Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,948,581 times

Advertisements

What are the healthiest restaurants in the Triangle region? We love going out to lunch especially and would like try healthier meals that are also delicious. Places that know how to use a light smattering of herbs and vinegars to produce surprisingly good dishes. And when you go there, what are some of your favorite choices on the menu?

edited to add:The idea of this post is to identify items and places that use healthy eating guidelines, like our local physicians are pushing. Less white flour, salt, sugar, etc and more veggies and fruits with less quantity of red meats. My general approach in the fast has been if it tastes good don't ask what is in it, but maybe foods can still taste good and be healthy, LOL.

Last edited by luv4horses; 05-17-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

6,649 posts, read 5,543,546 times
that's a really broad question

Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM

307 posts, read 375,093 times
Neomonde, I like the chicken schwarma but pretty much everything I have tried is delicious.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,208,172 times
On the rare occasion that I get motivated to eat a salad, I like Diced in Cary.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM

748 posts, read 1,371,368 times
Heres a link I found online. The only one Ive tried on the list is Saladelia and it was very good. A couple of my colleagues have tried Vegan Flava Cafe and gave good reviews. These restaurants are in Durham. Im sure there is a similar list for Raleigh too.

https://foursquare.com/top-places/du...ginFailed=true

Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,326,240 times
When ordering get the plain steamed veggies (no butter!!!) or salad with balsamic vinaigrette vs fries. That will cut ~400 calories from the meal right there.

Avoid anything creamy, any pasta, and anything with a large carb in it. The burrito at Chipolte has 300 calories *by itself*, not including the stuff inside. Avoid mayonnaise. No alcohol or sugary drinks - stick with diet or water with lemon.

If ordering a salad avoid any cheeses or any creamy dressing. Strictly stick to vinaigrettes. Have to watch though, some have 150+ calories per serving (typically 2 tbls) and some have around 20-40. Huge difference.

I found it's just easier and better to cook at home most times. I bring food with me when I travel.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM

569 posts, read 436,795 times
B Good comes to mind - not sure of calories etc. but they seem to use more fresh/whole ingredients. One in North Hills and another at Park West Village in Cary.

There are many places where you can make healthy choices but honestly most restaurants have a variety of "good" and "bad" foods to choose from.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,565,631 times
Fiction kitchen is amazing in downtown Raleigh. Great healthy choices. Also love the salads at yard house if you're careful with dressings.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM

22,621 posts, read 36,559,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
B Good comes to mind - not sure of calories etc. but they seem to use more fresh/whole ingredients. One in North Hills and another at Park West Village in Cary.

There are many places where you can make healthy choices but honestly most restaurants have a variety of "good" and "bad" foods to choose from.
This is the one I was thinking of. Be careful of the salad with the roasted corn. They seemed to use deer feed corn (more fiber?) and I nearly broke my teeth on it. But it's right next to Rise LOLOL.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM

6,649 posts, read 5,543,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I agree - obviously there are some restaurants where there are slim pickings for healthy options but for the most part, it's what you choose to eat, not what you choose to eat. Look at the ingredients, keep track of what you're eating and if you're not eating enough fruits/vegetables or too much meat for example, pick options that compensate what you're not getting nutritionally.

Avoid: beef, pork, butter, cream, cheese, baked goods, trans fat, fried foods, processed snack foods etc... Also just get water if you can help it instead of a drink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary