Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

Back in 2000 when I couldn't afford fancy solid wood furniture, I bought an Ikea desk for a new apartment. I took it apart and put it back together three times in the 16 years that I had it. When we were moving here I decided to part with it, and my neighbor snatched it right up.

It was simple but built well, sturdy, and didn't suffer from me taking it apart previously. I think there is a market for this kind of furniture.

I'm not a fan of 'disposable' products but people need furniture that is going to fit into their financial needs. Since we've had dogs (and I imagine it's the same with kids), there's a certain amount of damage you need to expect. I pick and choose a mix of nicer pieces that I think we can keep pristine and more affordable pieces that will probably be trashed in a few years or are mostly decorative and not so functional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
I'm going to be driving to Charlotte within the next few weeks for a new desk from Ikea. Their styles and price point suits me just fine. Besides, needs change over time - back when everyone had a desktop computer and monitor there were those big desks built specifically to hold those items (plus file cabinets for all those important papers you needed to keep!). Now most people use a laptop, and want to be able sit or stand while working. Maybe virtual desks in VR will be next!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Danville PA.
No, Danville Virginia. Just over the NC line.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, Danville Virginia. Just over the NC line.
Oh.
Cheaper labor for domestic-made Asian junque.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
A lot of it is press board and not solid wood furniture. And then you have to build it at home.

I remember reading someone's trouble with a triple-wide bookcase. Built it for a space in the basement (so, not around here) and then years later when moving, couldn't get it out of the basement.
I have a big IKEA 5x5 Expedit shelf in my basement around here. It's fairly large and heavy, but I would just take it apart if I wanted to move it. I also have built in shelves in the basement that would have to stay. Can't take them apart.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Well, a lot of it may be made of press board, but it does last...I have a sofa bed, now in my sun room, that I've had for 16 years, and it has moved houses twice. I did buy on line a new slipcover for it, and it looks just fine. That's one of the advantages of IKEA furniture -- you can get new slipcovers, etc. easily since there's so much of it out there (including discontinued lines, like that of my sofa bed). Other items, similar stories.

And, for those of us who like such styles, their towels are great. Not too fluffy, sturdy, and not at all expensive.

As greenie72 said, the key is to mix the IKEA judiciously with other, more substantial or interesting pieces.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 AM

Why can't people take furniture apart before moving? It's not that hard. You can't hold it against the furniture maker if you buy and put together large furniture but your doorways / hallways / staircases in your home don't allow you to take it out. Just dismantle it.

TROSA took my heavy wood sleigh bed apart to get it out of my bedroom. Took them no time.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post

As greenie72 said, the key is to mix the IKEA judiciously with other, more substantial or interesting pieces.
I have a mix of nice stuff from Restoration Hardware, Raymour & Flanigan and not as nice stuff from JC Penney, Ikea, Wayfair and consignment shops.

The damage two Labradors did to living room furniture taught me not to spend a lot of money there.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Back in 2000 when I couldn't afford fancy solid wood furniture, I bought an Ikea desk for a new apartment. I took it apart and put it back together three times in the 16 years that I had it. When we were moving here I decided to part with it, and my neighbor snatched it right up.

It was simple but built well, sturdy, and didn't suffer from me taking it apart previously. I think there is a market for this kind of furniture.

I'm not a fan of 'disposable' products but people need furniture that is going to fit into their financial needs. Since we've had dogs (and I imagine it's the same with kids), there's a certain amount of damage you need to expect. I pick and choose a mix of nicer pieces that I think we can keep pristine and more affordable pieces that will probably be trashed in a few years or are mostly decorative and not so functional.
Back in the late 80s, I bought a 2 piece wall unit with glass doors on the upper unit. I used it for about a dozen years and moved it three times. It's now in the hands of one of my best friends and his family has moved it 4 times. It's still going strong 30 years later.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I still have some IKEA stuff from the mid-90s. There's one low dresser that I think I bought in 1994 that has been painted twice and traveled with me a ton of times. It lives in my closet - it's so cheap and has been so easy to move I've found no need to get rid of it! Extra storage. I also have some finials from that same time and still look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary