Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Generally speaking, Durham feels an incredibly safe city to me. Having lived in some truly sketch places (New Haven, CT), there is no comparison. My wife feels safe walking around Durham alone at night. I didn't feel safe walking around New Haven alone during the day. (I'm using that as an example, but I've certainly had similar experiences with other cities).

Truthfully, I think a lot depends on your situation and finances. If you are middle to upper-middle class or above, it's generally very easy to avoid crime most anywhere. If you are poor and need to live in a low-income area I(as sad as this is) it becomes much more difficult. This is largely true in Durham since it's pretty concentrated in East Durham, though I'd argue a bit easier to escape here just because COL is so low overall.

Basically, don't go buy crack at 2 AM and there is a good chance you'll never notice the crime outside of people who don't live in Durham or spend time there telling you how unsafe it is. Many high level professionals live here (Duke faculty, RTP scientists) and I promise they aren't all robbed on a daily basis.
Exactly. Let's be real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
This is a strange thread.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
This is a strange thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Mz_IqpZX8

Old 05-29-2017, 09:39 AM

74 posts, read 67,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW View Post
Raleigh is one the facetious cities in America.

facetious

1. 1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish just being facetious
  2. 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious a facetious remark

Grammar police here....

Easy now! It was clear he meant fastidious

Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
I feel a hell of a lot safer in Durham than I do in Danville. Durham is definitely not a war zone.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
I live in Durham and I feel pretty safe here. People make us out to be Southside Chicago lite when it's not necessarily the case.

That being said, I made a Google MyMap of places that should be avoided IMO

http://bit.ly/2iMfmG6

Old 05-29-2017, 11:20 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
People make us out to be Southside Chicago lite when it's not necessarily the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2a5CjKOTlg

Old 05-29-2017, 12:30 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Was pretty shocked at the crime rate for Durham in 2016.. Looks like the murder rate is almost on par with some other fairly violent metros, such as Memphis, Tennessee. Durham had a murder rate of like 17.0 / 100,000 compared to Memphis which was about 20.5/ 100,000.

I hear there is serious gang issue in Durham and most of the murders involve gang and drug warfare. Can anyone tell me which part of Durham is most plagued with this massive crime epidemic in the city? Does the crime in Durham spill over to Raleigh or surrounding areas?

I was considering living in Durham if I move to the Triangle, but after reading the crime statistics I think I will reconsider and look at Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill or one of the other cities in the Triangle, instead.

Here is the article where I read about this violent crime epidemic and record high murder rate in the city for last year:
Violent crime in Durham: Homicides, shootings remain high in 2016 | News & Observer
I should warn you that bringing up the crime statistics of Durham on this forum will result in
posters claiming they "feel" safe in Durham because they have never been a victim or how
other places are worse. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:38 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwalla View Post
Easy now! It was clear he meant fastidious

or feculent.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:58 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
From the article:
Turf wars
Many of those involved have a gang background, Glenn said, but the driving factor seems to be drug sales and turf wars.
Michelle Young, project manager for Durham gang prevention and intervention program Project Build, linked some of the shootings and deaths to conflicts among several different groups and neighborhoods.
“Some of (the conflicts) go back decades and for whatever reason they just kind of popped up,” this year and last year, she said.
One violent act, she said, starts a retribution cycle.

Read more here: Violent crime in Durham: Homicides, shootings remain high in 2016 | News & Observer

CapitalBlvd can take comfort knowing that they are saving us a ton of money in court costs and Duke Power bills.
Problem is good people caught in the crossfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary