north shore of MA to Raleigh, I am a stay at home father and am wondering about the playgroups and groups of kids getting together in whatever towns that any of you live in. I have many different playgroups up here in Salem, MA and get together with many women and am wondering mostly about Cary our any other town that has these things. If there are any websites that has info on this please let me know.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,073 times
I hear all these wonderful things about the area, and I really wanna give it a shot, but my ex-in-laws said that Raleigh area is smokey and the air quality is bad, mostly because my son has asthma, and loves to be outside. Can anyone confirm that rumor ?? I really dont believe it, I visited Raleigh a few years back and I didn't get that impression ... But things do change ... Also, how about the school system ? Is it Raleight that wants to do the 45-15 thing ? Thanks, all hte help is very much appreciated. We'll be moving in august of this year

Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 PM

142 posts, read 358,387 times
Raleigh public schools are part of the Wake County Public School System. here is the link to the school sytems' website Wake County Public School System

I would like to hear from others about the air quality because I too have a son with asthma and we are strongly considering relocating from Mass. this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbayarrilmt View Post
I hear all these wonderful things about the area, and I really wanna give it a shot, but my ex-in-laws said that Raleigh area is smokey and the air quality is bad, mostly because my son has asthma, and loves to be outside. Can anyone confirm that rumor ?? I really dont believe it, I visited Raleigh a few years back and I didn't get that impression ... But things do change ... Also, how about the school system ? Is it Raleight that wants to do the 45-15 thing ? Thanks, all hte help is very much appreciated. We'll be moving in august of this year

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM

121 posts, read 388,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarthy802 View Post
I am in the same situation wanting to move from north shore of MA to Raleigh, I am a stay at home father and am wondering about the playgroups and groups of kids getting together in whatever towns that any of you live in. I have many different playgroups up here in Salem, MA and get together with many women and am wondering mostly about Cary our any other town that has these things. If there are any websites that has info on this please let me know.
Thanks
kevin

Try these two sites;
TriangleDads.com | The Triangle's Original Dad Community
CarolinaParent.com | Carolina Parent | A resource for parents in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Durham & other Triangle cities

Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,101 times
I would suggest staying in a area that is mainly professional because you will find that some people are sensitive about the fact you were raised in the north. I never believed in a million years that prejudice existed like that in N.C. I moved to Wake Forest from New jersey about four years ago, I loved it at first it felt like vacation, than I realized that the local people were not excepting. I moved back home to N.J. within the first year, It was hard financially on us but I could not live in isolation. I would suggest that when you and your wife decide to have children that you use private schools,the class sizes are larger than the ones generally in the north. However, their curriculum is much more advanced which was surprising to me, my kids had some catching up to do academically. Take your time buying and make sure it is not only a desirable house for you, but that you can turn it over quickly if needed. We had an amazing Realtor that helped us make a good choice with the turn over of our house, although when we bought it we never thought we would move. They made sure our best interests were there, I would highly recommend Bud and Rose Brogal (919) 649-4946. Good Luck!!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times
Rolesville is the new hot spot.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negirldawn View Post
I would suggest staying in a area that is mainly professional because you will find that some people are sensitive about the fact you were raised in the north. I never believed in a million years that prejudice existed like that in N.C. I moved to Wake Forest from New jersey about four years ago, I loved it at first it felt like vacation, than I realized that the local people were not excepting. I moved back home to N.J. within the first year, It was hard financially on us but I could not live in isolation. I would suggest that when you and your wife decide to have children that you use private schools,the class sizes are larger than the ones generally in the north. However, their curriculum is much more advanced which was surprising to me, my kids had some catching up to do academically. Take your time buying and make sure it is not only a desirable house for you, but that you can turn it over quickly if needed. We had an amazing Realtor that helped us make a good choice with the turn over of our house, although when we bought it we never thought we would move. They made sure our best interests were there, I would highly recommend Bud and Rose Brogal (919) 649-4946. Good Luck!!
I'm sorry you didn't like Wake Forest. Since you've already moved away, would you mind sharing what you meant by "locals not accepting." Some examples? I only ask because so many people moved to Wake Forest during the boom years. The population more than doubled. Seems like you had some "bad luck" by not meeting more newcomers. Heritage and Wakefield (though technically Raleigh) are full of transplants.. most willing/wanting to make friends since they had been separated from family.

I do agree certain parts of Wake Forest have a more local feel - mainly historic downtown neighborhoods, Hardees Restaurant, The Forks Restaurant, some of the local clubs, etc..etc...

Again, I'm sorry you had to live in isolation and I hope you are happier now.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Default Air quality

Poor air quality is no rumor. In summer, every year, there are "red" and "orange" days, and people who are sensitive, such as asthmatics, are advised to stay indoors. (My asthma was caused by food allergies, so once I realized that, it wasn't an issue anymore, but when I had it, summer = misery. I still want to go back north in the summer. It's often way too hot in the summer for some children to play outside. Forget sliding on slides in the summer. Northern summers are glorious. Southern summers are just way too hot, and the only good place to spend them is at the beach. Unfortunately, few can afford to stay at the beach for two or three months.)

Here is a link to a government web site of an air quality alert from July 2008 for our area: AIR QUALITY OFFICIALS ISSUE HEALTH NOTICE (If the document is not there any more, Google "NC Division of Air Quality" and then search for AIR QUALITY OFFICIALS ISSUE HEALTH NOTICE.)

Raleigh is not smoky. It does not have the factories that so many northeastern cities have. You will see smog on I-40 rising over the great migration of cars on the way to RTP on many mornings.

As far as 45-15, I have no idea what that means. You mean year round? Yes, many schools are year round, and you'll find many posts on that topic -- just search for "year round" and "Wake County schools."

As you may have read elsewhere, the general advice for newcomers is this: Don't come here without a job. There are no jobs. Companies offering low-level jobs are getting hundreds of resumes. So please, please, please, don't come down here without a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbayarrilmt View Post

Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
As you may have read elsewhere, the general advice for newcomers is this: Don't come here without a job. There are no jobs. Companies offering low-level jobs are getting hundreds of resumes. So please, please, please, don't come down here without a job.
Just want to reiterate this...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There are no jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Companies offering low-level jobs are getting hundreds of resumes.
Which way is it? There are no jobs or companies are offering jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary