Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times

Advertisements

Looking through the Wake Tech catalog of summer courses, I see a couple that seem a bit questionable.

1) "Stock Options with Sam"
The description mentions using the “time-tested Fort Knox Trading System”. A Google search on that found few results, none with that exact name (though I only went through the first few pages). I did see reference to binary options, so it may be a system for that. Option trading is more risky than just investing in stocks (brokerages may require approval to allow investors to trade options), but I have seen articles that refer to binary options as pure gambling.

2) "Get Paid to Shop – You really can earn a living as a Mystery Shopper"
The course description is not as enthusiastic, mentioning that you can “earn income”, but the course title seems misleading. I am not aware of anyone that makes a living as a Mystery Shopper.

Maybe I am reading more into this than there really is, but when I see courses at Wake Tech, I assume they have been vetted and are appropriate for the audience. The first one seems very risky. I would hate for someone to take the course, then lose a bunch of money in options trading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I have a suspicion that you are looking at the "Lifelong Learning" programs. Those are not really part of Wake Tech College. And, in fact, you may be looking at the Wake Forest Township.

I've known several people who do mystery shopping and you're correct. They do not make a living from it. That can get free meals, free car washing, free groceries, free nights in a resort (for listening to the time share deals), free oil changes, free dry cleaning, etc on a regular basis. Some pay a little extra in cash in addition to the freebies.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 25,447 times
Are these courses for credit or are they the personal interest/learning annex type courses?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have a suspicion that you are looking at the "Lifelong Learning" programs. Those are not really part of Wake Tech College. And, in fact, you may be looking at the Wake Forest Township.
The cover notes it is "a publication of the Wake County Public School System". The courses are listed as either LL (Lifelong Learning) or WT (Wake Tech). The two I mentioned are noted as LL. Thanks for bringing that up, as I did not notice the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary