Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 PM

61 posts, read 54,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup. Fought YR (which they were supposed to be), fought trailers, and then they were shocked SHOCKED I TELL YOU when they divided up one of the neighbors and are sending them to the new elementary school. Next round of teeth gnashing comes next year when they reassign a lot of them to Alston Ridge Middle, and then the final round of angst when they get assigned to Green Level HS. Sometimes it's better to give an inch up front than have a yard taken from you later.
It's going to be a big reassignment year in 2019 for Mills Park and western Cary in general. Parkside Elementary will open in Morrisville so that will likely bleed over into Alston Ridge and Mills Park elementary schools. Alston Ridge Middle will also open that year and affect several schools, especially Mills Park Middle. Green Level High will open as well to grab kids from Green Hope and Panther Creek high schools. To make it even more interesting, the school board is punting for now on whether to convert Alston Ridge Elementary to a traditional calendar and whether they'll still open Alston Ridge Middle on the traditional calendar.

This presentation from Tuesday's school board meeting about the 2018-19 enrollment plan is worth viewing:

https://simbli.eboardsolutions.com/M...92740&MID=3318
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I didn't even know about Parkside till a friend who lives in Breckenridge told me about it. They will draw first from Cedar Fork, though (which Breckenridge is assigned to) as that school has been capped since it opened. The rest of the base will be interesting to see.

I'm also curious what the base zone for Green Level HS will be, wouldn't mind getting reassigned to a brand new school but I don't think it will happen for my neighborhood. They have a couple years to decide since Apex HS will be using it for 2 years.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:31 PM

16 posts, read 44,689 times
Question: for those school became capped, is that mean they dont accept any grade students for a whole year ? Or just certain grade ?? I am from texas . Thanks guys

Old 05-24-2017, 04:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
by default, you cannot move into the school's assignment zone and register a child for class there.

Any child, any grade, that year. However, there have been cases where (for example) the 3rd grade class had spaces and so they would add a 3rd grade child.

But your default assumption should be "if I move into that school zone, my children will not attend that school now/in August/when the track starts".

However, if you're moving into a capped school with your kids that aren't yet eligible (say, a 4 year old a year away), then you will MOST LIKELY get admitted to that school the next year when they are K's.

If that's clear as mud, just let me know!

Old 05-24-2017, 04:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

However, if you're moving into a capped school with your kids that aren't yet eligible (say, a 4 year old a year away), then you will MOST LIKELY get admitted to that school the next year when they are K's.
I never understood it that way. Is this really the case?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
if you move into a home today and your child turns 5 after Sept 1, then the chances they'll get into a capped school for 2018-2019 kindergarten are extremely high. There are 2 caveats:

1. the K class siblings of existing students (would be students in 2018) get priority - we won't break up families.

2. there aren't enough folks that moved into that assignment zone before you that don't fall under 1.

So, if they decide the desired K class is 100 kids...and 70 have siblings already at the school, then there are only 30 slots for new K's. If 30 oldest kids moved into the zone before you, you're out of luck.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you move into a home today and your child turns 5 after Sept 1, then the chances they'll get into a capped school for 2018-2019 kindergarten are extremely high. There are 2 caveats:

1. the K class siblings of existing students (would be students in 2018) get priority - we won't break up families.

2. there aren't enough folks that moved into that assignment zone before you that don't fall under 1.

So, if they decide the desired K class is 100 kids...and 70 have siblings already at the school, then there are only 30 slots for new K's. If 30 oldest kids moved into the zone before you, you're out of luck.
That's good to know, I wasn't aware of that. I thought that if you moved to an area while a school was capped, if it was still capped when your kid was of age, that you were pretty much out of luck.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:47 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's good to know, I wasn't aware of that. I thought that if you moved to an area while a school was capped, if it was still capped when your kid was of age, that you were pretty much out of luck.

The way it was explained to me is that the cap was handled by grade. For example. they can max out a k-3 class at 24 kids. One grade might be full but another could have some room. You have to call the school. They will want to see proof of your address. Kindergarten is easier to get into with a cap.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 PM

61 posts, read 54,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's going to depend on the school, but odds are that after a year or two you'll be able to get into the capped school when space opens up. The problem then is do you want to move your child out after having been acclimated to a school for awhile. Families who've been on the capped list the longest get priority when space opens up.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
We moved into the boundaries of a capped high school and after a year and a half I received a call from the school and was told that there was space for my kids. We declined since they were happy with their school. We knew prior to moving into the boundaries of the capped school, but our first preference for school was the overflow school - the cap just made our home selection area larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary